Artist who have had great backing!

spoony

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'll go first. Last night I was listening to some Bowie and realized what a great bunch of musicians he has had backing him over the course of his career. So many iconic guitar riffs over the years. Everyone of his albums had something refreshingly different from the last.

So many great albums. Who have you been listening too who's had a great career that also included great support?

s

Last edited:

OldBenKenobi

Reaction score
Ozzy's solo career has historically been such a showing for his band that when he finally puts together an album performed entirely by producers and session players it feels bizarre, a rare case for a singer's solo act.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
Steve Earle
Lucinda Williams
Neil Young

I guess I could add Tom Petty and Bruce Springsteen, but I feel like even though it was the artist's name in the lights, the band was largely the same throughout their careers, so I don't really consider them "hired guns" or "backing musicians".

MSB

Reaction score
My first thought was Tom Petty. Chris Stapleton doesn't bring slouches on tour either.

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Three Dog Night. Killer backing band. Michael Allsup with his gold top and Jimmy Greenspoon on the Hammond.

I saw them live around '72 at the peak of their fame. Absolutely fantastic concert!

LocoTex

Reaction score
B. B. King
James Brown
Eric Clapton
Elton John

MikeyTheCat

Premium Member
Reaction score
Three Dog Night. Killer backing band. Michael Allsup with his gold top and Jimmy Greenspoon on the Hammond.

I saw them live around '72 at the peak of their fame. Absolutely fantastic concert!

A man-band. All’s up is one of my guitar heroes.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Jackson Browne. I don't listen to him often, but the quality and musicality is almost always outstanding.

MooCheng

Reaction score
The Highwaymen must be a who's who of some of the finest musicians ever around, past and present

Reggie Young, Lloyd Green, Moonie, Rodney Crowell, Paul English, Leland Sklar, are just a few

incredible to think how many wonderful musicians have played in that band

Latest Threads