Are you older than dirt. I am..

Bytor1958

Reaction score
There are so many things we grew up with from the 50s and 60s that kids now days haven't got a clue how cool they were to have. It was a lot simpler those days. Laid back.

We could play outside for hours and into the dark without a care in the world.

I miss those "Good ol' Days".

Stage Fright

Banned
Reaction score
I remember lots of those things, but a few were ahead of my time, and I grew up in the country. Just two hours away, my grand mother had cable tv 24/7, and I think 12 channels or so. We did not get milk delivered but we did have Charles Chips. I remember when Rolos and Whatchamacallits came out as well as Reese's Pieces, Hubba Bubba, Bubblicious, and many other candy and gum. I remember when the drive in theatre had to bleep out curse words in the movie "The Poseidon Adventure." I remember thinking rap music was just a fad. Times have changed, that's for sure.

EasyAce

Reaction score
Born in 1955. What was big that year?

* The Dodgers won the World Series for the only time while they played in Brooklyn.

* Rosa Parks refused to sit in the rear of a bus, breaking and challenging Alabama's segregated seating law.

* The Interstate Commerce Commission ordered desegregation of all interstate railroads and buses.

* The Salk polio vaccine was declared safe and effective officially.

* Winston Churchill resigned as British prime minister---and rejected Queen Elizabeth's offer to make him a duke.

* Bulganin succeeded Malenkov as the Soviet Union's premier.

* The Warsaw Pact between the Soviet Union and seven satellite countries was signed.

* Soviet defector Yuri Rastvrov told Eisenhower Administration officials that American and other UN POWs from the Korean War were actually being held in Siberian prison camps.

* Argentina dumped dictator Juan Peron.

* Panama president Jose Remon was assassinated at a race track.

* The AFL and the CIO merged.

* The first McDonald's was born.

* So was the first TV dinner.

* And the first pocket-sized transistor radio.

* Acknowledging the colour-and-pastel madness overtaking interior decoration even in kitchens, the Sunbeam Corporation introduced its restyled, venerable Mixmaster in four new colours other than the standard white: turquoise, pink, yellow, and chrome.

* The USS Nautilus---America's first nuclear-powered submarine---makes its first cruise.

* The $64,000 Question premieres on CBS, launching the era of big-money television quiz shows. (It'll be revealed later that the show tried to bump one of the first-year contestants because the sponsor---Revlon chieftain CHarles Revson---simply didn't like her. She beat the bump attempt---she was a self-made expert on boxing---and became popular enough to become a television fixture for the rest of her life: psychologist Joyce Brothers.) The show beat out the redoubtable I Love Lucy as the year's number one show.

* Gunsmoke premiered on television after four years' success on radio . . . with none of its radio cast (William Conrad, Parley Baer, Howard McNear, Georgia Ellis) invited to try out for the television version.

* Disneyland opened in Anaheim, California---the same year The Mickey Mouse Club premieres on ABC. (Visitors included Vice President Richard Nixon and his family.)

* "Rock Around the Clock" hits number one after being featured in the film The Blackboard Jungle.

* Marty won the Academy Award for Best Picture---the first time a film based on a television play (first presented on the CBS anthology The Philco Television Playhouse in 1953) won the prize.

* Ernest Borgnine won Best Actor for playing Marty's lead role.

* The Honeymooners began its brief life as a stand-alone situation comedy: the "Classic 39" episodes."

* Alan Freed staged his first New York spectacular, at the St. Nicholas Arena. 7,500 people jammed the 6,000-capacity theater. The bill was a rhythm and blues all star lineup: Joe Turner, Fats Domino, The Clovers, The Moonglows, The Harptones, The Drifters, Ella Johnson and Red Prysock. (The Drifters are without original lead singer Clyde McPhatter, who returned to the group after his military service but left to go solo.)

* The Detroit Red Wings won the Stanley Cup.

* The Cleveland Browns won the NFL Championship.

* The Syracuse Nationals (later known as the Philadelphia 76ers) won the NBA Championship.

* Skier Jill Kinmont---considered a top medal candidate for the 1956 Olympics---crashed while competing in the giant slalom in the Snow Cup in Utah, fracturing her neck and becoming a quadriplegic. Kinmont would learn to write, type, and paint via her shoulder muscles and a special hand brace, make a second career as a teacher, and marry in 1976; her story would be told in two The Other Side of the Mountain films (with Marilyn Hassett portraying her).

* Future actress Lee Meriwether was crowned Miss America.

* Children were thrilled to see the debuts of both Tonka toy trucks and Play-Doh.

* Rhythm and blues legend Johnny Ace died playing Russian roulette.

* James Dean was killed in an automobile crash.

* Shemp Howard (The Three Stooges) died of a heart attack.

* Albert Einstein died . . . but not before meeting actress Eartha Kitt for the first time, after Kitt donated $10,000 to a psychiatric treatment facility for underprivileged children.

* Singer Dick Haymes divorced film star Rita Hayworth.

* Film star Marilyn Monroe divorced baseball legend Joe DiMaggio.

* DiMaggio, Gabby Hartnett, Ted Lyons, and Dazzy Vance were inducted into the Hall of Fame.

* Howard Hughes sold RKO Pictures to General Teleradio, a year after General subsidiary WOR began featuring RKO films on its Million Dollar Movie program.

* Circus legend Emmett Kelly (his Weary Willie character was the model for sports cartoonist Willard Mullin's depiction of the Brooklyn Dodgers as the Bum) marries . . . on opening day under the Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus.

* Sammy Davis, Jr. prevailed in a lawsuit over an automobile accident that cost him an eye. Davis had been sued for $75,000.

* Pat Weaver, NBC programming chief, launches the network's legendary Monitor weekend block of continuous, connected programming; the show will include such old-time radio legends as Fibber McGee & Molly, Henry Morgan, Goodman and Jane Ace (the former Easy Aces), and Robert Q. Lewis.

* Fred Rogers moved his popular Pittsburgh children's TV program to the NBC television network as Children's Corner, eventually to develop into Misterogers' Neighbourhood.

* New York radio station WINS---the home of Alan Freed---introduced a policy of no cover records, mostly but not exclusively a slap at the white performers making big hits out of near note-for-note copies of black rhythm and blues records. (The originals in question included, at the time, the Nutmegs' "Story Untold," Chuck Berry's "Maybelline," Fats Domino's "Ain't That a Shame," and the Penguins' "Earth Angel.")

* Elvis Presley's recording contract was sold to RCA Victor.

* Marian Anderson became the first black performer to appear with the Metropolitan Opera in New York.

* Scrabble premiered from Parker Brothers.

Gin&Pentatonic

Reaction score
If you're older than dirt, would that make you as old as, if not older, than a rock? Or does that only apply to sand? I need to brush up on my earth sciences.

Latest Threads