"Art" guitar in progress

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
The collective Hive Mind of MLP has proven rather weak, I suspect if hide glue isn't involved MLP doesn't care. Probably go with black speeds now just in spite.

Clearcoats are curing prior to wet sand and buff.

BKS

Reaction score
Oh wow that sparkling in the Sun is just stunning. That would be a great looker on a stage and anywere really. Now i want a guitar in that finish hmmm.
Btw, man i guess any of those .knobs would look good on that guitar. Why not add bronze knobs?

BKS

Reaction score
Do a Google search. Amber might also look good maybe. But than the color on monitors and screens can fool you.

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
New
Final levelling, sanding, polishing...

Without a buffing wheel of any sort in house, I can't get a mirror finish, but she's close enough for this cowboy...

Now our attention turns to themes. I promised some mockup permutations

Theme 1 "Just a splash of Creme"

Theme 2 " I'll take it Black""

Now we pause for 20 minutes to scrape some frackin' Krylon off a cream pup ring some chucklehead thought was a wonderful idea

Theme 3 "Half and Half"
(Found a matching zebra bucker)

Theme 4 "Double-Double"

I could also go zebra bridge and creme up front, didn't take that picture, call it theme 5 "Heavy Creme"

Anything jump out here for you guys like head and shoulders above?

BKS

Reaction score
I like the double zebra.
Another option would be cream with Black ring and the other Black with cream ring haha.

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
Tell us more about the straps and accessories. I love your creativity.
I am the guy behind Well-Hung Guitar Straps (and stuff), thanks for asking!

I'm always coming up with new ideas, but the latest on the
sewing deck right now, tonight (which I was able to complete after I had to take the machine apart and re-sync the needle and hook, thank God I learned how to do it myself, expensive shop repair)... were these cool things...

Seasoned MLP Strapoholics will see these and JUST KNOW.
My improved version of the classic Saugerties strap...
The Strap of Legends... wider than the original, padded, no-slip, heavy harness leather ends, no metal rings or rivets. Not one of these has hit the streets yet, just got the ribbon in last week but I already have several orders and as you may expect this embroidered ribbon is in limited supply (got lucky).

I do some custom work, simple tooling, etc... some repro... gilmour/hendrix etc... Like this for example... a popular one.
All five below went to one guy.

Right now I'm getting ready to attend the Edmonton Guitar show in Late September, I've got over a hundred built! I'll be taking a few of my funnest guitars too.

As far as I know I am the only guy still making these... leather guitar strap locks rattle free, no extra leverage, no bits, no pieces, very secure.

A time-tested solution to the security problem. Every player who has picked up a set has been so very pleased, word must be getting out on these, as they are becoming slightly more popular even over just the past few months.

Old School Leather Guitar Strap Locks

I also market these Flipped-Out retrofit custom chip toggle plates...

My own design, oversize strap button I call 'em Pro-Pins, now on tour with several bands you might know, The Sheepdogs for one. These jumbo strap buttons eliminate the need for gadgetry, and banish strap doubt from your mind, but they are not for every guitar.

That's about it for now, Who... if you choose to search me out on the web you'll find me. And I sure hope you do!

Last edited:

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
Put together tonight, still need to line up the neck, do the nut work all proper. But here's the general aesthetic

Man it's been a couple years since I did much for electrics, man sometime getting those wires through them holes can be such a pain. In. The. arse! Then I had one pot lug I struggled so hard to get a joint to take... so frustrating. Just wouldn't happen.

Not the best cowboy on the range with solder gun admittedly, I never look forward to this part of a reno.. but when you strike the first KERRANG! (If it's right) there's a lot of joy to be had. Not there yet with this one. Soon.

I like this look, feels right.

Last edited:

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
Worked on the electrics more today, according to a seymour diagram, got it all together, got the neck adjusted right, still need to tweak the nut a bit... but man oh man it's already close to dialed in, even the intonation seems decent, and action favourable ( I slip a chunk of 220 sandpaper folded in on itself in the neck pocket to keep the neck from wandering).

Players perspective....

might be the first ever home refinish where the back didn't turn out better than the front :run:

Installed some stylin' old school leather guitar strap locks, I'll be taking this instrument to a guitar show next week as a little demo piece for folks who are thirty and under and never seen 'em before :p

When the light hits it right the whole thing glows, because it's all metallic, but in other light just the metallic gold grainfill lights up. Very different and interesting.

Going to call operation Slammer-Jammer with the unveiling of the Golden Wolf Doghair finish a success. The floor polish finish is fully dry, not sticky at all. Feels great.

I know it's cliche, but this instrument feels completely different now. Take all that goopy finish off, and go thinner with the refinish, and a guitar will just plain come alive in your hands. Tru-oil neck feels luxe.

Just one problem... My electrical work was an utter and complete fail. LOL. No sound, not even a buzz! Back to the drawing board :facepalm: But looking at this thing makes me want to get it roaring all the faster. When I do, I'll be throwing up a clip for sure.

Thank you for coming along for the ride, I hope you enjoyed it, maybe picked an idea or two.

Last edited:

BKS

Reaction score
Sweet looking guitar, looks a thousend bucks to me. Enjoyed looking at the birth hahaha.

gadafi

Reaction score
I'm liking the 69'er and antiquity teles for sure.

The screamer and boneyard not really my cup of tea but cool all the same. Great work!

TVvoodoo

Reaction score
It's been a couple years since I took on a major guitar project. Saw one in progress by another dude on a forum last night, couldn't stop thinking starting another for myself. The virus got me, Had no shortage of ideas floating around in my head for my next just been a little to busy trying to keep the other guitar-related game I have going on the rails. Last night I got one of those creative idea bugs crawling around in my head, and laid awake for must have been an hour trying to figure out how to do it, and thankfully it will have a minimum of spraying chems involved, and I believe I have mostly enough parts in the parts bin to complete it... probably should get some nice locking tuners.

Ok I know it's kind of a weird shape for this forum. I this offends anyone, I'll gladly not post it here. less work for me...
But in the general interest of "Art" guitar, and the known fact that there are many, many secretive telecaster lovers here on MLP, (you know who you are), I'm laying it in here.

This morning I pulled out this sealed allparts tele body been sitting patiently way behind a bunch of other stuff in my shop, and set to getting it ready for this project. It has a few strange green stains on it, so firmly a painter. It got traded in for something years ago, been sitting wrapped in foam in a box. Also grabbed up this a beefy orange lacquered SX neck, fits the pocket like it was meant to be. Hand sanded the front of the body with 220 grit to give it some tooth.

The top is going to be the showpiece of this project, but it needs to get readyfied. I'll probably just use a tinted clear on the back, keep it mostly natural-looking. Pretty sure I have a hardtail bridge somewhere in the parts stash.

Outside, the leaves are coming down like crazy today, so it was quite the challenge. But we got the top sprayed safely, with two mist coats, three light coats, and one not so light coat. Went pretty smooth, maybe too smooth.

Sprayed it with something called "Krylon Crafters' Silver" - can which was probably about ten years old, sitting in my spray bomb cupboard. Shook the hell out of it, laid it in some hot water for fifteen minutes, sprayed perfect. I fact where I'm going , some orange peel would have been preferable, but it is what it is.

Pleased as punch with myself, I'm jauntily carrying my freshly sprayed body down the stairs to my workshop, paint stick in one hand, camera in the other. Missed that last step kinda funny and dammit if I didn't fall down onto a desk, but still somehow managed to keep the guitar safe. But crap if I didn't turn my ankle real bad. Had to get the frozen corn out.

Such is life. or it this a warning sign, some kind of omen for me to not go where this is gonna go?

Anyway, limped the body over to hang it safe in my shop rafters. I need to order some art materials for it, so don't expect any updates until there is maybe snow on the ground up here. This project is going to maybe my most ambitious reno, something fresh and fun, could be months in the making, Who doesn't love a good project?

In the meantime I have to make some templates as per the nutty ideas I had swimming all around in my head all last night.

Latest Threads