Aria Pro II Identification help

rsswesley

Reaction score
Picked this up a couple days ago for a couple hundred bucks in Okinawa. Sounds good, I was just wondering if someone could help me get close to the year it was made. It came with Gibson pickups so I'm sure they were changed out at some point. it has nice Grover tuners and no serial number on the headstock.

Attachments

Grenville

Reaction score
At a guess, a very early Aria Pro II after the name change from Aria, maybe a 1975/6.

Press board/laminate top, multi-piece under the top ply with solid or 2-piece back, interior neck screws and circuit board mounted controls indicate era and model level, but I'm not really an Aria expert.

Roxy13

Reaction score
@Ohjay as he is our resident expert on Arias.

My guess is 1977 or possibly earlier due to lack of a serial number.

Ohjay

Reaction score
No serial guitars can be pretty tricky to nail down to a specific year and model, even more so when it has had some modifications done to it.

With that said, most no serial Aria Pro guitars are from 1977 but also some from 1976. So I would say that yours is from that period, '76-77.

I also think that the tuners have been replaced as well since Grovers came on higher end models and the construction of your guitar and the lack of fret-edge binding are indications of a lower end model.
Are the tailpiece and bridge gold? It kind of looks like it in the images and if they are then that's another indicator that the tuners have been swapped.

Either way, based on the above I would say two models are possible:
LC-500 or LC-550.

The main difference between those is that the LC-550 was produced in '77 and had gold hardware.
In '76 the LC-500 had gold hardware, so if the hardware that is original is actually chrome then it most likely is a 1977 LC-500.

rsswesley

Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you all so much for the info. It’s a cool guitar and feels good and plays good. These guitars from what I read are all over the place even when they do have serial numbers. Thanks again fir the help.

Ohjay

Reaction score
Awesome. Thank you all so much for the info. It’s a cool guitar and feels good and plays good. These guitars from what I read are all over the place even when they do have serial numbers. Thanks again fir the help.
That is unfortunately a common misconception regarding Aria Pro, that they were all over the place and basically took whatever was in reach and put it together into a guitar.
That is very, very far from the truth and I suspect that the reason this misconception exist is simply because very few people actually bothered studying and investigating the brand. Most people interested in MIJ guitars seem to focus on the "big" ones like Tokai and Greco while Aria Pro remains the ugly duckling of late 70s and early 80s MIJ guitars and misinformation flourishes because people simply don't have an easy access to correct information.

rsswesley

Reaction score
That’s a fact!!! Even here in Japan the Aria sell for way way less than the “big ones”. I think it’s a killer guitar. Seems well made and has sustain for days. I have several of the other MIJ guitars and this feels on par with them. For the price I paid Im extremely happy with the purchase.

Latest Threads