Are you a train bragger?

Lungo

Reaction score
“Train Bragger” sounds like it would be similar to a “one upper. “ them people are irritating.

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score

lancpudn

Reaction score
I’m entitled to free travel on trains as I work on the railways but travelling on this type of unit is the reason I don’t use trains unless absolutely necessary. These things should have been mothballed long ago but are still being used in many areas.

I’m sure the train operating companies in some parts of England use this as their business model.
Thankfully the Sprinter & Pacers days are numbered and the new class 195 & class 331 have been arriving from Zaragoza Spain where they're being manufactured.

They really are dilapidated after thirty plus years of service.
I cant wait to travel on the new ones from my local branch line.
Lots of electrification work going on in the UK to make way for electric trains.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
i used to ride the train to and from downtown chicago everyday, for about 5 years. i had an express outbound that got me home in 21 minutes. a commute that on a snowy Friday afternoon is well over 1.5 hours.

since i live in the center of fly over country, i prefer to fly. it's too long to train anywhere from here. i would like to fly to denver and take the train west from there. that's a bucket list thing.
I never wanted to commute (it's 1:30+ for me). So, when we moved to the country, I dumped my office in the city and worked from home and then opened a local office near me. Then...I got involved with a company in South America and commuted, every other week, 5,500 miles (each way) for three years. My commute was 14 hours, door-to-door. That said, it was an over night flight, I usually flew business, so, as soon as I settled into my seat, they would ply me with alcohol and food. So, I'd drink, eat and sleep for 7-8 hours and wake up ready to rock.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Keep in mind their perspective.

From Stockholm to Portugal is about as far as you can possibly travel between two relatively-populated areas in Western Europe.

View attachment 427676

That's the distance from Boston to San Antonio.

View attachment 427677

When they talk of traveling between countries.. it's like us talking about traveling between states on the same coast.

And then there's the Canadian perspective. I'm pretty sure Europe would fit in Quebec/Ontario, with enough room leftover for all the French that are already there. ;)

View attachment 427688
Couldn't do that without the Oresund Bridge...*

* Relatively new development (circe '95)

Reactions: Who

Tone deaf

Reaction score
“Train Bragger” sounds like it would be similar to a “one upper. “ them people are irritating.
Or tea bagging...maybe they meant "Train bagging" which I am guessing is tea bagging whilst underway on a train. Not sure if there is any "Sweat tea bagging" in Europe (BYOS - bring your own sugar).

Nard

Reaction score
Thankfully the Sprinter & Pacers days are numbered and the new class 195 & class 331 have been arriving from Zaragoza Spain where they're being manufactured.

They really are dilapidated after thirty plus years of service.
I cant wait to travel on the new ones from my local branch line.
Lots of electrification work going on in the UK to make way for electric trains.
Glad to hear new rolling stock is on its way. Transport for Wales have stated new stock will be introduced on our line but not for some time yet. We had a couple of newer units about 10 years ago but even these are becoming outdated and unreliable. I’d love to see a return of engine and coaches on main lines.

Lungo

Reaction score
Or tea bagging...maybe they meant "Train bagging" which I am guessing is tea bagging whilst underway on a train. Not sure if there is any "Sweat tea bagging" in Europe (BYOS - bring your own sugar).
Interesting observation. So, who here now wants to join the “Mile Long” club?

LPCM&BFG

Reaction score
HMMM Single use plastics..That's a nono according to Greta
Image result for GRETA ON A TRAIN
The original photo shows a toxic substance to the left of the VEGANSKA SALAT... makes me wonder what it was for..

And yes, bread in plastic, plastic bowl, disposable paper cup (plastic coated to make it water resistant) and the SALAT container and Smoked (something) Ham... plus the cotton jumper and cotton t-shirt made in Bangladesh.. She's a fucking hypocrite.

Plus, those aluminium flasks with plastic caps.. Aluminium is a horrible material when it comes to energy consumption to produce: https://recyclenation.com/2010/11/aluminum-extraction-recycling-environment/

Roberteaux

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Before Hurricane Ivan took out the rails that ran between Orlando, Florida, and New Orleans, Louisiana, I was once tempted to take a train from Deland, Florida to New Orleans.

So I called the railroad to ask a few questions about the whole business. I was told that the trip was a 12-hour ride... which made it the same amount of time it took for me to ride my motorcycle to the city. The advantage there was simply that I didn't have to endure a lengthy ride through the potentially (and notoriously) inclement weather that tends to crop up between Central Florida and Southern Louisiana in the summer time.

Because that particular visit didn't entail any need for me to visit any of the wards outside of the French Quarter, I wasn't quite put off by the lack of mobility I might have dealt with once in the city. I could easily just take an RTA streetcar to most any place outside the FQ that I'd actually be interested in visiting... if I might happen to change my plans of just staying in the Quarter, that is...

But I dunno: no sleeper cars were available, no dining cars, and I wasn't interested in packing victuals of any sort with me. So I just nixed the whole idea.

Later, a friend of mine came to Deland from New Orleans... and as she described it, the trip was pretty crappy. Many, many stops along the way.

***************​

Then came Ivan, and for several years the line between Deland and New Orleans was kaput. But now the route is back in business and I checked to see what the railroad had to offer.

Turns out the tickets were over 400 bucks for a two-way ride... and that we were still talking about 12 hours on a train with few amenities beyond someplace to take a piss besides sticking your dick out the window. And just as before, there's about 100 whistle-stops along the way. Nothing non-stop about the train ride to New Orleans.

No thanks. Last time I flew to NOLa, I spent something like 160 bucks for a two-way ticket... and we're only talking about a 1.5 hour flight from Orlando. Of course, I'd get snagged for a 100-buck parking fee if I didn't ride a bus to the Orlando and instead drove myself there... but even at that, it's cheaper than taking that train.

I'm pleased that there IS rail service to New Orleans once again... it took over a decade to restore the line and I do wish the railroad company the best when it comes to these things.

But damn: I'm only 61 years old, and so for me a motorcycle ride is still a better and more interesting choice if I mean to have a conveyance at my disposal while in the city.

Or I could always just take my junky-ass Toyota car, which makes the trip mostly a snooze-- though I can bring more crap with me.

***************​

As for Greta: you know, I just haven' t paid any attention to her whatsoever after realizing that her whole thing was just one big, underhanded, shitty kind of script-driven bullshit ploy designed to prey on the better intentions and general tendency of human beings to think emotionally first and logically second. She also wished to appeal to human fear, which has never been a winning tactic while attempting to persuade me, personally, to some point of view.

I do feel sorry for the girl. She does suffer from a developmental disorder. But that doesn't make her "heroic" to me, and one famous symptom of her disability (Asperger's) involves an inability to empathize with others. I'd imagine that she (of all people) has no idea what sort of snags are involved in what her handlers and trainers have taught her to parrot.

Do I think we have environmental problems? Yes, I do. And I think that a lot of it has to do with sheer population. I do believe that we have a lot of things to "fix", with some problems having gotten to a point there there is no fix.

But I dislike underhanded methods of gaining approval, and I'm not sure that the sort of globalism that Greta's people are shooting for is a good idea, or even all that workable.

She's just an impaired kid to me. Not a saint, but also not some demon. She's a person who suffers from a developmental disorder, and I don't see that as being a particular advantage in practical terms even though Greta herself has labelled her disorder as being her "superpower".

It's not called "mental illness" because it's especially good for the sufferer, after all... and I don't see persons suffering from disorders of this type as having some especially keen insight that eludes those who are more normal in their psychological comportment.

--R

Last edited:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Before Hurricane Ivan took out the rails that ran between Orlando, Florida, and New Orleans, Louisiana, I was once tempted to take a train from Deland, Florida to New Orleans.

So I called the railroad to ask a few questions about the whole business. I was told that the trip was a 12-hour ride... which made it the same amount of time it took for me to ride my motorcycle to the city. The advantage there was simply that I didn't have to endure a lengthy ride through the potentially (and notoriously) inclement weather that tends to crop up between Central Florida and Southern Louisiana in the summer time.

Because that particular visit didn't entail any need for me to visit any of the wards outside of the French Quarter, I wasn't quite put off by the lack of mobility I might have dealt with once in the city. I could easily just take an RTA streetcar to most any place outside the FQ that I'd actually be interested in visiting... if I might happen to change my plans of just staying in the Quarter, that is...

But I dunno: no sleeper cars were available, no dining cars, and I wasn't interested in packing victuals of any sort with me. So I just nixed the whole idea.

Later, a friend of mine came to Deland from New Orleans... and as she described it, the trip was pretty crappy.

Then came Ivan, and for several years the line between Deland and New Orleans was kaput. But now the route is back in business and I checked to see what the railroad had to offer.

Turns out the tickets were over 400 bucks for a two-way ride... and that we were still talking about 12 hours on a train with few amenities beyond someplace to take a piss besides sticking your dick out the window. And just as before, there's about 100 whistle-stops along the way. Nothing non-stop about the train ride to New Orleans.

No thanks. Last time I flew to NOLa, I spent something like 160 bucks for a two-way ticket... and we're only talking about a 1.5 hour flight from Orlando. Of course, I'd get snagged for a 100-buck parking fee if I didn't ride a bus to the Orlando and instead drove myself there... but even at that, it's cheaper than taking that train.

I'm pleased that there IS rail service to New Orleans once again... it took over a decade to restore the line and I do wish the railroad company the best when it comes to these things.

But damn: I'm only 61 years old, and so for me a motorcycle ride is still a better and more interesting choice if I mean to have a conveyance at my disposal while in the city.

Or I could always just take my junky-ass Toyota car, which makes the trip mostly a snooze-- though I can bring more crap with me.

As for Greta: you know, I just haven' t paid any attention to her whatsoever after realizing that her whole thing was just one big, underhanded, shitty kind of script-driven bullshit designed to prey on the better intentions and general tendency of human beings to think emotionally first and logically second.

I do feel sorry for the girl. She does suffer from a developmental disorder. But that doesn't make her heroic to me, and one famous symptom of her disability (Asperger's) involves an inability to empathize with others. I'd imagine that she (of all people) has no idea what sort of snags are involved in what her handlers and trainers have taught her to parrot.

Do I think we have environmental problems? Yes, I do. And I think that a lot of it has to do with sheer population. I do believe that we have a lot of things to "fix", with some problems having gotten to a point there there is no fix.

But I dislike underhanded methods of gaining approval, and I'm not sure that the sort of globalism that Greta's people are shooting for is a good idea or even all that workable.

She's just an impaired kid to me. Not a saint, but also not some demon. She's a person who suffers from a developmental disorder, and I don't see that as being a particular advantage in practical terms even though Greta herself has labelled her disorder as being her "superpower".

It's not called "mental illness" because it's especially good for the sufferer, after all...

--R
They say it is a 14-hour ride. However, much of the Amtrak services outside of the Northeast run on rails controlled by the cargo train industry and Amtrak has access at the whim of the cargo guys. Passenger trains on cargo tracks are about as punctual as teens.

JTM45

Premium Member
Reaction score

Later, a friend of mine came to Deland from New Orleans... and as she described it, the trip was pretty crappy. Many, many stops along the way.

***************​

***************​

As for Greta: you know, I just haven' t paid any attention to her whatsoever after realizing that her whole thing was just one big, underhanded, shitty kind of script-driven bullshit ploy designed to prey on the better intentions and general tendency of human beings to think emotionally first and logically second. She also wished to appeal to human fear, which has never been a winning tactic while attempting to persuade me, personally, to some point of view.

I do feel sorry for the girl. She does suffer from a developmental disorder. But that doesn't make her "heroic" to me, and one famous symptom of her disability (Asperger's) involves an inability to empathize with others. I'd imagine that she (of all people) has no idea what sort of snags are involved in what her handlers and trainers have taught her to parrot.

But I dislike underhanded methods of gaining approval, and I'm not sure that the sort of globalism that Greta's people are shooting for is a good idea, or even all that workable.

It's not called "mental illness" because it's especially good for the sufferer, after all... and I don't see persons suffering from disorders of this type as having some especially keen insight that eludes those who are more normal in their psychological comportment.

--R
Good to see you man, I love this

cjpeck

Reaction score

***************​

***************​

--R
Asperger's isn't a mental illness, and no need to feel sorry for us that deal with it.

Other than that, I'm in agreement with your post.
Well, I don't know if you can call a 35 hour trip from Orlando to N.O. 'service'. You have to go way up north to go a bit west these days.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
best thing about traveling by train?

There's a bar on board.
Bar plus not having to drive equals win.

They used to have beer carts right on the platform at Grand Central Station in NYC. You're hustling to get your train, grab a couple Foster's oil cans (surprisingly cheap) and Bob's your uncle. Unfortunately, there was some massive, coordinated graft going on amongst the vendors so they all (and the beer carts) got shit-canned. Now, you have to his the CVS in Grand Central and grab a couple quarts. Still pretty cheap.

The problem of too much drink mixed with commuter trains is waking up in the rail yard.