Artificial aging vs the real deal

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
How come paying a company or luthier thousands of dollars to sand abrasions into your guitar, smack it with chains and belt buckles, freeze it, fade it, cut in checking with a razor blade, dull and rust metal pieces with chemicals, increases the value, but real honest wear from playing and dropping and general exposure to life and use decreases the value?

X–Ray

Cowbell by Misadventure
Reaction score
Gee GR, this question has never been asked around here....

You've been warned :thumb:

:D

TheX

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
People pay a lot of money to be able to pretend their guitars have that mojo that they *THINK* old guitars have.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
X–Ray;7852760 said:
Gee GR, this question has never been asked around here....

You've been warned :thumb:

:D
Oh, I figured, but it's time to get it awn! :naughty:

moreles

Reaction score
Relic-ing increases price, not necessarily value. It remains to be seen if fake vintage effects end up having value, over time, justifying the cost. Personally, I hope not, because there is absolutely zero musical value in this fakery and I tend to think of guitars as musical instruments, not material manifestations of my ego, fantasies, etc.

Nippon

You looking at me?
Reaction score
The CC's are the worst. Same marks and scratches in the same places. Fake and bizarre is how I see the CC's.

VOS goes far enough for me.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
Relic-ing increases price, not necessarily value. It remains to be seen if fake vintage effects end up having value, over time, justifying the cost. Personally, I hope not, because there is absolutely zero musical value in this fakery and I tend to think of guitars as musical instruments, not material manifestations of my ego, fantasies, etc.
I love you man, in a manly Viking kind of way of course.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
its really pretty simple, a real vintage guitar can cost a lot of $$ and there are only a few examples of that particular guitar....you can gig with it and risk damaging it or getting it stolen, broken, beer dumped on it...

Or you can have an artist make a pretend one that you can jam with ...without the worry and hassle....We are in a world where anything is possible, if you can pay for it...Want an aged guitar but don't want to break a real one? Done!

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
People pay a lot of money to be able to pretend their guitars have that mojo that they *THINK* old guitars have.
Yep.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
The real story is...if you own a guitar that is old, but needs repaired, the luthier should know how to age his work to match.

So if there is a headstock break, (for instance) and the guitar had real mojo, but the repair will look obvious because it will require paint...it only makes sense to try and blend that in....and there are some nice examples done by members who hang out here.

I guess that carried over, and the product sells....I prefer them aged because I can be rough with my gear.

you shoulda seen my Tonka trucks as a kid...:naughty:

ESchmidt

Reaction score
Many people, myself included, could never have the financial means to purchase a $150,000 Les Paul burst. Instead we could get a modern one "done up" to look and feel like one of the old ones. It's really as simple as that. Some people want a bright shiny new guitar, some people would rather have an old looking one. Neither is right or wrong, just personal preference.

TheX

Voice of Reason
Reaction score
Having binding and fake aging have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
Hey I love my aged stuff...CC#7 is aged, I have an Aged R8 (the artistry is exquisite on that one), and a Historic Makeover R9....which is twice the guitar it was....

I don't give a poop what anyone thinks, I paid my dues, and I play the piss out of them.

Rock on!

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
Many people, myself included, could never have the financial means to purchase a $150,000 Les Paul burst. Instead we could get a modern one "done up" to look and feel like one of the old ones. It's really as simple as that. Some people want a bright shiny new guitar, some people would rather have an old looking one. Neither is right or wrong, just personal preference.
:wave:

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
There is no tonal difference whatsoever...

Playability can change dramatically, the fit like a glove, and plays like butta, stuff is a reality...
However some do not like the missing finish on some of the necks...I too didn't like it at first...but you get used to the inclusions...I prefer less rather large hunks finish missing..

Also an overdone age job can just look stupid..

And as a personal opinon I really don't like super flamed tops that are over aged....or aged at all...Some LP's need to stay new looking to me...

I cant own a Gloss model for very long, I stress out over keeping it new looking ....its a maddening connundrum:shock:

jdto

Pretend Human
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm glad we're finally hashing this one out.

ACELUEK

ACE FREHLEY'S BASTARD SON
Reaction score
Ahh, they just can't afford them.

lespauldawg

Reaction score
absolutely zero musical value in this fakery
stole that line from Morales!!...I tend to agree

DADGAD

Reaction score
I think if it makes it look old and distressed and you like it, then who cares what anyone else thinks.

My Les Paul Classifieds