Are you older than dirt. I am..

Vortex

Reaction score
AFX / Aurora slot cars were great. I didn't have the set in the pic but had a set up on a platform about 5'x5' my Dad had built. 2 car track, train w/ track switching to go over a bridge or into a tunnel. Everything could be controlled from one spot. Spent hours w/ that thing. I'll try to track down a pic of it.

vortex-albums-misc-picture78366-ho-019.jpg

GitFiddle

Reaction score
There was an old gravel pit down the road. We found an old Buick hood near some junked cars. We dragged it up to the top of a gravel hill and laid it upside down and rode it like a sled down the gravel. :applause:

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score

I remember those. My buddy had a track set up on a 4 X 8 sheet of 3/4" plywood with all the details like grandstands, tunnels, trees and bushes, billboards, etc. Just like some people do their HO train layouts.

riffhard

Reaction score
Damn. I'm old. I remember all of that.
Except we never got the milk delivered. We (kids) had to pick it up every day from the shop.
Studebakers here probably have been Fiat and Opel and for the wealthier VW.
When I was a kid my Dad had a Morris. Anybody from europe remember that? Later he upgraded to a Mazda. :)

bungle

Reaction score
Got 12 so I guess I'm getting close. Only old as dirt :)

SGeoff

Reaction score
born in '54, so ya, got most of that covered.
can I be as old as young dirt?:hippie:

Otto tune

Reaction score
It was a better time.
Kids today don't believe how it was tolerable without the internet, cell phones, video games, flat screens, wi-fi, and fast food. But it was. Life was simpler.
I didn't fear being murdered, I rode my bike everywhere. I never called home, just went home when I was supposed to. Nobody locked their doors, I didn't have a key to my own house. I'd walk into my friend's house and his mom would say, "Can you stay for dinner?" and his dad would get excited to have enough for a pinochle game, he always won.
Kids could be cruel, there were bullies, but fights were settled with a scuffle. I drag raced, met girls, laughed, and had a wonderful time, over all.

I learned to drive in an old 53' Buick, three speed on the column, clutch. My dad was like a drill sergeant, "Turn signal, clutch, turn, slow down, downshift to second, clutch out, straighten out." "I can't do all that stuff at once!" I learned to, and had a series of sports cars.

vibrasonic

Reaction score
I remember most of the 16, also the mini coke bottles that cost 5 cents and the inappropriately named licorice candy that looked like babies.

Gar

Reaction score
Love a good bit of nostalgia, love to hear other peoples experiences growing up. My dad always laughs when he is watching programmes on 'The 50's, or The 60's' with all the Jetsons type inventions, because he grew up in a rural area in northern england. He didn't have flushing toilets, a man came round to empty the 'night soil' which was spread on the fields as fertaliser. His grand parents didn't have electricity in 1967, he went to bed at their house with oil lamps. They had a pump in the garden for water. He had a sock stuffed with newspaper for a 'teddy bear'. My grandfather worked in the coal mines in wales, he went to work on half a boiled egg for breakfast. My grandmother (in northern england) didn't bath until she was 18 after she married the welshman, neither had their own teeth in adulthood. Not everywhere in the UK was as advanced as London. I think how much I had as a child, 4 channels on TV and no internet. I wonder what my 19 month old daughter will be talking about in 10,20,30 + years time and how things will have changed.

Sloppy Joe

Reaction score
Saturday morning cartoons, and getting up early to watch them with my brother. And, the after school weekday kids shows like the Three Stooges, the Little Rascles, cartoons, Speed Racer, Ultra Man. There was an afternoon kiddie show tv host out of Sacramento called Captain Mitch on one of the local cable channels that we watched almost daily.

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Saturday morning cartoons, and getting up early to watch them with my brother. And, the after school weekday kids shows like the Three Stooges, the Little Rascles, cartoons, Speed Racer, Ultra Man. There was an afternoon kiddie show tv host out of Sacramento called Captain Mitch on one of the local cable channels that we watched almost daily.

The reason I came home from school on time, was to watch the Stooges :cool:

EasyAce

Reaction score
I remember this guy's show in the 1960s, but here's one I missed in his later years:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwJ1pKpzN7g]The Soupy Sales Show, Guest: B.B. King[/ame]

And here's one from 1965:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_RIHh6EWzz0]The Soupy Sales Show, lost 1965 episode[/ame]

Harmony

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was starting to feel old but now reading all that, I feel young :laugh2:

Actually some of the things I do remember because of my grandmother having them and she was a hoarder.

I also wouldn't know some of those listed as I grew up in another country, so I have no idea what they are.

I do love reading about these kind of things though, we take so much for granted these days. Time changes quite fast because even my 21 year old son makes comments about how things have changed since he was a toddler :laugh2:

Digger

Dingo Lover!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I was born in 1946.

I remember ice chests and the "ice man " with his draft horse and flat trailer clopping down the road delivering ice in summer. No ice cream or icypoles in those days but the ice man would always chip of a piece of ice for us kids to suck on hot days!

Outside "dunnies" (toilets) with the full cans being taken away on the shoulders of the burley "Pan man" once a week.

Pens with a steel nib and ink in wells on the desk at school, just one step beyond feather quills! I remember being ink monitor and I remember blotting paper.

I remember the first "Biro", and I remember the first time one leaked in my pocket of my school shirt.

I remember Summers where it was so hot that all the paddocks were cracked and I remember the asphalt of the footpaths retaining impressions of the heels of my shoes it was so soft in the heat.

I can remember yelling insults at the kids going to the Catholic school as we crossed paths, and of course they returned the favour....just the sort of rubbish that went on in those days!

A bit different to now!!!

I remember that I had a crystal set (radio) built into the bedhead and old Bakelite headphone connected so I could listen to serials like "The Air Adventures of Biggles".

I remember my first transistor radio, it was red and I later used it as a deposit on a block of land I purchased as an investment when I was 18.

I remember growing up without TV and we'd sit in front of the fire and read every night with the "wireless" going. At least it taught me to appreciate reading! Then there was TV in 1956 , Bill Haley & the Comets, Elvis....heady years indeed!

I remember the first TV broadcasts of The Beatles and The Rolling Stones in London in 1962/63. We were there on a working holiday at that time.

So many memories over almost 70 years....yep old as dirt!

Muletrain

Reaction score
Remember "PushUps" ..... (Orange sherbert ice cream on a stick)... The Ice Cream Truck would roll thru our neighborhood.... Megaphone on top playing "pop goes the weasel".... Kids would come out no where .... Would be 25-30 kids running after the "Ice Cream Man"... trying to get him to stop!

Muletrain

Reaction score
Oh.... Got another one.. My Mother and I went to the local Grocery Store....summer 58' maybe ... as we were leaving, I wanted a CocaCola from the Machine out front of the Store.... HAND CRANK Machine... She got mad.... Coke's had gone up to 6Cents... Had to put in a Nickle and a Penny....

roeg

Reaction score
Well,the dirt i grew up in was canadian shield,roughly 3.96 billion years,so,no,i am not.:laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

Put it another way:All these great Marvel superhero movies coming out,courtesy of Stan Lee?...i have the original story lines,at 12 cents a copy.:D Lived them,loved them.The originals are vastly more imaginative than these digital makeovers,with incredible colour plates.And more depth to the plot,much more.They were intricate,funny,high tech,and visionaryfor the young mind. Flights of fantasy.

For example,in Fantastic Four's first encounter with a representative of the Black Panther,Reed Richards marvelled at the high tech ability of his representative to instantly communicate with The Black Panther on a small,powerful hand held communications device that could call half-way round the globe>the first cell/satallite phone!..:thumb:

dave b

Reaction score
Remember these? My dad had one in his Rexall drugstore in 65/66. Bring in your radio/tv/amplifier tubes and test them yourself. I thought this was pretty hi-tech stuff at the time.

index_zpsem83hbhm.jpg

LP121

Reaction score

I remember those. My buddy had a track set up on a 4 X 8 sheet of 3/4" plywood with all the details like grandstands, tunnels, trees and bushes, billboards, etc. Just like some people do their HO train layouts.

I had one too. 50' of track and 36 cars if I remember right. Parents got it out of the Sears Wish Book. :laugh2:

Latest Threads