Are all Custom Buckers potted?

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
It's been announced that the 2019 reissues will have unpotted Custom Buckers. Were any unpotted before? I ask because my 2012 CBs seem unpotted up until I heard that. Get nice feedback compared to my other humbuckers, maybe too easy. I've visually inspected the pickups before and can't find evidence of wax, including backing out the bobbin screws. Doing so on my Seymour Duncans, etc, easily showed wax. So I assumed they were unpotted.

Pappy58

Reaction score
The ones I have taken apart were potted....but lightly. No outside evidence of it. It wasn't obvious until I pulled the cover off. Per Gibson descriptions, BB1 and BB2 were not potted. IDK what made them go potted on CB's to begin with? :dunno:

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
Burstbuckers were potted in the guitars but aftermarket burstbuckers were not potted.....at least the ones I bought were not potted. Is Gibson selling aftermarket custombuckers now or is this just a new feature for 2019?

Pappy58

Reaction score
Burstbuckers were potted in the guitars but aftermarket burstbuckers were not potted.....at least the ones I bought were not potted. Is Gibson selling aftermarket custombuckers now or is this just a new feature for 2019?
Dammit! I have two guitars with BB1/2 from factory but have never pulled a cover off one. But I'd bet they are potted, just based on behavior. ...but of course now I'm going to have to look. Gibson never offered after market CB's that I am aware of.

spoony

Premium Member
Reaction score
Did I read somewhere that the Custom Buckers in the Beano guitar were not potted? Gibson has removed their links to past specs so I'm not sure?

s

cmcgov

Reaction score
Going out on a limb here, but due to all the gibson videos from 2019 namm and multiple threads discussing this.

First time the custom buckers unpotted are now 2019 and you can't buy them aftermarket. They also updated the pots and caps.

Burstbuckers came potted in guitars and you can find them unpotted with aftermarket purchases.

For thoroughness since we're going down this rabbit hole: classic 57's were always potted and classic 57's before 2001ish used a different type of wire in the bobbins.

Custom orders, M2M, runs, and one off's can change anything at a premium cost.

Reference material:
MLP Threads:
http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/gibson-custom-shop-2019-premier-guitar.422500/
http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/2019-custom-shop-reissue-changes-sneak-peek.420542/page-8

Youtube Videos:
2:35
1:45
1:06:28, 1:08:50

Phew, wish things would stay in one thread about the 2019's!

Last edited:

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
The ones I have taken apart were potted....but lightly. No outside evidence of it. It wasn't obvious until I pulled the cover off.
I've never pulled the cover on the neck, but the bridge came uncovered from Gibson. Of course, it wouldn't show the residual wax from under the cover because it didn't have one, but I couldn't find any around the bobbins/tape. I haven't looked since I bought the guitar and checked everything out.

DrSte31n

Reaction score
Someone on the other forum said: "I’ve swapped the magnets in my TH59 custombuckers numerous times and never detected a scintilla of wax so I have no idea what Gibson is talking about with the new potless custombuckers."

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
It could be marketing language. "First" unpotted CB's for the entire Historic range. Not necessarily first ever. Just a thought, though.

Guitar Rod

Reaction score
Someone on the other forum said: "I’ve swapped the magnets in my TH59 custombuckers numerous times and never detected a scintilla of wax so I have no idea what Gibson is talking about with the new potless custombuckers."
Perhaps their waxpotting is like making a martini with vermouth. They just wave a block of paraffin over each pickup.

Latest Threads