Are there ebony fretboards on japanese vintage guitars?

JohnWick

Reaction score
Hello, so i wanted a guitar with a history, with mop inlays and ebony fretboard. Kind people on the internet recommended to me mint collection grecos but my question is are there egc grecos with ebony fretboards? When i google white egc greco all results show rosewood fretboards. I dont know if it makes sense to just patiently wait for one to show up on reverb or maybe they just dont exist, and i dont even know how to find out. Also are there any other vintage japanese les pauls with ebony fretboards and mop inlays?

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, older top model customs from the mid 70s to around 1984 had ebony fretboard and mop inlays. EG-1000C was a good example that can be found, though the 1980-early 1982 modes with Dry-z cost about the same as a used Gibson custom these days.

Tokais also had an LC-100 model that is pretty rare but they still make a custom model now that has an ebony board and mop.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
They really fancied Maccasar Ebony back then.
Feels like ebony, looks more like rosewood. Can be anoying, especially if you're after a Les Paul custom, because you want that super dark fretboard right?

JohnWick

Reaction score
I wanted something thats way more affordable than a gibson lp custom, but still has some features. I saw that egc grecos go around 600 dollars or less if lucky. The fretboard can be a composite wood or something mitating ebony, ive heard that greco did use some sort of fake ebony. I preffer the white finish lp, prefferably aged to creme.

Roxy13

Reaction score
The Grecos with the Richlite type fretboards were made by Cort in Korea in the late 80s, possibly as late as 1990 or so. Otherwise the EGC 600 level black customs made by Fujigen, Tokai or Terada have rosewood fretboards.

I'm not sure what the inlays on my History black custom are but it does have an ebony fretboard as do many Edwards customs. The History is an SH-LCV. The models higher than that also have a nitro finish.

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
Ebony and MOP is a tough combination to get in a vintage MIJ. Wulfman sold me an LC100 that has them (plus the correct split diamond headstock inlay to boot), which I treasure. They're not common. I think the aforementioned Greco is a bit more common but still expensive these days. If I were in this market I would probably go with a newer History.

JohnWick

Reaction score
Hmm i came across Greco Sigeru Narumo model and it seems to have this combination, but all offers are sunburst, while i preffer tobbaco burst since i saw a couple of them in such finish. Are tobbacos like a limited run or does nobody want to sell them?

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Hmm i came across Greco Sigeru Narumo model and it seems to have this combination, but all offers are sunburst, while i preffer tobbaco burst since i saw a couple of them in such finish. Are tobbacos like a limited run or does nobody want to sell them?
Tobacco bursts were not that common. There was a violin burst that was kind of unique for Greco and probably my favourite Greco finish. I had an 82 EGC that I thought was an 800 but I am sure it had an ebony board. My current Greco EGC 1000 is from 1980 and definitely has an ebony board.

There tend to be more Greco customs with the rosewood boards though. I have played a few Burny customs that were pretty good. They just had thinner necks. I don't know how to differentiate the high and low end Burny customs. With Greco, there will be a super real trus rod cover and waffle back tuners if from 80-82 or so. They do come up for sale but you might need to be watching the YJ auctions for months to get one at a good deal.

JohnWick

Reaction score
I settled on sigeru narumo one. Its not a egc but has block mop inlays and ebony fretboards but tobacco burst seems not to be present on the market beside like 2 offers from the past. Whats a good price for them and place to search for them? Im mostly reverb type of guy.

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
Seems that the Shigeru Narumo models lack the multi-ply front and rear body binding that you'd get on a real Custom, plus they have a belly carve. I assume you are aware of this and OK with it.

JohnWick

Reaction score
Seems that the Shigeru Narumo models lack the multi-ply front and rear body binding that you'd get on a real Custom, plus they have a belly carve. I assume you are aware of this and OK with it.
well i really like the option of belly carve i think it really makes this a better choice and im aware that it lacks rear body binding, its not like its a big loss u dont really get to see it that much while playing or displaying your guitar anyways. I just think that the lack of headstock inlay and binding is really a big loss but still the more appealing finish to me. The customs have white and black - i have a white finish guitar already and i dont like black or clown burst. So any advices on where to search for tobacco burst shigeru narumo greco? Just reverb and maybe ebay or any other good websites?

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
What do u mean by that? Is it any bad?
It means the body will be made of multiple (two, probably) slices of mahogany sandwiched together on the axis parallel with the guitar's top. It's the same way that Gibson was building guitars at the time. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with it, but it's not how the original Gibsons were made.

JohnWick

Reaction score
It means the body will be made of multiple (two, probably) slices of mahogany sandwiched together on the axis parallel with the guitar's top. It's the same way that Gibson was building guitars at the time. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with it, but it's not how the original Gibsons were made.
Thank you for explaining. What do u think would be a reasonable price for Shigeru Narumo in tobacco burst? Should i keep watching reverb and ebay offers or are there any other sites worth to check?

dspelman

Reaction score
Also are there any other vintage japanese les pauls with ebony fretboards and mop inlays?
Tons. Literally. I have an '82 Ibanez Artist AR-300 with an ebony fretboard and real shell inlays. And a Yamaha SG2000 with the same (they're not LPs, but pretty much better in every way). Ibanez LPs of the era are available with both, but the versions that have rosewood and plastic inlays in the US (as do most Standard copies) will have the same in Japan. There are Custom-alikes from Japanese manufacturers that have materials faithfull to the US versions. Keep looking

Whoopysnorp

Reaction score
Thank you for explaining. What do u think would be a reasonable price for Shigeru Narumo in tobacco burst? Should i keep watching reverb and ebay offers or are there any other sites worth to check?
Somebody more knowledgeable than me will have to answer that one. I bought most of my MIJs here, and that was a while ago.

JohnWick

Reaction score
Somebody more knowledgeable than me will have to answer that one. I bought most of my MIJs here, and that was a while ago.
Oh okay so is it safe and right to make a post here that im searching for it? I honestly dont know well how to bite into it.

Latest Threads