Are there fake Gibson bags around?

pbekkerh

Reaction score
Hey guys. I'm normally active on the Epiphone thread but could need a bit of Gibson help.

I've seen this bag here and wanted to check if it's genuine, which the seller says it is but I can find only pictures of almost triangular shaped Gibson bags on the net.

Is this genuine or fake? Thank You.

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
Don't know if it's real or fake but i suggest getting a hardcase. I have one of the triangular ones and it's great for keeping soft winds from hitting the SG that it came with.

pbekkerh

Reaction score
I'm buying unseen but expect a Gibson bag to be better than just any old bag. Maybe a bit more foam.

I'd probably get a hardcase as well, but a soft bag is more practical when using a bicycle.

D W C

Reaction score
WP_20171029_18_10_51_Pro.jpg
WP_20171029_18_11_32_Pro.jpg
Here are the two bags you speak of. I have a few of each and they are original gigbags for Gibson and are not knock-offs.
The triangle ones I call the best, a little more foam and a better handle/strap set up.

pbekkerh

Reaction score
Aah, that's it. Nice. How thick is it? Or how high is it, lying flat on the floor?

sk8rat

Reaction score
seen plenty of gigbags with that same logo and shape so no red flag as to it being fake.

I guess I'm not sure it would matter if a gig bag were "authentic" or not. It's fabric and foam.
it doesnt matter until the stitching start falling apart and the zippers break after a week.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have three triangular ones. Wish I could get rid of a couple of them. I tried to trade two for a generic LP case but the dealer wouldn't bite. They have more than they need as lots of LP buyers buy a hardshell.

bum

Reaction score
Aah, that's it. Nice. How thick is it? Or how high is it, lying flat on the floor?
I have one and it's thin, like much more thin than my Fender Tweed gig bag. I wouldn't use one unless I was carrying the guitar all night.
Total thickness with no guitar in it is an inch or so

Malchik

Reaction score
I'm buying unseen but expect a Gibson bag to be better than just any old bag. Maybe a bit more foam.
The gig bags envelopes they were using for the economy faded guitars were no better then a cheap polyester backpack.

pbekkerh

Reaction score
Thank You guys. Even when genuine, I'll just give this one a miss and have a look at the lightweight hardfoam cases, which could be a good compromise between a wearable gigbag and a hardcase

PierM

Reaction score
Run away from those gigbags they are rubbish. They can't rest horizontal because neck would be under stress all the time as well they can't rest vertical because they are stable like a piece of paper in the wind. In case of impact they are totally useless, of course. Also, both are soon or later damaging your laquer because of the zip.

bum

Reaction score
I just dug mine out to take a pic, I am not pinching it here, just holding it up. I forgot how woeful it is lol
gigbag2.jpg

pbekkerh

Reaction score
I just dug mine out to take a pic, I am not pinching it here, just holding it up. I forgot how woeful it is lol View attachment 271819
That's more like ½ inch :-(
I really thought they would be better, when they put that logo on it.

That bag is only for single use, when taking the guitar from the shop and home. :)

pbekkerh

Reaction score
Oh my sweet summer child

I'm really not a brand fanatic. I bought a Epi Les paul, after considering and comparing price and quality of Gibson versus Epiphone but I just thought that Gibson, to maintain their brand, which enables them to charge exorbitant prices for their guitars, wouldn't soil their nest(and brand) by selling cheap stuff like those bags, with their logo on it. It's just a bad business decision.

At least it has lowered my respect for the brand

dspelman

Reaction score
Nope. It's just "any old bag." I had someone toss one in on a recent purchase (and no, the one you're looking at probably isn't a fake), and it's a decidedly pedestrian bag. Don't pay extra for the name on the outside.

pbekkerh

Reaction score
I just want to give this story a happy ending :)

A store in my town is relocating and they have a "moving in" sale in 2 days but they are already moved in, so I visited them and asked if there was any cheap Les Paul cases coming up but they didn't have any on their list.
However one guy remembered seeing some cases with a ? on them. They were new cases which were left behind by the new owners of guitars, either forgotten or just left, because they bought other cases. AND it turned out to be genuine 199 $ Gibson cases. But they were not registered anywhere, so could only be sold by contributing to their coffee and cake box. I got a genuine very lush Gibson case for 30 $.
Some papers in the case showed that the guitar that was in there originally, was made in 2008!

And my Epiphone looks marvellous in its new bed ;-)

Last edited:

pbekkerh

Reaction score
WOW! That's a great find.

Sounds like GC was involved with this. They always seem to be losing/not-including cases.
hehe, no chance. Other country , other shop. ;-)

Reactions: Who