Are there regular traditional (not pro) with a 60s neck?!?!?!?

roccster

Reaction score
Are you going to try it out first?

If it feels good in your hands, that is all that really matters.

Yea thats true of course :) And it looks awsome, its 2,5 hours away with car so mind as well just go there and try it out.

Sure hope it feels great!

JMB1984

Reaction score
Yea thats true of course :) And it looks awsome, its 2,5 hours away with car so mind as well just go there and try it out.

Sure hope it feels great!

Keep us posted on how it turns out :dude:

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
You guys are really ridiculous sometimes. Here is just one example of a limited run Traditional with a 60s neck. Took 1 min to find within this very forum:

http://www.mylespaul.com/forums/gibson-les-pauls/168043-ngd-2011-traditional-les-paul-60s-neck.html

And here is the Traditional 1960 (again not a pro):

Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul Traditional 1960

In the picciune manusha world of LPs - these are really not Traditionals or Trad + models.

The GC exclusive model had exclusive 4 conductor PUPs with push pull pots, blank TRC, Top Hats, painted backs and was limited to 50 pieces per color. It also was $1000 more than a Traditional Plus. GC can get away naming things anything they want. At first the GC exclusive was called the " Traditional Standard" GC's very 1st run of Traditionals were sold there with Classic TRCs on them. I got one of them, most of them were switched out for blank TRCs.

The Sam Ash 1960 version was only an A grade burst or Ebony - both have Baked Maple fretboards. The PUPs are uncovered and Top Hats with Thumb Cutters on them.

I realize this is nit picking, but hey this is an LP board :)

JMB1984

Reaction score
In the picciune manusha world of LPs - these are really not Traditionals or Trad + models.

The GC exclusive model had exclusive 4 conductor PUPs with push pull pots, blank TRC, Top Hats, painted backs and was limited to 50 pieces per color. It also was $1000 more than a Traditional Plus. GC can get away naming things anything they want. At first the GC exclusive was called the " Traditional Standard" GC's very 1st run of Traditionals were sold there with Classic TRCs on them. I got one of them, most of them were switched out for blank TRCs.

The Sam Ash 1960 version was only an A grade burst or Ebony - both have Baked Maple fretboards. The PUPs are uncovered and Top Hats with Thumb Cutters on them.

Um, no they're Traditionals. The GC one in 2011-2012 didn't sell for $1000 more.

The real point is that they exist with 60s necks and that we don't know enough information about the guitars in consideration to say otherwise.

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Um, no they're Traditionals. The GC one in 2011-2012 didn't sell for $1000 more.

The real point is that they exist with 60s necks and that we don't know enough information about the guitars in consideration to say otherwise.

The GC in my area had several and they were going for 3k out the door. All nice flame tops AAA or better. Some unusual colors - Denim Blue, Lavander, Harley Orange, Cobalt Blue, a Red similar to the Slash Vermilion, a bright Green.

A very dark Chocolate Brown one was there forever, nice player but fugly - ended up being a blow out for $1800 at the end of last year. The kick in the ass was most were 2 piece backs when most of the Traditionals at the time were coming in with 1 piece.

JMB1984

Reaction score
The GC in my area had several and they were going for 3k out the door. All nice flame tops AAA or better. Some unusual colors - Denim Blue, Lavander, Harley Orange, Cobalt Blue, a Red similar to the Slash Vermilion, a bright Green.

A very dark Chocolate Brown one was there forever, nice player but fugly - ended up being a blow out for $1800 at the end of last year. The kick in the ass was most were 2 piece backs when most of the Traditionals at the time were coming in with 1 piece.

Sure that wasn't the Les Paul Standard run that was going at the same time? I ask because I owned one of those Standards in blue and tried some of the other colors while buying, but yea that was definitely the store price for the Standards. It was also Gibson's test run of modern weight relief before they announced it in 2012.

Justin_Case

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They were marked as Trads, but then again its GC - I've seen so many things mis-marked over the years, they very well may have should have been listed as Standards.

The thing is all of them were on the heavy side. I really question the weight relief, unless Gibson was really experimenting with how far they could push the Modern Technique.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

The GC run of Traditionals with the 60s neck also had Chicago Blue and Ebony and there was no upcharge. And the Sam Ash 1960 Traditionals came in Trans Red and Ebony gloss, and Satin Gold and Satin Honeyburst plaintops, but all of them had rosewood boards at the beginning of the run. They switched halfway through 2011 to baked maple.

brandon555

Reaction score
No 2 necks, regardless of profile, will feel the same if shaped/finished by hand.

A little bit off the shoulder of the neck and it makes a huge difference.

That's all it is, I bet.

Sorry to derail...

Blackheart!!!?? Are they still around?

I used to have a Lil' Giant 5w. Damn that thing sounded good for a cheap little tube combo. I liked to crank it just where it started to break up and it got that ubiquitous '70s cranked marshall tone. Out of all the low wattage amps I've had that one had the best edge of breakup tone.

roccster

Reaction score
Keep us posted on how it turns out :dude:

Turn of events showed up and the Trad with 60´s neck got pulled right under my nose, but guess it was fate because the next day I got hold of this beauty:

LesPaul.jpg

Poor picture (will get some in daylight), but man what a wonderful companion. It´s a 2011 Standard (mint condition), with the assymetrical neck. I played the 2014 the other weekend and I really thought I could like these type of necks, especially since playing the 60´s necks made me think they felt a bit to thin. And as everyone has said, play it and if it talks to you buy it, and this baby did, or it screamed to me :D

New sets of string, and hooked up to the Atma, omg im just in love. Sure the neck needs to get used to, especially start pressing down the strings softer, but when doing that it just floats... Oh what an instrument, this just goes to show that there really is something special with a real Les Paul. And the Burstbuckers really screams just the way I hoped... Thanks for all the help!

Latest Threads