Are Gibson PAF pickups made with butyrate bobbins?

SpeedyGonzo

Reaction score
Hi!
Do you know if the current Gibson PAF humbuckers (57, Burstbuckers) are manufactured with butyrate bobbins or do they build them with standard poly bobbins? Can’t find any information on that subject so maybe you could help me clarify this. Thanks.

jbash

Reaction score
Unsure of custombuckers, but the rest- no, not butyrate. Modern Gibson pickups are wax potted, and my understanding butyrate doesn't mix with heat (melted wax).

Reaction score
I've never seen butyrate on post 70's Gibsons. I know the newer 2019's were supposed to have more vintage accurate appointments, but I can't speak for the pickups on those.

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
The sales pitch reckons the 60th R9 CBs have em, and mine wreaks of baby vomit out of the case, so...? That said, the PAF repros I put in my other "LP", do and it don't.

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
They might be using them now. I know that one of the injection molded parts manufacturers that Gibson uses, who has made their humbucker bobbins in the past, does offer butyrate.

As far as that making the pickups sound more accurate, when the pickups use magnetic stainless steel parts, the wrong wire, the wrong coil patterns and ways of shaping the coils, and the wrong magnets, what plastic the bobbins are made of really makes no difference.

It's like a maple spacer, the color of the coil hookup leads or type of coil tape

Is an orange 65% like an apple or 65.5% like an apple?

Last edited:

copperheadroad

Reaction score
I just repaired a burstbucker bridge pickup that I had to rewind & i compared the Gibson Bobbin to our butyrate bobbin which dimensions were quite different .

AJK1

Reaction score
Hi!
Do you know if the current Gibson PAF humbuckers (57, Burstbuckers) are manufactured with butyrate bobbins or do they build them with standard poly bobbins? Can’t find any information on that subject so maybe you could help me clarify this. Thanks.
Why do you ask ?

somebodyelseuk

Reaction score
Definitely not.
There was a thread a while back where an exGibson product manager said that once pickups went in to production models, ie Gibson USA models, they were manufactured using production materials, ie dyed poly coated wire, regular magnets, steels etc, etc.
As far as butyrate bobbins, the PAF experts will know better, but I don't think they've used em since the 60s. They say they're on the 2019 Custombuckers, but... if they are, I doubt they'll use em for long.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
All i know is they don't sound as great as the ones from 1974 and prior
Plastic has no sonic qualities unless it's made into a drum and has zero electrical properties aside from static electricity generation. And butyrate stinks. I put a pair of butyrate covers on some P-90s for shits and giggles and they make no difference there. But they smell, and polystyrene doesn't :D

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Plastics, along with all insulators, have both electrical and mechanical properties that must affect pickup tone. Magnetic permeability and electrical permittivity (or dielectric constant) will have an effect on inductance and capacitance respectively. The latter is probably the only one that matters, and it might be vanishingly small compared to the thickness and permittivity of the coil wire insulation, but who knows, when we are cork sniffing?

Mechanical properties will have an effect on microphonics and resonance. Can you hear that difference? Who knows, but if you were going to make a bobbin intending for it to go in a pickup that sounds like a PAF, you wouldn't have to think all that hard about what to make the bobbin out of. You might also want to think very hard about how to make it very close to the same shape as an original set.

Liam

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree. Liam is right. All of that matters to the sound, as well as the way the bobbins change shape, both under pressure of the initial wind and assembly and also over time, distorting the coils and their relationships to the steels and magnets.

Without covers, the different plastics have different appearance, as well, especially as they age.

....but when so much else of the overall materials and design are wrong, those little factors are nearly insignificant in the overall sound.

bassmannlespaulman

Reaction score
Plastic has no sonic qualities unless it's made into a drum and has zero electrical properties aside from static electricity generation. And butyrate stinks. I put a pair of butyrate covers on some P-90s for shits and giggles and they make no difference there. But they smell, and polystyrene doesn't :D

I know lmao im just saying the pickups aren't as good.

Latest Threads