Are all reissues made from air-dried or klin-dried wood?

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Reaction score
Was wondering this for a while; my guess is air-dried judging by the weight of a "new" solid body reissue?

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
They collect the residue after a batch is done and sell it as instant mahogany tea.

..and serve it at the Mad Hatter's Tea Party.

Last edited:

JeffH66

Pelham Blue Addict
Reaction score
They use the residue that falls to the floor of the kiln plus what they scrape off the sides and roof every 90 days and mix it, then use it as grain filler on all 59' reissues and CC runs. This way they transfer a small bit of molecular dust from the original bursts whose wood was kiln dried in the very same kiln during the 50's. It's how they give 59's the mojo they have and it's why 59's are much more expensive.

I know a guy who used to be a kiln scraper. He quietly pocketed small amounts of dust for over 30 years and then had an original 59' burst made from the material collected. He sold it at auction and retired to Florida.

J-Dizzle

Reaction score
I know a guy who used to be a kiln scraper. He quietly pocketed small amounts of dust for over 30 years and then had an original 59' burst made from the material collected. He sold it at auction and retired to Florida.
:laugh2:

jamman

Reaction score
It's HJ and the Marketing Dept . Breathing on it . Lots of hot air coming out of there .....:thumbs:
Or maybe ,,,,, That's why it took so long to get BRW Ri's done ????

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
nah, they don't air OR kiln dry the wood.....the make the reissues from that magical pile of leftover 63yr old mahogany Gibson got just before they stopped making bursts, right next to the palate of NOS PAF's still in the box....only problem is, to use it the shop would have to move the Firebird X model which is HJ's and sits atop the entire pile and he let's NO ONE touch his precious Firebird X....NO ONE....

Latest Threads