are gibson les paul customs actually factory customizable?

Zack

Reaction score
say i called gibson to order a custom shop les paul could i actually give them reasonable specs and they will make it? example: flame top, trapeze tailpiece and only a neck pick up?

the reason i am asking is because they call them CUSTOMS but the only customs are just black beautys and white ones ect

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I probably could.

You?

Not. So. Much.

themightyjaymoe

Reaction score
I'm sure you could have any good builder make you what you want for significantly less money.

themightyjaymoe

Reaction score
Not if what he wants is a Gibson Custom, made by Gibson. :hmm:

True. But unless he wants rosewood, maple, baked maple, or richlite on his guitar chances are he isnt going to be completely satisfied.

To the OP you'll never know unless you give the folks in Tennessee a call.

TheImmaterial

Reaction score
Yeah I believe they do. If you go to Guitar Centre ask nicely (and pay a lot of money) they'll call Gibson and get them to build you one. Probably looking at about $9k for a custom shop one off (some guy on here got one built awhile back I do believe).

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
say i called gibson to order a custom shop les paul could i actually give them reasonable specs and they will make it? example: flame top, trapeze tailpiece and only a neck pick up?

the reason i am asking is because they call them CUSTOMS but the only customs are just black beautys and white ones ect

Don't be silly, this is Gibson we're talking about. Satisfying a demanding customer is far down the list, somewhere between seeing what other retarded finish they can concoct, and breaking par on their next round of golf.

onegoodtrick

Reaction score
Don't be silly, this is Gibson we're talking about. Satisfying a demanding customer is far down the list, somewhere between seeing what other retarded finish they can concoct, and breaking par on their next round of golf.

Tru dat:D.

Appears to me that Gibson proper has gone the way of so many country's -
The peasant workers are cool,it's the "gubment" that blows.

axepilot

Reaction score
When I hit the big lottery, I'm going to call Gibson to have a limited run of Axepilot Signature Series Les Pauls made. I'll fly to Nashville, plunk down a briefcase stuffed with money, and get serious with them. :D

JOC

Reaction score
You need to order through a custom shop authorized dealer like Fuller's, Wildwood or Dave's. You can only get std custom shop models from GC, MF, etc. Even going with a custom order, you cannot control everything. There is most likely a list of available options. A special top should be no problem, but I doubt if they would do a trapeze and a single pickup. Too outside the realm of what a Les Paul currently is. I have a few custom shop one-offs that I bought used. All are pretty normal except for the tops and paint jobs.

Last I heard it takes about 18 months to get a one-off and that was before the wood problems.

AXE

Six String Soldier
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would recommend one of these. The split coil makes it pretty versatile.

007-9.jpg

Latest Threads