Apparently this is a new Martin D28 Modern Deluxe!

Phil W

Reaction score
My 2nd attempt at ordering a Martin D28 Modern Deluxe arrived today after the 1st one went back because of manufacturing defects.
This one arrived from a different but well known UK retailer and look at the state of it !!!

The pick-guard is scratched beyond reason and there's a serious ding in the lacquer!

These guitars retail at £4400 in the UK so this is APPALLING. Needless to say it's being returned.
20210127_124325_resized.jpg
20210127_121852.jpg

bum

Reaction score
Usually I'd say don't worry just play it and replace the scratches with your own, but that is unacceptable, sorry to see this my friend!

LocoTex

Reaction score
Are they telling you that this is a new guitar?

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yikes. Someone had some fun on that guitar. Either a customer return or a floor model, most likely.

Phil W

Reaction score
Yikes. Someone had some fun on that guitar. Either a customer return or a floor model, most likely.
There were no unusual stickers on the box (correct serial number on the Martin sticker) that would indicate a previous delivery and return (or places where stickers had been removed) so I'm going with demo/floor or someone in the dispatch team having a go on it when it was checked over. Either way, totally unacceptable.

Last edited:

Phil W

Reaction score
Damn shame too because it has a really nice top and plays very easily all the way up the neck.
Oh well, they will send me another and the dice will roll again ...

20210127_112828_resized_1.jpg

20210127_112734_resized_1.jpg

20210127_112721_resized_1.jpg

20210127_112709_resized_1.jpg

Roman4405

Reaction score
Can you get them to refund some of your money since it’s obviously been demoed...a lot? If you like the way it looks and plays might be worth a shot. In about 15 minutes you’re gonna put those scratches on the pg anyway. Unles you’re one of those freaks who knows how to play with their fingers...that is beyond my poor ability.
Either way that’s pretty damn unacceptable for any priced guitar being sold as “new”.

Phil W

Reaction score
Can you get them to refund some of your money since it’s obviously been demoed...a lot? If you like the way it looks and plays might be worth a shot. In about 15 minutes you’re gonna put those scratches on the pg anyway. Unles you’re one of those freaks who knows how to play with their fingers...that is beyond my poor ability.
Either way that’s pretty damn unacceptable for any priced guitar being sold as “new”.
Hi. They offered a refund, replacement or keep and discount.
At this price range for a Martin cosmetics are important and I want a NEW guitar as sent from the factory.
I have a Martin 000-15M bought new by me 6 years ago that has NO damage on the pick guard because yes, I fingerpick but also my plectrum/pick work stays on the strings not the guard. None of my 14 guitars has pick damage so accepting one in this state is impossible for me. As they have one more in stock and are willing to send it, eventually, I'll let that happen. If they F-up again it's refund time!

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If it came from over here, I'd say it was the famous 55 point inspection.

That's scary unacceptable for what it is. You step up for one of those, perfection is imperative.
I salute your attempts and hope you are rewarded in the end.

rsswesley

Reaction score
Glad the store you are dealing with is going to work with you so easily. I have had nightmares over some of the returns from different stores. Hope the next one is up to par with what it should be.

Phil W

Reaction score
This is stressful.

The damaged guitar was picked up by Fedex UK today and the retailer has reserved their one remaining guitar for me but they won't dispatch it until FEDEX's tracking indicates the old one has been collected from me.
FEDEX don't update their tracking until 8 hours after the item reaches their depot and until then the tracking says "COLLECTING" not the "COLLECTED" that I require.

My only proof that FEDEX even took the guitar is a FEDEX document that details the collection that I had to print and sign before they arrived. Their driver signs it as he/she takes the package but it's a meaningless squiggle and ANYONE could have signed it; they don't hand over anything that PROVES they took it!!! I should have got a photo but hindsight is an exact science ...

QED I have £4400 / $6032 out their somewhere that has only my word that I sent it until the FEDEX tracking clicks over in 10 to 12 hours time! Why don't they provide a proper receipt of collection FFS? Other couriers like DPD do and it's just a fundamentally obvious safeguard, right?

As I said: stressful.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I would buy that guitar, but I certainly wouldn't expect that kind of wear for full retail new price. That should at lease be new old stock pricing or something. I would have asked for a discount and kept it, but I could see a store not wanting to do that, and see if they can sell it to someone else who won't notice.

Phil W

Reaction score
I would buy that guitar, but I certainly wouldn't expect that kind of wear for full retail new price. That should at lease be new old stock pricing or something. I would have asked for a discount and kept it, but I could see a store not wanting to do that, and see if they can sell it to someone else who won't notice.
I had that option but declined because I want a NEW guitar that's not been abused by at least one other person. It's important to me to get one as first built; I'm in the lucky position to not have to care about a percentage discount; it's quality and aesthetics that I require. I'll use my shoe analogy:
Within days or weeks of buying a new pair of shoes you will scuff, scratch or wear them down and that's normal BUT if you opened the box on delivery and saw someone else had been wearing them and scuffed or scratched them then you'd send them back. Right?

Phil W

Reaction score
Yeah, the overstrumming thing would be more of an Eastwood move than a Van Cleef one.
Boy... I've reached almost 57 years of age with my not overstrumming system ... ;)
(paraphrasing Colonel Douglas Mortimer in For A Few Dollars More.)

Last edited:

Phil W

Reaction score
Unbelievable!!!

The damaged guitar was collected from my home by TNT/FEDEX on Friday as expected and the retailer said that they would send the replacement as soon as the tracking moved to COLLECTED. They had one guitar in stock and reserved it for me and that note appeared on my order page.

Guess what; the customer visible tracking hasn't moved at all and even now 2 days later still says COLLECTING! What is wrong with FEDEX?!!!!!

On Saturday morning I phoned FEDEX and they provided screenshots from their system that prove the box was collected from me and is now at the delivery depot for delivery to my guitar retailer on Monday, tomorrow.
I sent those screenshots to the retailer on Saturday morning and an hour later was phoned by their customer support team, the man I'd communicated with from the start, to say that they would definitely dispatch the replacement on Sunday for delivery to me on Monday because they could see from the FEDEX screenshots that the collection had happened.

It's now late Sunday and I've just received an email stating:

"An item on your order has not arrived from our supplier on time. We're extremely sorry; we won't be able to deliver your order within the estimated timeframe indicated when you placed your order. Covid-19 has caused issues with the supply chain in our industry and we're working very closely with our suppliers to provide the best possible delivery estimates during this time. Unfortunately, we're currently unable to provide an accurate delivery estimate for your order. We're working with our suppliers to resolve this issue and we'll be in touch as soon as your order is ready to dispatch."

This is obviously bull because they have a reserved item for me, no supplier is involved and for some reason they have decided to NOT dispatch my replacement after all but instead of explaining this properly they've fired of a disingenuous form response. The order page now has an estimated delivery of Tuesday.

To say that I am disappointed in this company is something of an understatement. I've not named them thus far out of courtesy but unless they turn this around soon I'm going to be mentioning their poor service here and everywhere else I frequent. DISGRACEFUL!

UPDATE: Monday morning and the tracking has jumped straight from "Collecting" to "Delivering". Better late than never!

Last edited:

Phil W

Reaction score
All's well that ends well. :D

The retailer got a new guitar out to me this morning at 08:10 and that courier service must have cost them.
The Martin box was still staple sealed from the factory and the guitar is 100% new and unmolested.
It plays well and sounds great so I'm pleased and relieved.

20210202_092410_resized.jpg

20210202_092628_resized.jpg

20210202_090045_resized.jpg

Pop1655

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's all great news! Happy to hear.

.......but there's some kind of lizard thingy in your living room.

Latest Threads