Are Grovers Grovers???

JettyLife23

Reaction score
You can adjust the tension on the Grovers by adjusting the screw that keeps the knobs on. Just don't overtighten it or you will cause the gears to be too tight against each other and they will prematurely wear.
this maybe an obvious question...
Can you remove the just the knobs? perhaps if you wanted to replace the kidneys with shields, but leave the tuner itself?

nbeersiii

Banned
Reaction score
All the Grover's on my Epi's are great. I think they are the best tuners being used on affordable guitars. If you know how to string your guitar properly and don't have nut and bridge issues then you should have no problem.

brianugly

Reaction score
My grovers haven't failed me, but the cheap nuts that come on some guitars have given me some grief!

GilmourD

Reaction score
this maybe an obvious question...
Can you remove the just the knobs? perhaps if you wanted to replace the kidneys with shields, but leave the tuner itself?
I think somebody makes knobs like that compatible with the Grover shaft, but I'm not sure.

Mattdive

Reaction score
I agree that the nut is often the problem (not sure if 99% is accurate or just an exaggeration to make a point).

However, it is likely that - like most manufacturers - Grover produces a line for OEM use and a line for after-market (this is speculation, but experience is consistent with this). Grover also produces two gear ratios for their most popular rotomatic line: 14:1 and 18:1. Since the 14:1 ratio generally costs less, it's a safe bet that most imported guitars that use Grovers from the factory go with the lesser ratio.

My MIK Epi LP came with cheap Kluson look-alike clones that would not stay in tune. I switched them with 18:1 Grovers and it stays in tune amazingly well.

adamsvok

Reaction score
Are all grover tuners the same quality? often see grover tuners in specs but do they do bad ones? I don't think mine are that good. I think they need replacing they are the stock on my 2002 MIK LP

Any help much appreciated
My 2010 Epi LP Tribute came with "Grover" locking tuners. At the first restringing 3 of them broke inside.... So I changed them for those tulip style real Grovers. They really are holding those strings in place!!!

imitebelvis

Reaction score
i've wondered if the grovers that come on epis from korea and china are liscensed by grover but made over seas.

when i replaced the stock grovers on my 56GT with vintage grover 135Ns, i noticed that the height of the tuning pegs was shorter on the stock grovers :hmm:

NU9

Reaction score
I want to change my kidney shaped Grover buttons on my Tribute 1960 with keystone buttons - I found a store that only has the nickel buttons in stock. I checked both gibson and epiphone websites for specs on my Tribute, but while they say all the hardware is nickel, they say nothing about the locking Grovers. At StewMac, the locking Grovers are chrome.

What is actually on the Epis Grovers? Nickel or chrome? Is there any difference in color if I put, let's say a nickel button on a chrome tuner?

NU9

Reaction score
Update - the tribute plus page says they are nickel plated. I guess the same is true for the standard Tribute.

nbeersiii

Banned
Reaction score
There's nothing wrong with the Grovers on my Epi. They are the equal or better of the tuners on my Ibanez, Gibsons, etc.

Yeap no problems here either. I said it once and ill say it again. Im really glad epi uses the grovers they do. Excelent tunners. If I see a guitar with these stock i usually consider it to be of a decent quality guitar.

Lysol

Reaction score
Grovers are made by Ping Works in China and/or Taiwan. Gotoh are made in Japan. Schaller are made in Germany. Take what you will from it.

Lowdown

Reaction score
Just be aware of there being different sized peg/button shafts on USA and Chinese tuners.
I've bought the usual Grover packaged tuners and 2 x sets of loose Grovers and interchanging buttons could not be done as they were differently sized.
The packaged Grover's and gold set of loose tuners were fine. But the loose set of nickels were a different size?
So my advice is: pony up and buy the packaged Grover's.

sliberty

Reaction score
I'd say that 99% nut, 1% tuner is pretty accurate. Even the cheapest tuners most manufacturers provide today don't actually slip. They might not be smooth, they might have crappy gear ratios, they might by fugly :) But a slipping tuner is a really unlikely occurrence, so your tuning should stay in tact.

But badly cut nuts are SO common today that it sickens me. And, techs often don't do a great job of cutting a replacement nut either. but once you have a properly cut nut, almost every guitar will stay in tune - until you touch the tremolo that is :laugh2:

Coldacre

Reaction score
I'd say that 99% nut, 1% tuner is pretty accurate. Even the cheapest tuners most manufacturers provide today don't actually slip. They might not be smooth, they might have crappy gear ratios, they might by fugly :) But a slipping tuner is a really unlikely occurrence, so your tuning should stay in tact.

But badly cut nuts are SO common today that it sickens me. And, techs often don't do a great job of cutting a replacement nut either.
solid advice. tuners are the last thing to "slip".

the other culprit is the bridge saddles. a bad nut & a saddle with burrs will frustrate many an inexperienced guitarist. *ping*

Latest Threads