Are Epiphone necks more susceptible to temperature/humidity change?

VergDan

Reaction score
Hello everyone, new guy here. I purchased an Epiphone Les Paul Modern few days ago.

I have set up the guitar and played it for a few days. I kept the guitar on a stand in my room in which the temperature is around 33 degrees Celsius during the day. At night when sleeping I turn on the air conditioner so the temperature drops to around 26 degrees Celsius. Then the next morning I noticed the neck's relief increased and the 12th fret action went from 1.3mm to about 1.6mm (small change in number, big change in feel).

I know that temperature messes with the guitars, but the thing is I have a PRS SE Mira on a stand next to the Epiphone, and the neck hardly ever changes. Although the strings on the PRS are maybe 1 month old (dead already?) while the Epiphone has a set of brand new strings (which I thoroughly stretched and stay in tune). I also have an older Epiphone Prophecy, when taken to a luthier to get a refret, he commented that the neck seems more 'bouncy' than other guitars he's worked on. I also had an LTD Eclipse in the room before, its neck does change but not as much as this new Epiphone.

So my question is, are Epiphone necks more susceptible to temperature/humidity change? Is it the new strings? Is it just normal and PRS just use extra strong truss rod? Thanks for any input.

DrBGood

Reaction score
And it's not temperature that brings those changes, it's humidity levels. Some of my Epiphones move, others don't.

Wuuthrad

Reaction score
Certain woods are more prone to movement or warping. Movement is natural in wood, warping is bad.

Maple necks are stronger than Mahogany, 3 piece necks are stronger than single piece, and some makers use Carbon fiber (Schecter) or H-Expanders (Hagstrom) to make more stable necks. But these guitars don’t have the same reputation for whatever reasons, and are not as popular, but are very good guitars for the money.

Electrical Guitar Co. makes guitars with aluminum guitar necks, which have incredible sustain and stability, and also a significantly higher cost.

Latest Threads