Are String Swings Safe For Nitro Finish?

jcastle1

Reaction score
HI,

I just saw a thread about a nitro finished Les Paul damaged from a guitar stand covering and was wondering if the String Swing Brand of guitar hangers are a safe way to store/hang these guitars? I've had these hangers for a few years and cannot see any damage on any of them. I do play all of them but when finished they get hung back up.
Opinions?

dro

Reaction score
Have used without any problem. But only while working doing tracks. At the end of the day / or night, mine get cased.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
In general, if you have any doubt as to if a stand is nitro safe, you can cover anywhere the stand touches the guitar with cotton cloth. It's the interaction between the rubber covering and the nitro that will potentially melt the finish.

Gibsonrocknroll

Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't hang my guitars but I read you will not have any problems with the Hercules brand stands.

Hath74

Reaction score
I don’t believe there is a stand or hanger
on the market that claims their product is nitro safe. As far as I can tell the only way to be safe is to cover them. If there is a company that makes that claim and will stand behind it if damage occurs I’d like to know who they are.

tzd

Reaction score
Although they don’t claim themselves to be safe for Gibson’s nitro, String Swing and Hercules generally has been nitro safe. Gibson even uses String Swing hanger on their branded guitar stand https://www.gibson.com/Gear/Stands/ASTD

Dogbreath

Reaction score
They are not nitro safe. They started eating into my Custom Shop Fender and I removed them before the guitar was ruined. I replaced the string swings with Hercules and kept my guitars on that brand for several years. I now have no wall space for guitars.

joesatch

Reaction score
i would never hang a Gibson by the neck we all know how weak their necks are

Seven

Reaction score
Been hanging all of my guitars for decades, not one single problem.

Cozmik Cowboy

Reaction score
i would never hang a Gibson by the neck we all know how weak their necks are
The weakness in Gibson necks - particularly at the nut - is a problem when force is applied perpendicular to the neck; hanging will not cause damage.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
All of mine would be on hangers if I had the room, just not on String Swings.

LPaddicted

Reaction score
HI,

I just saw a thread about a nitro finished Les Paul damaged from a guitar stand covering and was wondering if the String Swing Brand of guitar hangers are a safe way to store/hang these guitars? I've had these hangers for a few years and cannot see any damage on any of them. I do play all of them but when finished they get hung back up.
Opinions?
All my Gibsons are hanged on Hercules wallstand since +10 years, they don't have any marks.

Roxy13

Reaction score
There are definitely nitro safe stands and hangers. I have 2 Fender hanging stands that are and I use them all the time in my work room for guitars I'm working on. At least half my guitars have nitro finishes and there has never been a problem.

Wrench66

Reaction score
I use both Hercules floor stands and string swing hangers. Have used both for years with no issues. I don’t leave any guitars on the floor stand for any length of time though.

peobryant

Reaction score
My Standard has been hanging on a Gibson branded Zither Stand, which uses a String Swing hanger, for almost 5 months straight and there are no marks at all on my guitar.

dancsgrv

Reaction score
paul neck Medium Web view.jpg
So, my LP has been on a String Swing for about 8 months. Just checked after reading this post and damn it, here's what i found exactly where it hangs on the foam. Only on this side, but I won't be hanging it any more. Now have to check the rest of my guitars, but this is the only one with a nitro finish.

Jmpman

Reaction score
I have been using old socks or t shirts for years to cover my stands, don't want to chance it no matter what brand it is.

RRfireblade

Reaction score
I've got a number of LPs hanging on them for years now with zero issues. But from String Swing themselves....

Q: Are your products safe to use for guitars with a nitrocellulose lacquer finish?

A: Our material will not eat into the nitro of your guitar like most foams and rubbers do. Fender, Gibson, and Martin, all use our products in their showrooms, and for trade shows on their standard and high nitro finished guitars. However, there are some things that are out of our control that prevent us from putting an unconditional guarantee that no marking will ever occur.

1. If an issue does arise there is no definite way for us to tell if the marks were caused by our products or if they were from a previously used product from another manufacturer.
2. If you have used a guitar polish, be sure it is wiped off before you use our products. There is conflicting information on the internet as to whether polish is ever necessary or not. Also, along these same lines, do not use any chemical cleaners on our padding material. Water is fine if needed.
3. Guitars being stored in any sunlight can be a big problem, regardless of what material is being used in resting the guitar.

4. Nitro finish remains partially a liquid for its lifetime, so extended periods of time any significant pressure on the finish can result in pressure marks almost like a smear. This is worsened if the guitar was not given proper cure time when the finished was applied.

All of this being said we still have the safest material on the market for a nitro finished guitar and thousands of people trust hanging them every day. Also, if you have a nitro white Gibson, or Epiphone we have white yokes that we recommend for these extremely color sensitive finishes. If you decide to choose our products to display your guitars, for your peace of mind, we suggest that you check your guitars occasionally to be assured of their safety.

Dogbreath

Reaction score
I've got a number of LPs hanging on them for years now with zero issues. But from String Swing themselves....

Q: Are your products safe to use for guitars with a nitrocellulose lacquer finish?

A: Our material will not eat into the nitro of your guitar like most foams and rubbers do. Fender, Gibson, and Martin, all use our products in their showrooms, and for trade shows on their standard and high nitro finished guitars. However, there are some things that are out of our control that prevent us from putting an unconditional guarantee that no marking will ever occur.

1. If an issue does arise there is no definite way for us to tell if the marks were caused by our products or if they were from a previously used product from another manufacturer.
2. If you have used a guitar polish, be sure it is wiped off before you use our products. There is conflicting information on the internet as to whether polish is ever necessary or not. Also, along these same lines, do not use any chemical cleaners on our padding material. Water is fine if needed.
3. Guitars being stored in any sunlight can be a big problem, regardless of what material is being used in resting the guitar.

4. Nitro finish remains partially a liquid for its lifetime, so extended periods of time any significant pressure on the finish can result in pressure marks almost like a smear. This is worsened if the guitar was not given proper cure time when the finished was applied.

All of this being said we still have the safest material on the market for a nitro finished guitar and thousands of people trust hanging them every day. Also, if you have a nitro white Gibson, or Epiphone we have white yokes that we recommend for these extremely color sensitive finishes. If you decide to choose our products to display your guitars, for your peace of mind, we suggest that you check your guitars occasionally to be assured of their safety.
That information fully restores my confidence in String Swing. Actually, there is simply no way that I would hang one of my guitars from one of them. Until I have sufficient wall space again mine are snugged up in their nitro safe cases.