Are amps like V8’s?

Brek

Reaction score
This is really informative, great to read all these opinions and experiences. I had looked the the Cornell 7, and had seen the the peavy classic 30 combo recommended on an amp builders site here in U.K. If if I had the room/opportunity to turn it up, ARandalls suggested Marshall studio 20V, is a compelling value and watching a few reviews on you tube it does apparently, ’rock’. The boutique tweeds are still way to loud for me to consider at home. Again if space and opportunity were there that mini Mercury would be a contender. I have ordered a turret board built tweed clone fitted with one 6v6, have 14 days to decide if 1: I like sag, 2: I can get good sounds without my ears ringing. If not it’s going back. I have a 95db speaker I can try this with. The waza I need a demo of In store as headphones cannot be returned due to hygiene reasons. So that will have to wait for dec 2nd. i need to thin out those speakers though, will probably cut the 600x600 cab in half and make two smaller cabs will probably install the creamback and g10vintage in one as they sound good together. The other one I might put a 10 and 12 in alnico in. Then sell the both of them, leaving me with a cheap 4x10 and a 12 inch and 10in cab for the two alnico’ s I have left. Might put the 4x10 in the garage with some form of insulation around it.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, there are not any of either available at this time. Maybe I should do a "WTB"

Interesting that you find that the Plexi 7 sounds better at low volumes. Some of the reviews reported that it was either still too loud at low volumes, or poor sound. But I know there was an update, which it sounds like you have.

DAMN, i really want one now :laugh2:

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is really informative, great to read all these opinions and experiences. I had looked the the Cornell 7, and had seen the the peavy classic 30 combo recommended on an amp builders site here in U.K. If if I had the room/opportunity to turn it up, ARandalls suggested Marshall studio 20V, is a compelling value and watching a few reviews on you tube it does apparently, ’rock’. The boutique tweeds are still way to loud for me to consider at home. Again if space and opportunity were there that mini Mercury would be a contender. I have ordered a turret board built tweed clone fitted with one 6v6, have 14 days to decide if 1: I like sag, 2: I can get good sounds without my ears ringing. If not it’s going back. I have a 95db speaker I can try this with. The waza I need a demo of In store as headphones cannot be returned due to hygiene reasons. So that will have to wait for dec 2nd. i need to thin out those speakers though, will probably cut the 600x600 cab in half and make two smaller cabs will probably install the creamback and g10vintage in one as they sound good together. The other one I might put a 10 and 12 in alnico in. Then sell the both of them, leaving me with a cheap 4x10 and a 12 inch and 10in cab for the two alnico’ s I have left. Might put the 4x10 in the garage with some form of insulation around it.
You are fortunate to live in the UK, where Cornell comes from. Here , "Across the Pond" they don't come up too often.

Then again, we have Carr and Dr Z

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Now I'm even more desirous of a Plexi 7 :facepalm:

rich85

Reaction score
The Cornell Plexi 7 is amazing. It does low volume so well.

This is my DSL 1 watt on the 0.1 Watt setting through a Marshall MX112 with a Seventy 80 Speaker. And a TS808 halfway through. If you want less volume the ultra gain channel is there.

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Cornell Plexi 7 is amazing. It does low volume so well.

This is my DSL 1 watt on the 0.1 Watt setting through a Marshall MX112 with a Seventy 80 Speaker. And a TS808 halfway through. If you want less volume the ultra gain channel is there.

nice playing

agogeter

Reaction score
blues and rock guys did use big watt amps, BB king used Lab 100 watters.all the marshall guys,twin reverbs had a big share of the action too.
if you can snag a good attenuator there are tons of older 100 watt amps cheap nowadays. the carvin. showmans, even tube PA heads, there are no rules. although the first thing i thought of when i read your post was the old red knob fender twin. they flat slay. and their cheap. and the master volume works great. they are supposed to be 'dumbleish' and they might be. i plugged into one once, pre amped it and bam!! i need to find one!
as far as speakers i compare them to airplanes. what sonds cooler 1 plane flying over or 4 planes flying over?

Brek

Reaction score
To help work out what the sound 'in my head' is, after reading on here about it. I bought Bias Amp 2, useful little app, been playing with really saggy settings, boy it feels weird. its like i feel suspense waiting for the amp to respond. quite a weird sensation. will take some getting used too. downloaded the Celestion vintage IR, they sound pretty damn close to the real deal. I have latency set to low there still seems to be a perceptible delay from hitting string to hearing it.

monstruo_loco

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My old Fender Champ (silverface) barely on with a fuzz in front produced some of the most authentic vintage tones imaginable. It was almost too loose. But spot on for 60's rock, even some AC/DC. Gotta work the guitar...
^ this is what I usually do now especially with my wife at home 24/7 working at home since the virus hit, fortunately with all the times I’ve stupidly let go of now valuable gear (‘64 strat, ‘71 tele, ‘72 Dan Armstrong acrylic, ‘64 Melody Maker, ‘70s 50 watt plexi, etc...) I somehow managed to hold onto the BF Vibro-Champ I bought off a guy in HS for $25.00 & have played it & made several repairs over the years including transformers, all caps & resistors, speaker(s) over the past 45 years and it's still the best amp of all the others I own used as a low volume solution to getting blues & classic rock tones using a Ge Sunface and/or AM modified TS using the guitar volume to control the fuzz as an OD, but I’ll be the first to admit that it’s a compromise over what you describe since nothing matches a larger tube amp turned up doing it’s thing. Previously when home alone I would use either a MKIIB or Hi-tone Lowatt as a clean pedal platform with MIAB or other pedals made by Lovepedal, and before that would set up my early SF DR, Marshall 50 watt 1/2 stack, or 4-10 Bassman RI in a separate room but then I’d lose the in-your-face effect only had if in the same room. Often considered an isolation cab for recording, but recently decided to get a Fryette PS-2 right when they became unavailable due to CVD & will get one once available to see if I can get closer to the sound of a larger amp full-up on volume yet at reduced levels, hopefully that will work out to where I can dust off the larger amps & bring them back into use again.

Brek

Reaction score
So far am really digging the amplitude Z_Wreck with single coils, and the ac30 and dumble amps in bias with humbuckers. Fizzy, but good. The ac30 surprised me, never thought I would dig that sound.

Last edited:

Latest Threads