Army green paint help

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Hello everyone it's been a while since I've been on here but I'm looking for advice on paint for my build. I'm doing a les Paul jr single cut(of sorts) and the original plan was yellow with the don't tread on me snake logo. I have changed my mind to doing the guitar in an army green(od green jeep green etc.) with the snake logo in white kinda like the old ww2 air planes and tanks. I think that would be a unique paint scheme. However I'm trying to find a paint that will look good and hold up. I want to do a matte finish and the only thing I could think of is the "camo" spray paint that krylon makes. If anyone has any suggestions or experience with anything like this feel free to comment as I am open to anything.

This is my first build been in the works for a while. Been busy with college amongst other things and I'm hoping to get it to the painting stage soon.

Thanks, Andrew

mux164

Reaction score
might be worth going to an automotive store and get them to paint match the green your after. i did it once with a blue that i wanted, since i cant get legit pelham blue i will be going to the auto store and get a couple of cans made up

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
The ral chart is pretty cool. Will
Keep that for future reference. I like the cabelas paint as well. I dont have a spray gun yet so I might go with the cabelas in spray cans. Don't guess there is much difference between the normal paint and spray cans. How much would a spray gun set up cost?

TheHarleyMan2

Reaction score
Depends on how much you want to fork out for a compressor and sprayer. Years ago I got a 30gal compressor kit with air tools from Walmart for about $200, and I bought an additional automotive spray gun for like $30.

I repainted my Toyota pick up, (I used to do paint and body work), and it came out fine and the compressor and spray good did really well. If you have a small compressor, (1-3 gallon), you have to make sure you have constant air pressure supply to use a automotive spray gun.

Being you are looking to spray an Olive Drab flat/satin, it shouldn't matter using spray cans, but word of caution. Paint in spray cans need to be shook up really good so you don't get splatter spots, especially when the can is almost running on empty. I think if you go the spray can method and you are spraying the whole guitar front, back, sides, and neck you might need at max 2-3 cans, but it might be a thin finish. But also depends on how thick you want the finish as well, which could take more than 3 cans.

DrASATele

Reaction score
I have shot with a pancake compressor and a detail gun. Not as much coverage as a full size gun but it works. Harbor Frieght sells the gun for 10 -12 bucks and the 8 gal compressors are everywhere for all sorts of prices.

As for Army paint. I think the Genral Finishes Green Stain (waterbased) is a pretty deep military like green. I wanted a more vibrant green so I had to lighten it but it's a stain that might give you what you want and show off the grain if there is any. I'd top it with shellac (zinsser sealcoat) then some sort of urethane or 2k for durability both of which come in satin.

General Finishes has a very versitile line of finishes you could probably get a good camo with them.

Post some pix if you can!

AndrewLP1081996

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the input guys! I'm just about to glue the fretboard to the neck and shape the neck so it won't be long(in a building sense). Just have to find time to do it between college etc. lol. I have a good idea of what I want now to see if it pans out on the build I post pics when I have process. Thanks again! I'll probably go spray cans this time. I'll test on scrap to see how it looks

TheHarleyMan2

Reaction score
Ok thanks for the input guys! I'm just about to glue the fretboard to the neck and shape the neck so it won't be long(in a building sense). Just have to find time to do it between college etc. lol. I have a good idea of what I want now to see if it pans out on the build I post pics when I have process. Thanks again! I'll probably go spray cans this time. I'll test on scrap to see how it looks

WHAT? No pics already? Gotta have some pics! We love pics!

akwusmc

Reaction score
I'd also point out that military olive drab is a flat finish ...

aw

Bill Hicklin

Reaction score
Chrysler paint code DT7471, Ditzler 42955, Dupont 29149D. This was what all jeeps for the Army were painted in.

Latest Threads