Artists you just don’t get...

fry

Reaction score
Something just reminded me of another big one that I never got, Devo. I live not too far from where they were founded, so I think everybody around here has a soft spot in their heart for them. I never liked anything they did, just crap. And, while I was typing that another one came to mind, The B-52s. Thanks, but no thanks. I always thought they sounded like silly novelty stuff, the likes of weird Al Yankovic, not to be taken seriously.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
After all these years I still don't get why people think the goddam caterwauling of John Coltrane starting with Ascension equals transcendence. No wonder two key members of his Classic Quartet took a hike not long after that. McCoy Tyner himself said he couldn't deal with the "squeakers, howlers, shriekers and honkers [the] boss invited onto the bandstand." It's what you play to a prisoner you want confessing to his crimes with a guarantee he'll fess up before one minute of such torture music is done.

My Coltrane library stops chronologically at A Love Supreme; the only things I've acquired since involve the Classic Quartet: One Down, One Up (the live set from the Half Note in 1965) and Both Directions at Once (previously-unissued Classic Quartet recordings).
Try giving the album John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman a listen. It's an album of ballads featuring Johnny Hartman on vocals.

When Coltrane isn't blowing 100 notes per measure, he does play some lovely, melodic lines and fills, especially the tune My One And Only Love.

Reactions: ehb

EasyAce

Reaction score
Try giving the album John Coltrane and Johnny Hartman a listen. It's an album of ballads featuring Johnny Hartman on vocals.

When Coltrane isn't blowing 100 notes per measure, he does play some lovely, melodic lines and fills, especially the tune My One And Only Love.

I have it. It's from 1963, when Coltrane still knew how to make music and not noise; and, when he still hadn't begun abandoning everything he was and driving the Classic Quartet apart on behalf of that abandonment.

EasyAce

Reaction score
I think the same goes for hard core Lou / Velvet Underground fans, they don't like it. Must be the professional, talented musicians that are a turn-off for them.
I can name three live albums involving Lou Reed that are far superior . . .

1611709998759.png

1611710029559.png

1611710104084.png

. . . and I'm a guy who loved both Rock & Roll Animal and its companion Lou Reed Live.

HomerThompson

Reaction score
You understand anything you listen to enough. Whether you like it immediately or not is a different question. Yoko Ono comes to mind, i just don’t get it, but people who listen to her will understand more than the shrillness that i hear.
PS. Bob dylan is the man

jc2000

Reaction score
In the classic rock era.. Grateful Dead..The Doors...I just cant listen to them.
All other era's....everything.

PeteK

Reaction score
You understand anything you listen to enough. Whether you like it immediately or not is a different question. Yoko Ono comes to mind, i just don’t get it, but people who listen to her will understand more than the shrillness that i hear.
PS. Bob dylan is the man
No one actually likes Yoko Ono. They just say they do to score some pretentious "artistic" points with their friends and relatives.

HomerThompson

Reaction score
No one actually likes Yoko Ono. They just say they do to score some pretentious "artistic" points with their friends and relatives.
I agree with that for the most part, theres gotta be like....4 people that actually get it. Right?

HomerThompson

Reaction score
Well, there was only 1 for sure, and he got shot a long time ago.
Well he was a pretty solid artist, so he got something that i dont, thats a good thing, it should be different, i wish John was still around, i feel like he helped people be a little more perceptive

Latest Threads