Are Gibson 57's really better ?

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
I may be buying a guitar with 57 Classics in it. I had them in another guitar and hated them. I hope they work better in this particular guitar I may be buying. I have some good pickups lying around but I don't feel like working on a new guitar Lol.

mdubya

Reaction score
My theory is that at the end of the Henry era, there was no regarding to specs on pickups, "just wind the cheapest thing you can wind and put a sticker on it calling it a Burstbucker or a 57 or a 490 or whatever."

As a fan of the early 57's, I would like to see Gibson wind them in their original spec. Why build these labor intensive guitars and then put junk pickups in them?

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
My theory is that at the end of the Henry era, there was no regarding to specs on pickups, "just wind the cheapest thing you can wind and put a sticker on it calling it a Burstbucker or a 57 or a 490 or whatever."

As a fan of the early 57's, I would like to see Gibson wind them in their original spec. Why build these labor intensive guitars and then put junk pickups in them?
The T-Top should be brought back. It's perfect.

DoctorGonzo

Reaction score
I've got an old set of 57s in an SG and they're perfect. I think they were early 2000s from what I remember. I've got a set from 2012 and they're just ok. Had them in a Les Paul originally and now have one in an esquire parts-caster. Don't know what they did to them over the years to suck all the magic out of them but the new ones don't have the vintage vibe to my ears.

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
All I know is that I have a “first batch” 57+, I’ve had it for few years and in different guitars, a couple of Les Paul’s and also an SG: the guitars were great to start with, but I can tell that the pickup itself is killer, it’s a keeper for life!
I heard that esteemed pickup guru Tom Holmes was heavily involved with the design and early production of the ‘57 line of pickups? That would explain everything...

Last edited:

brianbzed

Reaction score
They work fine for me. Have had 3 Les Pauls with them as stock ( still have 2 of the 3 ). They are warm enough and suitably crunchy using overdrive. These guitars are all-around workhorses....not trying emulate any particular sound, player, or specific instrument. The old argument comes to mind: it's not the sword- it's the swordsman. FWIW

Les Paulverizer

Reaction score
The T-Top should be brought back. It's perfect.
Please don’t get me wrong, but I find this quite amusing, as the T-Top is the one pickup which started the whole “replacement” thing: everyone would rip them out of their guitars and replace them with a DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan...and be very happy with the results, and they weren’t all stupid...
I find it weird that as soon as any piece of gear becomes “vintage”, then it’s suddenly hailed as the greatest thing, which nobody cared about in the first place anyway...and goes up in price of course.

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Please don’t get me wrong, but I find this quite amusing, as the T-Top is the one pickup which started the whole “replacement” thing: everyone would rip them out of their guitars and replace them with a DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan...and be very happy with the results, and they weren’t all stupid...
I find it weird that as soon as any piece of gear becomes “vintage”, then it’s suddenly hailed as the greatest thing, which nobody cared about in the first place anyway...and goes up in price of course.
I'm happy for all of that. My first electric, the MIJ Northern had T-Tops in it. When my aunt bought the guitar in the 80s, the shop installed the T-Tops for free. I'm assuming they had a drawer of them. Flash forward and they're worth more than the guitar, any day.

Latest Threads