Are these minor or major issues with my new guitar?

Am I being too picky?

• Pay fot it fixing myself and think little of it

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ...or is this something the dealer should rectify?

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

Injector

Reaction score
What are the grounds for returning a guitar NOT purchased online? The T&Cs of the vendor state that they will give a refund for any faults within the first 30 days.

The 'faults' I have with my guitar are unlevel frets which are demonstrable with a fret rocker and also by the fact that the bass strings are dead from the 14th fret upwards unless the action is higher than I would like....and also a ding on the top that I did not notice until I got the guitar home. However, if one zooms into the photos for my guitar on the retailer's website the ding is visible (thus proving that it was there before I bought the guitar).

The retailer has stated that both issues are par for the course with Gibson and nothing serious. If I want a pristine guitar then I should look at PRS etc. This is despite me having owned several Gibsons without these faults.
To add insult to injury the retailer is not even prepared to fix these issues. They have stated that they will pay "a portion" of the fret levelling fee but will do nothing about the ding on the top.

So what constitutes a fault if these two issues do not? Their website clearly states that if faults are reported within 30 days then the buyer can have the item repaired or refunded. My retailer is offering neither of these things. They will "contribute" to the fret levelling cost but won't pay the full amount because not every fret is unlevel. They are dismissing the ding entirely as something commonplace with Gibsons.

If I were to sell this brand new guitar now I would have to disclose the ding and also the fact the frets are unlevel, thus getting a lower than market price. I must also add that I paid full RRP for this Les Paul Reissue with zero discount which makes this whole thing even more frustrating.

I am forced with getting a tech to look at the frets and the responsibility falls on me for getting this sorted, plus I am the one who has to gamble on the tech not adding further dings and scratches to my brand new instrument. What would you folk do in this situation?

workerunit

Reaction score
File a complaint with your states Attorney General for Fraud against the seller
and file a small claims or civil lawsuit against the seller.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Unlevel frets would be enough for me but I also often bring a fret rocket with me when checking out a guitar in person to avoid this.

Hard to say about the ding without pictures.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Return the guitar.

Find another retailer to buy from. Any guitar store worth its salt, especially now when you can save going online, should make that thing play just how you want it as part of the purchase.

Period. The End.

Injector

Reaction score
Return the guitar.

Find another retailer to buy from. Any guitar store worth its salt, especially now when you can save going online, should make that thing play just how you want it as part of the purchase.

Period. The End.
They won't take it back.

smk506

Reaction score
They won't take it back.

Did you pay with cash or a credit card?

If it’s with a Credit card, call the card company and tell them the retailer has a return window, you’re unsatisfied with your purchase and within the refund window and the merchant is refusing the refund.

Hecubus

Reaction score
Take it back to the store, in person. Tell them you are here to return the guitar and get a full refund.

I would not expect them to do anything about a ding that you left the store with, but they should at least cover the cost of a fret level since it is supposed to be Plek'd at the factory. Have you contacted Gibson?

If they refuse, tell your credit card company as advised above.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I notice a few shops have this 30 day thing, curious as to how the various shops operate it? I returned a guitar to Coda and was promptly refunded, northing wrong with it, just didn't blow me away.

But that was mail order, I see guitarguitar say they have a 30 day return but don't elaborate beyond that. If its that they will refund if its what they deem a fault, or repair otherwise, i doubt I'd shop there again.

Last edited:

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Set up a small battery powered amp outside the guitar store.

Play every sour note related to the uneven frets for all to hear .

Make up your own lyrics as to why the guitar plays so crappy , “My dealer wears a necktie, so his foreskin doesn’t roll over his face. He sold me this shite guitar and won’t stand behind it..”

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Set up a small battery powered amp outside the guitar store.

Play every sour note related to the uneven frets for all to hear .

Make up your own lyrics as to why the guitar plays so crappy , “My dealer wears a necktie, so his foreskin doesn’t roll over his face. He sold me this shite guitar and won’t stand behind it..”
Did Fezz help you with those lyrics?

Latest Threads