Aria Pro ii LS800 with Gibson T Tops??

MikeyH

Reaction score
Hi guys, new to the forum so be gentle...

I have an Aria Pro ii LS800 1980 which Ive had for many years now. I always assumed it had the Dimarzio pickups but in black, but I was just giving it a good check over before I sell it (unfortunate situation) and I noticed the pickups have a T stamped into black plastic with some other markings on the top as well. They also have the bullseye type of markings on the pole pieces. Did they replicate these or could they have been originals added to the guitar at some point in its life? I havent taken them out yet as I'm not massively tech proficient!
thanks Mike
IMG_3945.JPG
IMG_3945.JPG

Ohjay

Reaction score
Most likely not T-tops.
Many, many japanese made pickups have bobbins with that T.

Depending on year of manufacture it could be Dimarzios or Matsumokus own MMK pickups.
The LS-800 I owned with MMK pickups were branded on the base plate, but MMK pickups can be unbranded as well.
Dimarzios are always branded on the base plate.

And yes, MMK's have the bobbins with the T.

[Edit]
I suppose I should also mention that if you have missed on the identification and the guitar actually is an LS-1800 then it will have Gibson pickups as stock.
And if it is an LS-1800 then I would be very, very, very interested (also if it would be an LS-1500).

MikeyH

Reaction score
Ah brilliant thank you! I really do need to attempt to see the backs really then? From what Ive read and researched, it looks like an 800 but as you well know, you never really can tell! Its a 3 piece neck, pancake body, cherry flame top 2 piece, fret edge binding, MOP inlays. ive just never seen one with black pickups, usually cream or zebra

Ohjay

Reaction score
If you want to identify the pickups, then yes.

The 3-piece neck and flame top (it's a veneer if LS-800) is a telltale sign of an LS-800.
The LS-1500/1800 have one-piece necks.
So just going by your description I would say that you are correct that it's an LS-800.
So the pickups are either Dimarzio, MMK or have been swapped by a previous owner (i.e. not original).

MikeyH

Reaction score
Not really sure how to price this at the moment. All the couriers wont insure now unless you have a hardcase!

EG700

Reaction score
While on this topic, I've just recently acquired a 1980 LS600 which, according to catalogue, should have left Matsumoku fitted with DiMarzio pickups. I started to take one out, in order to read whatever's stamped on the back, but immediately snapped the very first screw in half. They've never been out before now, and are stuck fast in the wood. So I screwed the broken stump back in (it still had 3 threads on it), and left the others well enough alone after that.

But I'd still like to know - what's in there?

Diagnostic features - double row of Allen-key adjustable pole pieces. R = 15.30 neck, 15.90 bridge.

Clearly not DiMarzio's PAF, then. Super Distortions, front and back? What other DiMarzio pickups were available in 1980?

20210925_211126.jpg

Ohjay

Reaction score
Are you sure it's from 1980?
Because the pickup measurements and looks fit with Extra-I which were used in '78 and '79 for the LS-600.
Keep in mind that there are two serial formats for Aria Pro guitars made in Matsumoku, MMYXXX and YMMXXX
I strongly suspect that yours has the former format.

strayedstrater

Reaction score
While on this topic, I've just recently acquired a 1980 LS600 which, according to catalogue, should have left Matsumoku fitted with DiMarzio pickups. I started to take one out, in order to read whatever's stamped on the back, but immediately snapped the very first screw in half. They've never been out before now, and are stuck fast in the wood. So I screwed the broken stump back in (it still had 3 threads on it), and left the others well enough alone after that.

But I'd still like to know - what's in there?

Diagnostic features - double row of Allen-key adjustable pole pieces. R = 15.30 neck, 15.90 bridge.

Clearly not DiMarzio's PAF, then. Super Distortions, front and back? What other DiMarzio pickups were available in 1980?

View attachment 562560
1980 DiMarzios still had 3 little holes on the top of each bobbin. They didn't switch to 2 holes like yours until much much later.

Super Distortions were usually high 13/low 14 Kohm, and were their highest resistance pickups back then.

So not DiMarzios.

(Pics can be deceiving but the bobbins also look lighter than DiMarzio's cream.)

Roxy13

Reaction score
Pancake body and 3p maple neck or non pancake and 1p hog neck?

m5570

Reaction score
How about just posting photos of the whole thing so we can see what we’re looking at?

EG700

Reaction score
Are you sure it's from 1980?
Because the pickup measurements and looks fit with Extra-I which were used in '78 and '79 for the LS-600.
Keep in mind that there are two serial formats for Aria Pro guitars made in Matsumoku, MMYXXX and YMMXXX
I strongly suspect that yours has the former format.
Serial on this thing is 068001.

Consistent with being either a 1980 if YMMXXX, or a 1978 if a MMYXXX? The latter makes more sense if it indicates June 1978, because there's no month of "68" in 1980!

I'm reasonably familiar now with Greco serial numbering, but this is my first flirtation with Aria Pro II of that era. Up until now I'd assumed the numbering system in use was YXXXXX.

What IS "Extra-I"? Who made them? Very little about them comes up in an on-line search.

Last edited:

EG700

Reaction score
Ok, pix ...

... pancake mahogany body with solid maple top, 3-piece maple neck, "nibs" on fret-edge binding.

Thicker neck than the '76-'79 Greco EG700s. Not that I am fussy about necks.

Attachments

Last edited:

Latest Threads