Are the reissues getting closer to boutique & vintage?

Six6String6

Reaction score
Honestly… weight has become an important part of it for me.. I stumbled on a few 2007 chambered reissues… and I don’t see or feel a huge difference between those and the multitude of post 2013 R8, R9 and R0’s… except in weight…

Now looking for, and finding a light weight Reissue with my ridiculous parameters, in person (local) let alone online…. Pfffft,,,

the post 2017’s seem to be getting heavier Haven’t seen a one under 8lbs 8 Oz …

but they are nice… I f could afford it I would have kept all of them…
Honestly… weight has become an important part of it for me.. I stumbled on a few 2007 chambered reissues… and I don’t see or feel a huge difference between those and the multitude of post 2013 R8, R9 and R0’s… except in weight…

Now looking for, and finding a light weight Reissue with my ridiculous parameters, in person (local) let alone online…. Pfffft,,,

the post 2017’s seem to be getting heavier Haven’t seen a one under 8lbs 8 Oz …

but they are nice… I f could afford it I would have kept all of them…

I see you have a Tony Karol. He lives down the street from me in Mississauga. Are you from around here by any chance? He sure makes some truly amazing guitars

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
No I live in the US, Detroit area ...a stone's throw from Windsor ....Yea he does make some amazing guitars, I played a Baritone he buikuof tof those years ago (at a show) and fell in love with the deep rich tones. They are superbly crafted ...Mine has a OOO OM style body, he increased the size of the bought making it deeper

lewis_grey

Reaction score
I have an original ‘56 Les Paul Special, a 2020 M2M R4 and a luthier built ‘59 spec Burst. They’re all AWESOME!

I think it comes down to consistency. A master luthier making a small amount of guitars every year will probably never let a dud go out the door. All the 50’s Gibsons I’ve played have been generally fantastic, I think it’s a misconception that these old guitars are inconsistent. As long as it’s set up well with decent life in the frets you won’t find many bad 50’s Gibsons in my experience. Due to the sheer volume I think Gibson Custom Shop is where you’ll find the biggest mix of great and less great guitars. I wouldn’t go as far to say they put out many bad guitars but I’ve played quite a few comparatively uninspiring ones and you get the odd one that’ll hang with any 50’s or boutique guitar.

It’s a cliche but you kind of have to take each guitar on individual merit. Weight should only be considered as far as playing comfort, not a great indicator for quality of sound in my experience. My 56 is a 6.5lb featherweight, the other two are just under 9lbs.

Sct13

Reaction score
Agreed!

Every custom shop guitar is capable of variation and I have seen a few goofs but as many as I have owned or otherwise played, they are superior in every way.

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score
Everyone! Call Kurt at HOG tomorrow morning! Only degenerates and poors play non 2022 Les Pauls!

MagneticTape

Reaction score
I own an awesome 2024 R8

intro-1597251766.jpg

Sct13

Reaction score
If you can do that, you can’t go Back and get us all a real 1958 / 1959 ??

Then this thread would be moot…

74JMP

Reaction score
I own an awesome 2024 R8 that cost next to nothing.

That said, Gibson has zero incentive to ‘get it right.’

Why are they improving on a 60 years old spec?

They keep changing things to satisify their marketing dept. Your 2010 is ‘obsolete’ in 2014. Your 2014 is ‘obsolete’ in 2019.

You’d think that 60 year old spec was brand new.
Been thinking I need to sell my much loved 2002 and get one that has some minor detail more correct, then maybe i can sleep at night and not be shamed. it weighs 8# 12 oz, a pig with Tite bond

Last edited:

wildhawk1

Reaction score
For those concerned with glue type, wood species, and weight.

5ce8a51a-1bab-4480-b0ae-1898a8aed49e.e3809871ff63245483c77b89d8acdb7a.jpeg

filtersweep

Reaction score
Been thinking I need to sell my much loved 2002 and get one that has some minor detail more correct, then maybe i can sleep at night and not be shamed. it weights 8# 12 oz, a pig with Tite bond
I know you are being snarky, but that is the business model. I don't know how you can stand the tone of that Titebond glue. The hide glue is what makes all the difference.

Crazy thing-- I have the receipt from my 2014, and the price is basically doubled already. So no upgrade from me either.

MagneticTape

Reaction score
I didn't listen to some of you and just bought a gorgeous 9.02lb (w/metal coin and thick neck) Wildwood spec Les Paul R9. I'm a sucker for thick flames and darker fingerboards and have never regretted anything WW spec.

I'll update on how it goes but as I've researched I seem to find as many great LP's over 9 as under 9. My all time favorite real 59, Greeny is 8lbs 15oz and it doesn't seem to have held Peter, Gary or Kirk back. Current trends are focused on lightweights but there are plenty of people who say if it gets too light that has it's own set of compromises as well.

Last edited:

74JMP

Reaction score
I know you are being snarky, but that is the business model. I don't know how you can stand the tone of that Titebond glue. The hide glue is what makes all the difference.

Crazy thing-- I have the receipt from my 2014, and the price is basically doubled already. So no upgrade from me either.
more sarcastic, and recognizing the business model and not willing to play it, that in the end all that matters is the guitar a guitar that sounds like you want it to, plays the way you want it to and inspires you and you bond with it. Only know of one guitar I like better, till my friend sold it and bought a house with the proceeds,

bluesoul

Reaction score
I didn't listen to some of you and just bought a gorgeous 9.02lb (w/metal coin and thick neck) Wildwood spec Les Paul R9. I'm a sucker for thick flames and darker fingerboards and have never regretted anything WW spec.

I'll update on how it goes but as I've researched I seem to find as many great LP's over 9 as under 9. My all time favorite real 59, Greeny is 8lbs 15oz and it doesn't seem to have held Peter, Gary or Kirk back. Current trends are focused on lightweights but there are plenty of people who say if it gets too light that has it's own set of compromises as well.
What year?
My most recent purchase is a 2005 R8. 9.1 lbs. Guitar is a stone cold killer! So... no they don't all need to be under 8.5 lbs.
Btw... post a pic!!!

Deus Vult

Banned
Reaction score

Just wait until you experience the upgraded plastics!

bluesoul

Reaction score
Just wait until you experience the upgraded plastics!
I did notice the tonal qualities of plastics as they made corrected upgrades.. better mids and neck PU was less muddy. But truss cover screws...Holy shit! When they got that right it was a game changer.

Latest Threads