Arcane 1957's?

mdubya

Reaction score
Anybody ever try these?

I was researching Tom Holmes pickups and came across a post saying the 1957's are Arcane's version of the TH 455/450.

I love 57 Classics and my early 57 + is pretty damn close to perfect for me. Hence, I have lusted after a set of Holmes for some time.

Any info on the Arcanes would be appreciated.

Arcane2

No word on if they are potted or not. I would be interested in a non-potted set if so. I know i could contact Arcane, but thought I would ask here. :thumb:

TIA. :dude:

AJK1

Reaction score
Anybody ever try these?

I was researching Tom Holmes pickups and came across a post saying the 1957's are Arcane's version of the TH 455/450.

I love 57 Classics and my early 57 + is pretty damn close to perfect for me. Hence, I have lusted after a set of Holmes for some time.

Any info on the Arcanes would be appreciated.

Arcane2

No word on if they are potted or not. I would be interested in a non-potted set if so. I know i could contact Arcane, but thought I would ask here. :thumb:

TIA. :dude:
You didn't ask about Wizz or OX4, hence no replies lol

MasterEvan07

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with Arcane pups. Rob Timmons learned from Tom Holmes IIRC. I've had the Triple Clones and '57s...both killer pups. I presently have Echopark 60s Sticker pups (which are built by Arcane for Echopark) and I have Echopark and Arcane pups in my other guitars.

I should think you'd notice a substantial improvement going to Arcanes...not to mention they're not insanely expensive, not cheap, but comparable to most high end winders outside of the Throbak/Wizz/Stephens/etc. camps.

Ed hunter

Reaction score
They are the very best pickups if you want the Holmes 455/450 set without the $500 price tag.
Rob cut his teeth with tom holmes and learned what he knows from him so you cant go wrong.

Ed hunter

Reaction score
Thanks. I really appreciate the feedback. :thumb:

:dude::dude::dude:

I am almost positive you would really dig em since you like the holmes,
they are very highly regarded by a lot of holmes lovers
but for some reason not that well known here at MLP?

mdubya

Reaction score
I am almost positive you would really dig em since you like the holmes,
they are very highly regarded by a lot of holmes lovers
but for some reason not that well known here at MLP?

Actually, I love my early 90's '57 Classic +. I have never tried the Holmes, but have always wanted to since the '57 was his design.

I probably should try something else, but I have been trying to make everything sound like that SG with the early '57+ ever since and have never been able to do so.

Getting the Arcanes would be easier than going back to 1992 or waiting for a set of Holmes. :)

Ed hunter

Reaction score
Actually, I love my early 90's '57 Classic +. I have never tried the Holmes, but have always wanted to since the '57 was his design.

I probably should try something else, but I have been trying to make everything sound like that SG with the early '57+ ever since and have never been able to do so.

Getting the Arcanes would be easier than going back to 1992 or waiting for a set of Holmes. :)

I also like the old pre 1996 57's, yeah you will really like the 1957's by arcane:naughty:

afranke

Reaction score
I have a arcane triple clone bridge pickup that I will never get rid of.
awesome pickups!

d1m1

Reaction score
i never tried the arcane 57 but i have the PX90 (phil x p90) which is awesome! i think arcane winds pretty good pups. i have two sets of tom holmes pafs and they are next to my wizz and ox4 some of the best i´ve ever tried. i would say tom holmes are a bit juicier and heavier sounding, but ox4 and wizz have a better clarity. specialy at the neck position. if the arcane 57s are like the tom holmes then you cant go wrong since as well as tom holmes as arcane are just great.

Ed hunter

Reaction score
You didn't ask about Wizz or OX4, hence no replies lol

actually all kidding aside i am willing to bet in a P'U shootout like MLP had a few years back where no one knew which they were actually hearing until later i think the Arcanes would fair real well here in votes.
I don't think most here even have heard of them?
yeah they are not 100% every detail accurate to a old PAF(decal, tooling marks on baseplate legs,etc) but in tone they deliver is spades!
If i had not found my tribute set so cheap i was going to get a set of arcanes for my new LP.

MasterEvan07

Reaction score
It's easy to get caught up in periphery and minutiae when it comes to pups, but Arcane does a phenomenal job tonally...if I had to critique something it would be that I'm not thrilled by the cover aging (ECP [HGs] and Wizz do amazing aging), but again that's really quite minor when contrasted to the sound.

brokenvail

Reaction score
You can't go wrong with Arcane pups. Rob Timmons learned from Tom Holmes IIRC. I've had the Triple Clones and '57s...both killer pups. I presently have Echopark 60s Sticker pups (which are built by Arcane for Echopark) and I have Echopark and Arcane pups in my other guitars.

I should think you'd notice a substantial improvement going to Arcanes...not to mention they're not insanely expensive, not cheap, but comparable to most high end winders outside of the Throbak/Wizz/Stephens/etc. camps.
Sorry for bringing back an old post. How would you compare the 57 neck vs the triple clone neck?

mdubya

Reaction score
Wow. Ghosts from the past.

Ultimately, I ended up with sets Tom Holmes H450/455 in a Non Reverse Firebird and a Dot Reissue ES 335.

They are bright and raunchy and aggressive, much different than I imagined they would be. I thought they would be warm and smooth with some bite when digging in, like my early 57 Classic +.

Not the case. I didn't like them much at first, but I have grown to appreciate them to the point I cannot take them out of either guitar. :shock:

I tend to play them with the tones on ~ 5 and the volumes dialed back and in the middle position a lot, too. They make all kinds of magical tones used as such. I have even had comments that the neck pickup sounds almost strat like.

Quite the experience, I must say. I even sent Tom an email to ask some questions and he called me on the phone and talked for the better part of an hour. What an interesting character.

Holmes on the left.

HnYk153.jpg

Uncovered set on the 335.

8HeJIEw.jpg

MasterEvan07

Reaction score
Sorry for bringing back an old post. How would you compare the 57 neck vs the triple clone neck?

I'm 5-1/2 years removed from that experience, those ears, that on-hand gear, etc., my friend. I couldn't tell you much with any certainty at this point. I do know two things - 1) Rob sucks mightily with communication 2) #1 notwithstanding, he makes excellent pickups. Good luck to you!

Latest Threads