Archtop in Rhino / how can I careate the surface?!

DanSto

Reaction score
Hello

I need to make a 3D Model of an Archtop guitar in Rhino3D 4.0
I have already tried it with the function "Fillarea" but it does not fit proper to the splines (esspecially to the outline spline).
Now I have clean redrawn, all my splines, like in the plan I got, but I cant create a good surface with any function... My goal was to use the function CurveNetwork but it makes the ends look really ugly.

Hope you guys can help me a little bit out of that problem - I cant believe that it would be hard to achive.

Here are some Screendumps:

Grz DanSto

DanSto

Reaction score
Hello
Thanks for that hint.
But I want that kind of carve around the shape ( where the curve goes below the start point. - There must be a way to let rhino create a suitable surface out of these curves i drawn in from my plan.
I need a proper solution pretty soon , and i am very new to rhino

Grz dansto

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
As I wrote, you can use this method but you have to use a somewhat different approach.

First, loft the outline curve to a straight center curve like in the screen dump.

Add points to the lofted surface so you can edit the surface.

Move the selected points straight up. in this case 12 mm.
To enhance the recurven further I also have edited the point control weight of the last row of points on the recurve

Trim the outline.

Now we need to fix the cutaway surface. First draw a curve where you want the blend surface down to the binding to start and use that curve to trim the area.

Build a dead flat surface in the cutaway.

Blend between the flat surface and the trimmed top surface.

Extend the blend surface.

Cut/trim the extended blend surface.

This took me like 5 minutes and there's obviously a lot of tweaking left to make it look great but I think that this is a fine method to do it, you can edit the control points until you get the result you're looking for.

DanSto

Reaction score
WOW - Thanks a lot for that great help -
but I am very beginner and I cant get further than the step where I should lof the two curves - I cant add any control points as you did. Mine are all INSIDE the generated surface and there are no knobs to click outside. I think I am doning something wrong up from the very beginning...
Is there any way to use the curves I took from my plan (the slices), to generate matching surface? The way you described needs all manual adjustment to match the curves.
By the way: I wanted to try out the little helper program curtate_cycloid but I cant open it (its a .exe file / Maybe no 64-Bit?)

I am about to despair....
Anyway - I really appreciate you good help so far!

grz DanSto