as anybody heard of this about LP's before?

EvLectric

Reaction score
Man, I can't wait for the new server! Almost lost this whole thing, & I actually thought I'd TRIPLE posted it. Thank God I copied it! Anyway...

In the Pawn Stars SG thread, Indyclone posted this quote, but I have no idea where he got it from. I didn't include the next part pertaining to SG's/SGLP's because it isn't really relevant here:
1960 Gibson Les Paul Sunburst Standard guitar specs:
Early 1960 sunburst Les Pauls are identical to their 1959 cousins, but change was coming. By around serial numbers in the "0 0700" range, the neck contour starts to have a slightly thinner back shape (though this change didn't take full affect until much later in the year). Around serial numbers in the "0 2200" range, the sunburst finish changed too. The easily faded 1959 cherry red sunburst morphed to a "tomato soup" or "tangerine" red sunburst, which was much less sensitive to sun fading. The change to the tomato soup red sunburst was not fully made until around serial numbers in the "0 7xxx" range though (note there is HUGE gap in serial numbers from "0 3200" to "0 6999" there were essential no sunburst Les Pauls made). By this time, all 1960 sunburst Les Pauls have the tomato soup or tangerine sunburst finish. Also at the same time, "reflector" knobs (those with metal top caps) replace the "bonnet" knobs (those with clear tops) around serial number "0 7000". Finally, white bobbin humbucker pickups also ended about this time. The tuner keystone buttons has changed in 1960 to have two rings.
Okay, so far cool, but:
Very late 1960 sunburst Les Pauls have a wider peghead too (as used on the double cutaway SG/Les Paul). The last 1960 sunburst Les Paul serial number known is "011495" (another late 1960 Gibson Sunburst Les Paul is "010838"). Sunburst Les Pauls with a tomato soup or tangerine sunburst finish, reflector knobs, and a thin neck shape are not nearly as desirable as their 1958 to mid-1960 cousins. There is another large serial number gap for Les Paul sunbursts in 1960 after "0 77xx", with few examples showing up with later serial numbers.

Is this to mean the last few singlecut sunburst Lesters had a big Custom/Norlin-esque headstock? This is something I've never heard before, & I'm not sure I buy it. Can anybody verify this? Pics? I didn't think even SGLP Standards had a bigger headstock than a fifties LP Standard, but I'm not up as much on early SG's as Lesters. It doesn't look to me if Les' SG Standard on this album cover had any bigger of a headstock. If it is, it's not by much. I mean, maybe I'm wrong, but this is news to me. I've often wondered why my friend's 61 reissue had a large headstock(and a nashville bridge, but...).
WarmandWonderfulcovershot.jpg

Clarification be be greatly appreciated. Indy, where did you get this info?

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I finally figured out what exactly it is you're talking about!:applause:

As for any single-cut models having a "wider headstock", I've personally never seen/heard of any? And, if they were "wider", it couldn't have been enough to make very much of a difference?

EvLectric

Reaction score
Wow, I didn't think that happened until much later. Les' doesn't seem that big on the album cover, but hey, what do I know? Explains my friend's reissue! But I've still never heard of a singlecut 60 with a large headstock. I'd really like to see a pic of one.
Man, we'd have been h3ll on a debating team in school!:laugh2:
Off topic:)shock:), but doesn't the later 60's SG Standards like SoloDallas' avatar have a smaller head than this one?
Was I seeing things? Didn't you just have a pic up before I posted this?

Latest Threads