Are vintage Flying V's allowed here? :)

yeti

Reaction score
Great video, Mike. Can you tell us more about the history of this particular example? When I lived in Berlin I had the pleasure to play an original Vee on several occasions , courtesy of an old friend and I have to say that it is hands down the best guitar I've ever played.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
I literally just got done watching this on my channel.

Great guitar, great sound. You're a very lucky, and talented man Mike!

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Nice! You've played some rare guitars for us but this one is truly special!

mbafmike

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great video, Mike. Can you tell us more about the history of this particular example? When I lived in Berlin I had the pleasure to play an original Vee on several occasions , courtesy of an old friend and I have to say that it is hands down the best guitar I've ever played.
Somebody on Facebook made me aware of the story, that J. Page recorded 'You Shook Me' on a '59 V then had to give it back since he could not afford it at that time. Well that would be something! HAHA However the guitar I demoed did not come with a prominent story and obviously was kept in storage for decades and was rather rarely played, hence the overall fantastic condition.

mbafmike

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Weird. There was just an auction for a '59 V that claimed it was the guitar in that book. But when you see the photo in the book, it's different. (There was also a lot of suspicion about the guitar up for auction, and it went for a large amount of money.)

https://www.gbase.com/gear/gibson-flying-v-korina-1959-
Well the Gibson-Logo of the auctioned guitar obviously is intact, so that cannot be. :) In the book are two small pics (above/right in my video detail) where another Flying V headstock with intact logo is depicted and the backside of the headstock with the serial number. However the serial number of the auctioned guitar there does not match that of the depicted headstock. :) Well, the guitar I demoed is one of the "not accounted for", shipped early 1960 and has no serial number at all.

jerry47

Premium Member
Reaction score
Beautiful, I'm not a high gain person so i love the cleans on these old guitars. Thanks.:cool2:

Droog

Reaction score
Lovely sounding guitar. Great to see it being played.

RAG7890

Reaction score
As always Mike..........:wow::wow::wow::wow: :thumbs: :applause::applause:

Thanks heaps for the demo. :h5: :)

Cheers, Rudi

mrfett

Gibson AF
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks for the awesome video and the post here, love your vids and appreciate the closeup camera work you do.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Incredible guitar. I always wanted one. Used to visit a '60 at a place called Guitars Unlimited back in the early 80s. Could have picked it up for around 5 grand. I imagine they go for a bit more than that now! :rofl:

jaik

Reaction score
mbafmike always makes the best demos.
I played a 58 V once many years ago, and it was the most striking electric guitar I've ever laid a hand on, at the time at very least. I thought it might be hype from their rarity but they really are shockingly great instruments.