Are we at peak gas stations in some parts of the world?

lancpudn

Reaction score
In the UK the number of petrol stations has fallen from 14000 in 2000 to 8500 today :shock:

Elseware "Nearly 1 in 5 cars in Bergen, Norway’s second-largest city, are fully electric. The reality that such a place exists has sent oil and fuel-retail companies to Norway to prepare for the disruption ahead".

"Canada’s Couche-Tard, a multinational company with about 15,000 convenience stores, is using Norway as a “laboratory” to study a future without gas stations. Couche-Tard replaced fuel pumps with EV chargers in some of it's circle K gas stations in Scandanavia ":eek2:

https://electrek.co/2020/02/17/fuel-retail-chains-are-visiting-norway-to-ponder-a-future-when-gas-stations-dont-exist/#disqus_thread

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
Couche-Tard has closed a lot of its Circle-K locations that were stand alone i.e. no gas or Subway/Tim Hortons. In my city, there are only two stand alone locations, but they are in high density locations, either student or tourist areas. Neither of those locations have room for any fuel/power/fast food; one doesn't have a parking lot.

Olds442

Reaction score
There's really no reason to have gas stations across from gas stations. I have a spot here in town where there is a Quik Trip on one corner and kiddie corner there is another Quik Trip. What the H
here it's mattress stores.

judson

Reaction score
There's really no reason to have gas stations across from gas stations. I have a spot here in town where there is a Quik Trip on one corner and kiddie corner there is another Quik Trip. What the H
sure there is...its all about the demographics, a main road with a high traffic count , heavy use in both directions, people usually will not make a u -turn to get gas on the way to work or the way home...so the numbers prolly work for them.

And the owner is only making about 5 to 10 cents a gallon on gas..... they are making more on snacks coffee, soft drinks than gas.

mattress stores? you got me on that...its not like you are buying one a day...but competitors will open close to each other figuring they will feed off each other with people shopping price...my only guess there :dunno:

NRBQ

Reaction score
I used to know a stripper named Couche Tard, small world. She used to this thing with a ping pong ball, where she would stu, ya know what, never mind.

rxbandit

Reaction score
I wonder if it's the same one I'm thinking of, in Oconomowoc?

Also, I miss the hell out of Quik Trip. Makes most other gas stations look like refugee camps

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
+1
In the '70s, every corner had 4 stations and they had "gas wars".
We still have a few corners with 2 or 3 stations, but they generally don't compete on price... they just "are there" for people who prefer that particular brand, and those with more than 1 station are generally adjacent to a freeway offramp/onramp/

For the last couple of years, outside of road trips, I've used exclusively 3 stations within a mile of my home.

lancpudn

Reaction score
I've been wondering what will happen to gas stations that will be inside CAZ's here and how others will cope with dwindling numbers as we approach the end of this decade with the ICE ban almost upon us!

Last edited:

pnuggett

Reaction score
Couche Tard
More specifically it's a mentally handicapped French Canadian couch potato.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Couche-Tard has closed a lot of its Circle-K locations that were stand alone i.e. no gas or Subway/Tim Hortons. In my city, there are only two stand alone locations, but they are in high density locations, either student or tourist areas. Neither of those locations have room for any fuel/power/fast food; one doesn't have a parking lot.
Stand-alone gas stations are the worst financial performers. Most gas stations in the USA make about $0.08/gallon of gas. They make a lot more than that selling bottled water. Gas is practically a loss-leader to bring the customers in for the other high margin stuff. When doing the site selection for new locations or locations to be acquired (from existing operations) the key is room for expansion to include at least a full convenience store and possibly a car wash and/or fast food partner. I would expect large chains to shed stand-alone locations that can't be upgraded to include the multiple revenue stream model. This has been true for at least 20 years.

Last edited:

Latest Threads