Are 80's Navigators equal in quality to current ones?

alainguitars

Reaction score
As an extra question, are the Fender replicas as well built as the Gibson copies?

JDZ

Reaction score
Yes, but they are different.
Best one's are on par with an EGF 1800 or LS-200.

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
From what I have heard, the 80s Navs were more likely to be heavy and most were poly finished. I think they used similar construction otherwise. Would be cool to see someone totally refin one in nitro.

I would also love some details on the Navigator strats. I have seen more than 1 auction with 3piece bodies which seems lame if the guitar retailed for over 300k JPY. I think there are at least 2 MLP guys that have them but haven't heard much, whereas the NLP owners rave about them.

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah most of the Telespo and Esparto's were pure lacquer and same goes with the 80's models, at least the 100's and up. I love the older ones.

jlee

Reaction score
Never played a newer Navigator, but I own a early 80s ESP built SA-120. Lacquer finish, light weight and resonant. Easily hangs with my ‘81 Tokai ES-100. Fantastic guitar!

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I have a 1980 Navigator Les Paul, nitro finish, sold flame top, neck is one piece with no wings, two piece back.
Weighs 9 lbs even

I have a Navigator Strat, 2004 NST 500, was a custom order, pure nitro finish

Wow, that looks much nicer than some of the ones I have seen on YJ. The last one I was looking at had a 3 piece body and it made me wonder if someone had just put a Nav neck on a random strat body. That looks like a single piece body and highly figured neck. Is it a thick profile?

villager

Reaction score
there were a lot of different models in the early years..the top end in the 80s were as good as the modern ones, the others were not..

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah there was an early 80s Nav I won a few years back, mahogany body that looked 1 piece but ended up being 3 piece.
I got a refund as I am pretty sure it was a neck on a diff body.

eborej

Reaction score
Last edited:

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
Were the older strats relatively thin necks? There were a few older espartos I looked at but wasn't sure if they were any better than early 80s Grecos or Tokais.

eborej

Reaction score
Were the older strats relatively thin necks? There were a few older espartos I looked at but wasn't sure if they were any better than early 80s Grecos or Tokais.
Setting aside the neck size and whether they are vintage-correct, the nitro/1-piece body Espartos & Telespos are right up there with my high-end Tokai & Greco Strats from the same era.

Last edited:

Hydra19

Reaction score
I have both and I find them.a bit different but both great guitars. I have a limited model from 2001 I think and its a p90 gold top. I don't know if they make the necks on these different from the humbucker models but its a fat u shape neck that is great. Its very heavy but sounds and plays great.
The 80s Navigator has a much thinner neck and seems less bulky, but the finish and general construction seem better on the gold top. Nevertheless this guitar also has character, mojo and is fast playing due to thinner neck. Rosewood fretboard is much lighter on the gold top and is Honduran, dont know what the 80s one is. Both have MOP inlays.
I'm not much of a strat guy but got a fender cs60 that I wasn't getting along with until a Navigator strat from 2005 came along, I got it and its unbelievable. I'm not a strat guy but I still say its my best guitar.
From the moment I strummed it out of the case it was perfect and my 1st thought was I wish the CS 60 felt like that.
Its very light but the crucial thing is the unexplainable setup. Absolutely straight neck, and 1 mm action, yet no buzz at all, sounds perfect, although the strings are almost too low, its plays effortlessly and seems lacking nothing. I haven't dared change anything at all, I've only changed the strings 2-3 times in 3 years as it always sounds, plays and feels great so it never feels its time to change the strings. I don't play it much, but everything I do i notice the same thing. I certainly didn't expect that from a sub £1000 strat but I don't think I'll ever need another or play one that fits me better. Hopefully I have a need for more strat tones in the future but if I had a gig that needed a guitsr for everything its the first I'd choose since its so comfortable and easy to play. Fat u shape neck thst feels great and much better than the thin oval c of the CS 60

Latest Threads