Are import fees due upon delivery when ordering from overseas

ledzepp2122

Reaction score
Just bought a guitar from China through Aliexpress.com and was wondering if import fees are due upon delivery?

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Could go one of several ways I would say depending on what you ordered.

chasenblues

Reaction score
Love the "Spec's"

Brand Name:Custom
Type:Electric Guitar
Bow Material:Brazil Wood
Body Material:phoenix Wood
Back / Side Material:Maple
is customized:Yes
Color:Black
Tone Position:22
String Winder:Closed Knob
Pickup:passive Closed Type
Fingerboard Material:Rosewood

chasenblues

Reaction score
It's too bad this thread will get nuked. I'd actually like to see the outcome of things, but everyone will take a crap on the OP, and it will get locked or deleted.

Ledzepp2122, I believe your second post might violate posting rules.

There are loads of "unboxing" vid's on YouTube you can watch, That would give you all the same info you want.

Mr Teeny

Reaction score
There's a duty calculator here that'll give a rough idea Import duty & taxes made easy | DutyCalculator but at the low cost you'd probably avoid any taxes.

I guess you could have picked up a 3 pup Burny in the $300-$400 range but it wouldn't have a bigbsy so $268 has got to be a bargain if it makes it thru customs :)

Dino Velvet

Reaction score
There won't be any duty on it, unless its the one in 10,000 that they actually look at at JFK. If that's the case, yes when the USPS guy brings it you will owe 10% of the price you paid upon delivery. Tell us how you like it. I'm sure it blows the Japan copy guitars away !!!:laugh2:

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
Wow ... this could/should be interesting ...

Was this a purchase to see how they compare to the real thing? I guess I could kinda see the appeal of finding out first hand for a fairly low outlay.

dangerdog

Reaction score
There won't be any duty on it, unless its the one in 10,000 that they actually look at at JFK. If that's the case, yes when the USPS guy brings it you will owe
if it is one they open they will not be delivering it. It will be confiscated.

CHUNKYNECK

Reaction score
I'm keen to hear a report on the tonal qualities of a Brazil Wood bow and Pheonix Wood body combination.

slapshot

Reaction score
Wow ... this could/should be interesting ...

Was this a purchase to see how they compare to the real thing? I guess I could kinda see the appeal of finding out first hand for a fairly low outlay.
that's like saying "oh i'll eat this lump of shit see how it compares to a mars bar"
I mean they kinda look the same right?

Stone76

Reaction score
Well, as long as it does not say "Gibson" on the headstock, there is no way it can be confiscated.

If it does, it should be, always.

Latest Threads