Are R8's as Good as R9's ???

Do you think R8's are as good as R9's ??

• Total voters

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Bobbo, that's honestly my favourite R8 out of all the ones I've seen online.
Nothing against the other R8s, but that one floates my boat.
Even though I have a Washed Cherry R9, a Washed Cherry R8 is definitely in my future.

dennistruckdriver

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I wish I had this one back:

HPIM0122.JPG

:(

badhabit

Reaction score
Why Choose??
06 R8 Faded Tobacco
888ce078.jpg

07 Chambered R8 Darkburst
HPIM1324.jpg

07 Chambered R8 Iced Tea
HPIM1264.jpg

07 R9 Washed Cherry
HPIM1206.jpg

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Those aren't my axes !! Just pics I used to show good examples of R8's & R9's !!! I only own 1 Historic and her name is Sybil !!!!!! 05 R8 ..... # 8 -5797 .... Maybe she should be introduced to Humph ... :cool:

2007_11040012.jpg

I love this pic. There's something about a plain top that looks like serious rock n' roll guitar.. Yes Sybil and Humph. God! what a couple they's make. I hope she doesn't nag.

So what about adding the R0 to your voting list.. There are quite a few abstaining from this vote..Me for a start.:laugh2:

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Thanks !!!!!! Sybil is only 8 lbs 9 oz !!! Lighter than any other R8 I've picked up !!!

2008_01270011.jpg

Heres a shot of the new Dave J inlays for Phil !! I guess i'm an AntiLuddite !!!! :laugh2::dude:

2008_05220004.jpg

:laugh2: :applause:

BOBBO

Banned
Reaction score
I love this pic. There's something about a plain top that looks like serious rock n' roll guitar.. Yes Sybil and Humph. God! what a couple they's make. I hope she doesn't nag.

So what about adding the R0 to your voting list.. There are quite a few abstaining from this vote..Me for a start.:laugh2:

Sorry ... I can't edit the Poll after it's started !!! How bout a completely new thread where people can discuss the differences between r8's r9's r0's etc ??? Could even add a new updated Poll to it !!! :hmm: Sybil isn't a nag !! But she does have multiple personalities !!!

Phil47uk

Reaction score

Sorry ... I can't edit the Poll after it's started !!! How bout a completely new thread where people can discuss the differences between r8's r9's r0's etc ??? Could even add a new updated Poll to it !!! :hmm: Sybil isn't a nag !! But she does have multiple personalities !!!

That sounds cool Bobo..

Sybil isn't a nag but has multiple personalities eh.. Show me a woman that doesn't.:laugh2: Just don't let my wife see what I have just typed though...:rolleyes:

BOBBO

Banned
Reaction score
That sounds cool Bobo..

Sybil isn't a nag but has multiple personalities eh.. Show me a woman that doesn't.:laugh2:Just don't let my wife see what I have just typed though...:rolleyes:

Actually Sybil refers to the movie of the same name starring Sally Field as a girl named Sybil who is living life with 16 seperate personalities inside her !!! Heck of a good movie and since my plaintop seems to have different personalities on different days .... You get Sybil !!! Not as cool as the Humph story but ! what can ya do ?

sybil.jpg

syb.jpg

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Actually Sybil refers to the movie of the same name starring Sally Field as a girl named Sybil who is living life with 16 seperate personalities inside her !!! Heck of a good movie and since my plaintop seems to have different personalities on different days .... You get Sybil !!! Not as cool as the Humph story but ! what can ya do ?

sybil.jpg

syb.jpg

When you said Sybil I only had one person in mind.. Basil's wife..:laugh2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8dw21BGM44Q&feature=related

BOBBO

Banned
Reaction score

Phil47uk

Reaction score
I've seen that show on the cable channel here that offers programs from the BBC !!! Sorry , But I don't get British humor !! other than Monty Python & Benny Hill of course !!! :laugh2::laugh2::laugh2:

YouTube - Monty Python And The Holy Grail- The Black Knight

YouTube - She's a witch!

Yeah, British humour is a thing all unto itself and I know many Americans don't get it from previous visits to the States. It's very dry and ironic humour, almost verging on sarcasm.
The amazing thing though, is that Americans love Benny Hill..:hmm:
Benny Hill went out of vogue in the UK way back in the late 70's. The slapstick thing never ever took off again after Python and it killed it for comedians like Benny Hill over here. The Brits far prefered the zany often sarcastic humour of Python. English humour is very subtle with hidden inuendos, double entendre's and sarcasm. A sort of studied insult rather than blatently swearing at someone.
Observing the members of the LPF over the years I have noticed that a typical response of an American say to an insult, would be to perhaps reply with an insult, showing that are angry.
The British on the other hand with the old stiff upper lip thing are far less likely to show that you have upset them and will respond with something that will make other people laugh at the person who upset them.
A typical Brit response to someone who may have upset them would be to not show anger in response, but to reply with something like. " What's on your mind if you'll pardon the overstatement. " Or " You must have a sixth sense Sir, because their is certainly no sign of the other five"
Probably the nearest thing in American humour to British humour is Jewish NY humour like Jackie Mason. ( Borscht belt humour ).

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Interesting digression, but pertinent to the thread weirdly enough.

Out of the four of us that voted for R8s not being as good as R9s, were the other three serious? I voted for them not being as good out of perverse British humour. Was that just me?

(A woman goes into the bar and says to the barman, "Could I have a double entendre please?" So he gave her one. - Does that one work in US humour?)

Phil47uk

Reaction score
Interesting digression, but pertinent to the thread weirdly enough.

Out of the four of us that voted for R8s not being as good as R9s, were the other three serious? I voted for them not being as good out of perverse British humour. Was that just me?

(A woman goes into the bar and says to the barman, "Could I have a double entendre please?" So he gave her one. - Does that one work in US humour?)

Well at least you got a vote in there Liam. I have abstained on account the best of the bunch.. R0's haven't been included.. Yep! I'm sulking..:laugh2:

DEMENTED

Reaction score
I think so, unless you think a guitar is not as good because it doesn't have a figured top. I have owned both, an '05 R9 and a '01 R8. I have the R9 now and I can't really say there is much difference between them. The R9 is 8lbs 14oz,
The R8 was 8lbs 12 oz, the necks are nearly identical to me, my R8 had a more heavily figured top even. They both played and sound similar. Go figure!

Latest Threads