Army Cuts Tuition Assistance Today

MeKevin

Reaction score
Brother, I get how you feel, but the whole reason I have my job is its actually more cost efficient to have contractors do it. Contractors will never replace operational combat units in my job though. All you see is what you are getting paid. What the governmant is paying out to operate an entire unit is actually much more than the 167k youre referring to for active duty to do it partly because of the schooling and continuing training involved. As a contractor, they dont send us to school, they rely mostly on prior military training to do the job. When we deploy, we get 100 % perdiem at the same rate as the military, and that means any unused funds get deducted from our pay, which can be quite a bit because either you use or you lose it. Its still a good gig, but the selling feature is that we can actually do the whole job cheaper than an active duty squadron would. i cant speak for any other fields, but thats how it is where I am.

Yeah, in a whole lot of areas, civillians are much cheaper. (especially if they are from other countries :confused: ) Civillians are much cheaper in support areas, like cooks and stuff. What gets me is how the Army pays civillians to do all the little jobs that could be done with details. Like pick up trash. I mean, I get that the main focus of the Army is to train, but we've been going all out for a decade now. It's hard to get more trained than that. The crap that we train on is useless and so much of our time gets taken up by frustrating bureaucracy.

In the barracks I stay in now, over the course of 2 years, I've seen civillians cleaning the hallways 5 times. I kid you not. That's not too much, they might do it once a month and I just don't catch them. That's flippin stupid though. Civillians cutting grass and picking up trash.

100 years ago, Soldiers did everything. They built the bases. With all our problems finding jobs when we get out, I don't think it would be too bad of an idea to get some on the job training building a road, electrical work. You could choose an area where you wanted some experience. Heck, they could even have us work at the PX for one week a month. Civillians cleaning the barracks though, smh.

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
Who's idea was the sequester? And who agreed to it in a compromise?

And only in DC is a cut in the rate of increased spending considered a cut in spending.

But let's not introduce facts or logic. Let's just keep playin' the chicken little card.

lunchbox

Reaction score
UAV's don't require a GI Bill.

I think the Luddites were on to something.

allbusinessjoe

Reaction score
I CLEP'd my ass off

I did as well. I CLEP'd out of a whole year of college. (All general requirement classes.) I studied and passed these exams while taking other courses.

It astonishes me how almost every college kid I've ever met has no ideal about these exams (or the DDST's) and they have no idea that every college in America accepts these exams for credit.

MeKevin

Reaction score
I wonder who thought it would be a good idea to suspend TA though. Just like the government, it seems like the Army is focusing on a bunch of small stuff, not the stuff that really matters.

I was supposed to have an EPASS and HAZMAT inspection team come out from the states in two weeks. Their TDY travel was denied. I mean, you can't find the money to fly a team of 6-7 people out to do required inspections that actually save money because they make sure we are in compliance with German law? In Kaiserslautern, the Army spends millions of dollars every year on environmental cleanup, I've got the slides on digits, but I don't know the exact number.

Right next door to me, they are building a billion dollar hospital to replace a prefectly fine hospital. Landstul is one of the nicest Army hospitals I've been in. They couldn't delay that for a year? Don't get me started on the F-35.

The Pentagon's F-35: The Most Expensive Weapon Ever Built - TIME

And you can't find money to send out inspectors and you suspend our TA? There's gonna be some backlash I'm thinking. Anyway.

Deftone

Reaction score
Don't get me started on the F35 either.

The F35 took away a lot of work and jobs from people at my company who were building the F22, which was highly successful and a lot less expensive.

MeKevin

Reaction score
Did you read all 5 pages of that article? I mean, I knew it was bad, but not that bad.

GNR4EVR

Epi Verification Expert
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don't get me started on the F35 either.

The F35 took away a lot of work and jobs from people at my company who were building the F22, which was highly successful and a lot less expensive.

Im right next door to the F35, trust me, its a POS. The only attribute that makes it remotely attractive is foreign sales which in the end, and in the Governments eyes, turns it into a freebee in the future. But if they dont get their heads out of their asses and make it worth its weight, there wont BE any foreign sales.

MeKevin

Reaction score
It's messed up man. I had read all about the delays, and the problems. But it doesn't even seem like the services want this thing. Like the article says, even if it worked, it's replacing the most elite jet fighter in the world, one that has never seen combat, and drones are the future. You could get a thousad drones for the price of this thing. No other countries are going to buy this thing.

Peeker

Reaction score
I don't understand most of the abbreviations used in this thread...:eek:

MeKevin

Reaction score
Peeker, I effin love your avatar. Is that you?

Peeker

Reaction score
it is, yes.
and thankee. :)

not the greatest pic of me ever, but hey...

MeKevin

Reaction score
It puts a twist on shit you say. It makes non funny stuff funny, funny stuff funnier and serious stuff more serious. I'm gonna have to look into changing mine.

Peeker

Reaction score
I don't know that I'm ever very serious...unless I'm confused at the time.
that's pretty serious.

Nicky

On The Road Less Traveled
Reaction score
You forgot the Constantly Drunk 1st SGT which is what
i had haha
Navy has Chiefs, but you cant drink on ship so they
guzzle coffee all day

My dad told me he never washed his coffee mug while in the Navy. If it was clean, someone would take it. :D

Bildz, hang in there. Once budget thing gets sorted out, TA should be restored.

coldsteal2

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My dad told me he never washed his coffee mug while in the Navy. If it was clean, someone would take it. :D

Bildz, hang in there. Once budget thing gets sorted out, TA should be restored.

Yes, if you grab your Chief's coffee cup and
put it in the dishwasher, you will end up with
an Article 15 and go before the man at Captain's Mass

they take thier Cofee cup crust very seriously

Scooter2112

Reaction score
Go read a paper; I'm not gonna explain the sequester to you. Suffice to say the Republican reps would rather soldiers not go to college and kids not go to school than have a millionaire pay a single dollar more in taxes.

How's that Kool-aid? :laugh2:

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
Yes, if you grab your Chief's coffee cup and
put it in the dishwasher, you will end up with
an Article 15 and go before the man at Captain's Mass

they take thier Cofee cup crust very seriously

That's seasoning, swabbie.

Latest Threads