Are the 'Custom Buckers' in new R9's a good pick up?

Lull

Reaction score
I had BurstBuckers in my 2005 R9 and I didn't like them much; they sounded muddy and fizzy, if that word even exists. The Classic 57 in my 2000 R9 were much better, and the CustomBuckers in my 2013 R7 even more so. I tried OX4 pickups and preferred the CustomBuckers. Note that I never tried all those pickups in the same guitar; the difference in intrinsic guitar tones has probably more impact to the overall sound, so take this with a grain of salt...

Kenshi

Reaction score
I had BurstBuckers in my 2005 R9 and I didn't like them much; they sounded muddy and fizzy, if that word even exists. The Classic 57 in my 2000 R9 were much better, and the CustomBuckers in my 2013 R7 even more so. I tried OX4 pickups and preferred the CustomBuckers. Note that I never tried all those pickups in the same guitar; the difference in intrinsic guitar tones has probably more impact to the overall sound, so take this with a grain of salt...
+1 : Ain't that the truth!

goldtop0

Reaction score
I had one Burstbucker LP years ago and more recently LPs and a 335 with Custombuckers........I really like the CBs......there's more PAF character to them...more clarity, richness of tone and charm........can't get enough of them, the best stock pup that Gibson has made since the T-Tops imho.

J50315

Reaction score
The unpotted custombuckers I had in my 60th anniversary Tom Murphy painted R9 were really good. Liked them a lot more than custombuckers from the past. But again better is subjective

sonar1

Reaction score
Had Custombuckers in my CS ‘64 SG RI.
I like Burstbuckers quite a bit.

They were good. I kinda found out I like AlnicoV pickups, like Burstbucker Pro’s, etc. Snappier and present (in your face).
Had those in a Studio LP that beat up my other guitars and bullied them.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of the 4 pairs I have the ones in my 2013 sound the best, I stuck some low dc resistance (7.5 neck, 7.29 bridge) pickups in it to see what they did, what they did is loose its voice, it was a surprise lol, as have read quite a lot of the pickups in the 58/59 originals were on the low side. So the originals are going back in. Their dc resistance is, as it’s the only point of measurement I can test, is 7.94 each. They are potted as well I believe, which goes against perceived wisdom of unpotted is better vintage sound. Now I think of it I might try the unpotted R0 ones in as they are spare at mo.

lawrev

Reaction score
I purchased a pair of unpotted Alnico 3 CBs that came out of a 2019 R9. The bridge one went in my Custom Shop Junior and sounds fantastic. Very airy and PAF - like. The neck I am saving for another guitar. The unpotted were designed to be just like the original PAFs. You can't buy them from Gibson direct, you have to wait for someone to pull them out of a Custom Shop Les Paul Standard.

PageSide84

Reaction score
I really like the CBs on my 2013 R8. Great clarity with a decent amount of bite.

I have the 2019 CME spec Custom S Buckers that are 10 percent underwound in my R9 60th, and like them as well. They are clearer and snappier than my R8's pups. They have a Telecaster quality to them.

They are both fantastic. Which I prefer depends on my mood, but I tend to gravitate toward the 2013s the most. Long story short: yes, they're great.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I agree with @goldtop0 that the CBs are the best stock PAF-style pickup that Gibson has made in decades. I don't own any at the moment, so I don't even technically have a dog in this fight. I just know that the numerous pairs I've owned have sounded excellent, to the point that I never felt compelled to replace any of them with the latest boutique Flavor of the Month. I think the Custombuckers can absolutely hang with any of those.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
It is all subjective and I've had burstbuckers, 2013-16 era custombuckers, and the 18-19 custombuckers including the un potted ones. I've had excellent examples from all of them, but honestly I'd say I really do like the unpotted ones wihich the 60th anniversary R9's had. Very airy and punchy.

Then again, the 57 classics I've never liked, way too shrill yet many claim those are really good.

lawrev

Reaction score
I really like the CBs on my 2013 R8. Great clarity with a decent amount of bite.

I have the 2019 CME spec Custom S Buckers that are 10 percent underwound in my R9 60th, and like them as well. They are clearer and snappier than my R8's pups. They have a Telecaster quality to them.

They are both fantastic. Which I prefer depends on my mood, but I tend to gravitate toward the 2013s the most. Long story short: yes, they're great.
The Custom S Bucker was originally in the Custom Shop CME Junior I purchased 3 months ago, but that was taken out by the original owner. I was looking for one for the Junior to return it to stock (though I removed the wire tapping set up in favor of the Emerson Junior set), but when I purchased the CBs I quit looking. Does your Custom S Bucker have a nickel cover?

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I did not care for the Custom buckers in my Shanks using the rig I have to use 99% of the time so out they came but I am def in the minority. On the other hand my buddys Joe Perry is a beast bone stock.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Never had a custom bucker but I've got BB's that I've kept even after upgrading pickups.

Dilver

Reaction score
I did not care for the Custom buckers in my Shanks using the rig I have to use 99% of the time so out they came but I am def in the minority. On the other hand my buddys Joe Perry is a beast bone stock.
No, I’m with you. Custombuckers in my 2017 R8 were not for me. Much happier with Peter Florance Voodoo PAFs, but now that Peter’s gone the prices on these are through the roof.

Dazza

Reaction score
I've read high praise for the current unpotted CB's on this forum, though I've no direct experience.

I have excellent boutique pickups but also early Sig and CC guitars with CB's ranging from a low wind 7.1K 'S' to hotter 8.3. They're similarly clear, open and articulate. A major improvement from the prior compressed/fizzy 57's and BB's I've had. Then again my mates mid 20-teen R8/R9 CB's were tinny and metallic in direct comparison. There's plenty of 'too bright' posts about CB's. Just from my observations I think maybe the components or metallurgy of CB's changed through the years. And of course you'll read opinions from every direction.

Daz

cragginshred

Reaction score
So most like them!! question, I keep seeing 'unpotted' can expect gnarly feedback with a hard rock amount of gain?

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the variation of color (tone) that my Historics have.... the CBs have been awesome and so have the BBs.... I thought that was the point to having more than one guitar..... I like the familiarity of the Les Paul and the tonal differences that can occur.....but that's just me.

Latest Threads