Are the Gibson Burstbuckers 1 & 2 Pickups in the new Les Paul 50's Standard potted or unpotted?

1956tvmodel

Reaction score
Im wondering if the Gibson Burstbucker pickups are potted or unpotted. Im assuming the only way to check would be to take the cover off. Ive been searching online and im getting all kinds of answers. Some say the aftermarket ones are not but the one that come in the guitar are or vthe pother way around. Does anyone know? Thanks Mike

1956tvmodel

Reaction score
they are potted. i took the covers off mine.
View attachment 560679
Thats strange. I would have guessed they were unpotted from the open sound and clarity im getting. Its strange that the after market version is unpotted. Not sure the logic there. Anyway thanks for letting me know. They are great guitars. Here is mine.
lp.jpeg

jbash

Reaction score
What a coinkydink. I was just talking with a buddy about this very subject this morning.

They haven't done unpotted aftermarket sale versions in several years. If you got some, consider yourself lucky. IME the unpotted versions sound so much better- more sparkly on top , clearer bass and removes some of the haze/one dimensional sound in the midrange.

Latest Threads