Are Gibson guitars declining in quality? Is Epiphone rising in quality as well?

River

Reaction score
I am really scared of this, I am passionate about my love for Gibson guitars and seeing them use Richlite on a guitar is pure anathema to me. Henry Juszkiewicz is ruining Gibson.
Yeah, and the Martin family has run Martin right into the ground. :rolleyes:

Didn't I just read a post of yours defending fakes?

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
QC, QC, QC. In that dept., it seems to be the case. Then again, maybe its the guys that work at my local big box guitar shops. I find it funny though that the Epis on the wall play better off the wall then the MAJORITY(I use caps to show that its not all lost) of the Gibsons in said shop.

I own both and both are very nice guitars. There is something a little special about the Gibson that the Epis dont have. I fall more and more in love with it every day. I find I see my Epis as exceptional compared to other companies at the price point, but Im afraid to take my Gibson to shows because Ive become overly attached to it. I love my Epis too, but theyre more tools to me, the Gibson is a pure enjoyment guitar(Id love to take it out more often, but Im afraid it would get f'd up, broken of stolen. Bars suck)

I've seen some of this Epis-set-up-better-than-Gibbys thing. Thinking about it, I reckon that the Epis, being lower on the wall, get played more often, and issues get exposed more regularly.

Didn't I just read a post of yours defending fakes?

You sure did. Methinks ole Pinkandblue here has two pieholes to match his two colors. Perhaps the sock forgot which foot he was on?

twitch

Reaction score
I've seen some of this Epis-set-up-better-than-Gibbys thing. Thinking about it, I reckon that the Epis, being lower on the wall, get played more often, and issues get exposed more regularly.

Good point. Im out.

Seceded

Reaction score
Those are probably rumours started by people owning Epiphone guitars and are in fact jealous because they dont own the real deal.

I own 3 Gibson Les Paul guitars, ive been playing guitar for like 3 years. There have been people telling my I dont deserve these guitars bla bla. They are always the people that own cheap guitars, go figure!

Gibson has been releasing cheaper models lately but they still make the regular guitars. Even the cheaper models like the faded series are excellent guitars. So there :)

I HATE people that say you don't deserve something, If you pay for it and play it, who are they to say you don't deserve it they're just jealous.

johnbonham

Reaction score
:thumb:

Hey, still fairly new here, at least at posting, but this is ridiculous. And people keep on feeding them. I'll see a garbage thread, with 0 replies and just hope no one starts posting on it. But they do.:run:

like you just did !!

would like to add my 3,500.00 dollars worth by telling you our local guitar tech took in a Les Paul with a price tag of 3,500.00 and it wasn't set up properly..the posts had to be realigned...now that's a waste of money and yes, it happens to many makes and models.....

and for the lad(s) or lads that think people that own Epi's can't either afford the " REAL DEAL " ..( what ever that means ) or are envious of Gibson owners...let's match T4'slips and we can go from there...I happen to own a Fender MIM and Epiphone LP Custom..they have been rewired with high end pups including hardware, pots and switches..they sound better then the " REAL DEAL(S) ".. !

have I said too much....:D

JZ06

Reaction score
I bought two brand new studio LP's a month apart. The only complaint I have is the fret edges are a bit sharp. Other than that, these things are on the $. I must have played a dozen LP's in the process of buying these as well. They were all set up very well. If I had more $$$ to throw at G.A.S. I'd have a few more.

LesLuvva

Reaction score
Just Epiphone owners justifying why the are poor.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vxiQ9JCKvE]The Miz : Really ? - YouTube[/ame]

:hmm:For reals, dude? I'll tell you what: Give Jimmy Page an Epi & you can play his #1, and we'll see who sounds better!

CivoLee

Reaction score
like you just did !!

would like to add my 3,500.00 dollars worth by telling you our local guitar tech took in a Les Paul with a price tag of 3,500.00 and it wasn't set up properly..the posts had to be realigned...now that's a waste of money and yes, it happens to many makes and models.....

and for the lad(s) or lads that think people that own Epi's can't either afford the " REAL DEAL " ..( what ever that means ) or are envious of Gibson owners...let's match T4'slips and we can go from there...I happen to own a Fender MIM and Epiphone LP Custom..they have been rewired with high end pups including hardware, pots and switches..they sound better then the " REAL DEAL(S) ".. !

Welcome to the board...you've responded to a troll thread full of corksniffers from over a year ago.

paul 1

Reaction score
I am really scared of this, I am passionate about my love for Gibson guitars and seeing them use Richlite on a guitar is pure anathema to me. Henry Juszkiewicz is ruining Gibson.

Clearly Gibson's success from 1984 onwards has to be attributed to the stewardship of David Berryman, and Gary Zebrowski, not Henry Juszkiewicz he's made many bad decisions and thinks himself the Steve Jobs of guitar manufacturing, yet hasn't delivered anything other than bad decisions.

It's an insult to the work of Ted McCarty, Les Paul, Seth Lover.

What do I tell my 13 year old son when he wants to go out and buy a nice Gibson but it has to be bought used because Gibson will only be making crap by then? It's completely messed up.
I agree with you and i can't help but wonder how well these richlite guitars will hold there value when they are being sold used. I think we would all prefer wood wouldn't we?

Gnarleydudes80

Reaction score
My experience with Gibson and Epiphone in the past year.

95 Gibson SG Standard - Absolute crap, no sustain, no balls, swapped pickups 3 times and caps and it still sounded like crap-SOLD IT
06 Epiphone SG G-400 Great sounding and playing guitar, blew the SG Standard away IMO
06 Gibson SG Faded Special - Awesome guitar, bought it used with burstbuckers and it blew the Standard and the EPI away. Ended up selling it to fund another purchase.
2011 - Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus - Awesome guitar, bought it new and even with stock pickups it sounded great.
2001- Gibson Les Paul Classic - Eh, it was ok, liked the epiphone lp better.
2010- Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro - Crap. Did not sound much better than the Epi and would not stay in tune no matter what I did. SOLD.
1975 - Gibson Les Paul Deluxe Standard - Found this used at my local GC and fell in love with it. Sounds great, plays great, this is by far my favorite guitar.
2012 - Gibson Les Paul Classic Custom - first one they sent me was junk. Nibs werent level to frets so the high e kept pulling off the fretboard with minimum pressure applied. The binding up the fretboard had several rough spots that you could feel on your fingers. Sent it back. They sent me another one that was great looking, playing and sounding.

I personally find that Epiphone is a great guitar for the money. I wouldnt say they are better than a good Gibson, but It seems like alot of Gibsons Ive played, or read about on here have alot of issues that a guitar costing us 2,000 shouldnt have.

roeg

Reaction score
useless%20pie%20chart.gif

Simpliest%20pie%20chart%20ever.jpg

lookslike.gif

:thumb:

Of course Gibsons are better than Epiphiones generally speaking. Gibson's quality control and consistency is the problem.

thats funny!i like pie!:laugh2:...silly posts do have a purpose.Humour here is spot up and the issues still get debated:)!...My lead singer plays an epi LesPaul.I'm on the other side with my R8.nuff said,they don't sound the same.The Epi is a decent if uninspiring instrument to a seasoned player.The R8 is inspirational because of the way it sounds.The epi is not,because of the way it sounds.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Chinese Epiphones are full of poison and lead. You CAN eat a Gibson.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hey, guys, let's try and set a record of how many useless, repetitive goddamned threads we can start in a fvcking weekend, 'kay?

Don't sugar coat it man, what are you really trying to say? :laugh2:

I'd say gibson is more or less consistent, while epiphone is going up in construction though not necessarily in material. i'd say it's true that the chinese manufacturing under epiphone is improving.

my thoughts too.

TheImmaterial

Reaction score
I've said this a few times now but Gibson can't let Epiphones be that good. Precisely because people will start threads like this. Any person who says an Epiphone is as good as a Gibson is only asking for Gibson to make them worse (maybe like how they moved the factory from Japan to Korea to China? Or hell from moving epiphone out of the states in the first place!)

Why do you think they drill holes in the USA models and give them short tenons? To stop them being as good as custom shops!

Disclaimer: obviously you can get some great guitars of each that will rival their more expensive counterparts but the idea is that overall quality has to remain distinct between the groups.

Also, Henry owns Gibson. It's his company. It's his money he's "running into the ground" and supposedly sabotaging himself at every step. QC is so low because they can't build them fast enough to ship them there's so much demand. Prices go up every year and they keep on selling so he must be doing something right.

Just buy used. It's what I do :)

22Frets

Reaction score
Go do your own product sampling and report back here. What it comes down to is ... No one else's opinion matters but your own. :wow:

al moon

Reaction score
Those are probably rumours started by people owning Epiphone guitars and are in fact jealous because they dont own the real deal.

I own 3 Gibson Les Paul guitars, ive been playing guitar for like 3 years. There have been people telling my I dont deserve these guitars bla bla. They are always the people that own cheap guitars, go figure!

Gibson has been releasing cheaper models lately but they still make the regular guitars. Even the cheaper models like the faded series are excellent guitars. So there :)

first of all,,,no one either deserves or doesn't deserve to own a particular guitar. You buy what you want regardless of what it is....2nd of all, if epi's are getting to be better quality, that;s a good thing..If you want to compare epi's to gibby's..there is no comparison.

colchar

Banned
Reaction score
like you just did !!

Nice necropost.

KenG

Reaction score
I think the OP is a troll. Brand new, started only 2 threads, both Gibby vs Epi.:io:

Latest Threads