Are Danelectro Pedals Worth It?

The Outlaw

Reaction score
i've only tried the fab metal and hated everything about it. it put me off of trying others from them for sure. i may have to rethink that

will c

Reaction score
I have an old (90's?) Fabtone...

The Fabtone, on the other hand, is one of my all time favorite pedals. I will not be larting with it. It does metal great. Sure it has a very narrow tonal range and is way over the top with gain and treble, but it is brutal!

I've got a 90's Fab Tone too!! But, it's not on my current board...

I learned many-a 90's alternative and rock with that pedal's influence...

Phildog

Reaction score
I'm having a lot of fun playing this Chili Dog Octave pedal. It's very simple, but works great. And it's on my board with no noise!!!

firesgt911

Reaction score
I've got a 90's Fab Tone too!! But, it's not on my current board...

I learned many-a 90's alternative and rock with that pedal's influence...
Same here! It rarely gets used anymore, but for the prices they go for it isn't worth it to sell. I have too many fond memories with it.

kboman

Reaction score
I've got the original '90s 18V Cool Cat chorus and it's a great pedal, probably the best chorus pedal I know. The shape and the voltage requirement are the major drawbacks and I would really have liked it to have a mix control, but apart from that I see no reason to ever considering using something dfifferent.

I also have a Fab Distortion, probably the worst dirt pedal I have ever played... thin, trebly and awful. No dynamics whatsoever.

StormJH1

Reaction score
The reason they are "worth" it is because the Dano pedals hit a price point that not even the recent wave of quality Chinese clones (Joyo, Biyang, etc.) can hit. It's one thing say "meh, I don't really use chorus or echo in my playing, so i won't buy a pedal for those"...and then you find a Dano FAB that does that reasonably well for $15 - $30 used...how can you really go wrong?

They are plastic, but the worst thing about them really is the layout and lack of real estate on top for I/O jacks and 9V. The modulation/timing effects, though, generally do the job, especially if it's just a "once in awhile" flavor you want.

As the poster above said, though, stay away from the Distortion/Overdrive ones - plenty of affordable other options, and I have not heard good things.

Liam

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I bought a French Toast little plastic thing for fuzz/octave, think it was a little over $20 new on ebay. It's brilliant, blows most of the boutique fuzz octaves I've AB'd it with right out of the water. The MOST bang per buck ever achieved in my modest collection of 50 odd pedals (guessing really, not counted them in an age).

Liam

Fuelish

Reaction score
Can only speak for the Fish & Chips eq ....affordable, does what it's supposed to, has held up well so far. My biggest, actually my only gripe with the pedal is the toe sized switch....makes me wanna play barefoot, as it works great using your big toe :cool:

Reaction score
the cool cat series are pretty solid pedals... worth a lot more than you pay for them, I have a micro vibe now but did have the cool cat vibe and I swear the cool cat was thicker sounding and just better overall BUT had the delay for it to come on and the volume increase was significant

maaadtrip

Reaction score
My grey Cool Cat Drive (v1) sounds AMAZING! The French Toast Octave Fuzz is another awesome bang for your buck.

The switches on the cheap plastic pedals are lacking, but the sound is definitely NOT.

lexluthier

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
There are a few of the plastic ones that actually are really cool and can be had for next to nothing - French Toast (Octave fuzz), Rocky Road (Leslie), and the Chicken Salad (Uni Vibe). Yes the housings are flimsy, as are the jacks, pots and switch, that's why they are cheap. But they sound really good. and there are guys out there that rehouse into sturdier enclosures with better switches, pots and jacks. The French Toast works better than most octave fuzzes I've owned. You can do mods the the Chicken Salad to make it more Uni Vibe-like: Mods for the Danelectro Chicken Salad Vibe Pedal for Univibe Tone

The Transparent Overdrive V.1 (CTO-1) was a Timmy clone, I guess Paul C had a conversation with the owner of Evets (Danelectro) and the design was changed for the V.2 version (CTO-2).

2009LPGT

Reaction score
The Chicken salad uni-vibe is really good even in its stock form. As a rehouse, it is as good as most of the U-Vibe pedals made!

guysmiley

Reaction score
There are a few of the plastic ones that actually are really cool and can be had for next to nothing - French Toast (Octave fuzz), Rocky Road (Leslie), and the Chicken Salad (Uni Vibe). Yes the housings are flimsy, as are the jacks, pots and switch, that's why they are cheap. But they sound really good. and there are guys out there that rehouse into sturdier enclosures with better switches, pots and jacks. The French Toast works better than most octave fuzzes I've owned. You can do mods the the Chicken Salad to make it more Uni Vibe-like: Mods for the Danelectro Chicken Salad Vibe Pedal for Univibe Tone

The Transparent Overdrive V.1 (CTO-1) was a Timmy clone, I guess Paul C had a conversation with the owner of Evets (Danelectro) and the design was changed for the V.2 version (CTO-2).
I have those pedals and can attest to their sound. Awesome. The Uni-Vibe mod is so easy and cheap. I can't think of a better bang for the buck Uni-Vibe out there. None are that cheap. Mine sounds pretty damn good.

Syrus

Reaction score
The Chicken salad uni-vibe is really good even in its stock form. As a rehouse, it is as good as most of the U-Vibe pedals made!
I've been playing with CC Vibe.

Good pedal.

Has a slight volume boost when engaged and it has a small delay.
(Both problems are easily fixed)

Other than that, excellent quality for money paid. Good bypass tone.

rinoatl

Reaction score
They aren't bad sounding pedals at all.For the price it's tough to beat really,but from my experience they just dont last,but i use them a lot and put them through the paces.I like them though,even some of the little plastic cheap ones have really good sounds.

Batman

Reaction score
I've been playing with CC Vibe.

Good pedal.

Has a slight volume boost when engaged and it has a small delay.
(Both problems are easily fixed)

Other than that, excellent quality for money paid. Good bypass tone.
I have the same pedal and the same "issues"

Have you done any mods?

Syrus

Reaction score
I have the same pedal and the same "issues"

Have you done any mods?
I have an external volume box, so for me the volume issue isn't really a problem.
The delay can be fixed, but this requires the pedal to be in a permanently on state, which might be good for the delay issue, but bad for the bulb. (Actually, really cool that they use a genuine bulb instead of an LED like BBE does for example, as this is closer to the vintage originals)

To me, the volume boost comes in handy, it pushes the pre-amp stage of my amp and since I use it to play Hendrix / Trower / Floyd songs I use it only from time to time. It's on an smaller board with a CB95 and a foxx tone machine copy. It does Bridge of sighs really spot-on.

Where it to be used live, I would surely adapt it.

Perfect explanation plus schemata:
Aperio Guitar – A better Mod for Cool Cat Vibe

I think a small 100K-500K trimpot could solve the boost issue.

Batman

Reaction score
Yeah, I use mine for a couple of Kenny Wayne Sheppard and Hendrix tunes and the volume boost isn't an issue either.

Mine is in one of the loops of my Voodoo Labs Pedal Switcher so the switching delay is a moot point. I turn the pedal off when it is not going to be used.

I'm looking at the link you provided. . .

toneguy86

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I know a professional Nashville player who uses the little plastic Danelectro tremolo pedal on his traveling pedal board.

This is my go to tremolo pedal. I love it actually. What I like in particular is that it gives you a bit of a boost in your signal. It just sounds good.

rikko

Reaction score
They sound great, but they seemed to fail for me ONLY AT GIGS.