Anything new in the world of reverb pedals/tanks?

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been curious about the Strymon Blue Sky if I'm going to go the digital route. I'd like to use whatever unit I get in an effects loop. I had a Demeter Reverbulator a couple years ago and thought it sounded awesome. Problem is I can't find a used one anywhere and they're $600 new. It's the best analog reverb on the market IMHO if you don't want to get a tank. I bought a Spaceman Orion to try and recreate the Demeter magic but I hated the Orion.

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not exactly new, but this is by far the best sounding reverb pedal Ive ever used. I have all 3 tanks, usually use the middle sized one, but its a blast using the full size tank through a Marshall

That looks super cool actually, and it's half the price of the Demeter. Do you run it in the effects loop of any of your amps?

questionman

Reaction score
Ive never actually tried it through the effect loop.....next weekend at practice I will

I LOVE Fender Twins and Supers, working on a deal to buy a 1970 Twin (a Super is a bit much for me currently) and those amps have my favorite reverb tones. This pedal can nail that sparkle in the reverb, but its very customizable. Ive used it through my synth quite a bit and its stellar, our bass player has tried it and loved it. Each tank delivers a totally unique reverb. Using the medium size, I CAN get that deep rich sparkley reverb a handwired Fender amp has, but think more youre playing in a big room and its the natural ambiance of the environment

Super tweakable, they look cool as hell with the wood topping, their customer relations team is great to deal with if any issues arise - had one of the solder joints come loose on one of the tanks, I took care of it but just let them know (working in a world of QA myself we appreciate things like that) and they were great - and it holds up great. Been using it for a year now and outside of that one small thing which was just a minor mishap when they were pushing production out the door the pedal/tanks have withstood quite a bit and are spot on perfect every time I use it

ErictheRed

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've heard great things about that Anasounds reverb. For me though, I either want the reverb from my Pro Reverb (which just sounds fantastic), or I want a simple and small solution. The MXR reverb pedal works for me as a practical solution that sounds great even with higher gain in a band setting. I'm sure there are "better" pedals, but nothing wrong with the MXR.

I tried the Strymon Blue Sky and it sounds good as well, but I actually preferred the MXR when you start to add overdrive and distortion. I think that it will probably depend on what type of reverb you want as well, because not every digital pedal does every type of reverb super well.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Not so much of late.....a while back big strides were being made, but most companies seem to be operating in their own echo chamber now.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Reverb tanks...

Couldn't tell you the last time I played through one.
Can tell you I don't miss them.

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
Game changer Light pedal. I'd say that qualifies as new. and game changing.

mdubya

Reaction score
If I didn't have great reverbs in the AX8, I would get a SurfyBear. And a Boss 63.

Zacknorton

Banned
Reaction score
It's not your standard reverb. that's for sure.

But it's my kind of reverb.

Cory

Reaction score
I've been curious about the Strymon Blue Sky if I'm going to go the digital route. I'd like to use whatever unit I get in an effects loop. I had a Demeter Reverbulator a couple years ago and thought it sounded awesome. Problem is I can't find a used one anywhere and they're $600 new. It's the best analog reverb on the market IMHO if you don't want to get a tank. I bought a Spaceman Orion to try and recreate the Demeter magic but I hated the Orion.
Like most others, I rip through gear and am often intrigued by every shiny new object that comes along - I’ve tried many different reverb pedals over the years and have always come back to the bluesky - I’m not exaggerating when I say I’ve repurchased it 3-4 times now at this point - last reverb I tried was the CBA dark world - still went back to the bluesky - I would like to think I’ve learned my lesson this time - it’s been on my board for almost a year now again and I have no plans to remove it.

CoolRene

Reaction score
I like to use Robert Keeley's 30MS Double Tracker; it has the double tracking feature, as well as Slap Back, Chorus and also the very good "Abby" mode (in homage to the Reverb used by George Martin in the famous Abbey Road Studios).

MichaelAndrew3435

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like most others, I rip through gear and am often intrigued by every shiny new object that comes along - I’ve tried many different reverb pedals over the years and have always come back to the bluesky - I’m not exaggerating when I say I’ve repurchased it 3-4 times now at this point - last reverb I tried was the CBA dark world - still went back to the bluesky - I would like to think I’ve learned my lesson this time - it’s been on my board for almost a year now again and I have no plans to remove it.

Which is why I'm probably just going to drop the extra $$ on the Reverbulator. I already know I like it. It might be expensive but at this point I don't want to go through the hassle of trying others and returning them. The only reason I got rid of my other Reverbulator was because I bought it used online and it was beat up pretty bad. I had an issue turning it on one day and I sent it back. Turns out they sent me the wrong power supply. I didn't want to take the chance and have them send it back to me at that point in case there was something else wrong with it, so it was permanently returned.

I've only been putting off getting a new one for a couple years because Demeter never has them in stock.

SWeAT hOg

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
I want a simple and small solution. The MXR reverb pedal works for me as a practical solution that sounds great even with higher gain in a band setting. I'm sure there are "better" pedals, but nothing wrong with the MXR.
Good to know. I just ordered one. I don't get freaky with reverb, but just want some convincing reverb sims in a simple package. The simplicity of the controls were the appeal. And Andy Martin's demo (Gary Numan at the end!!) is pretty spectacular (they always are).

Lesterdelphia

Reaction score
If I didn't have great reverbs in the AX8, I would get a SurfyBear. And a Boss 63.

The Surfy Bears are great. They do everything from an excellent Fender in amp reverb sound to killer wet, surfy, drip.
The Surfy Bears also come in different size configurations.

I have a Boss '63 but it is tucked away in its' box on a shelf. The Boss '63 was great for its time as it was the first pedal to come close to capturing the drippy surf tones of the Fender Outboard Unit but it has its shortcomings. One (which you probably wouldn't notice in a band setting) are digital artifacts on the "drips" however the big problem is that the Boss '63 does not play well with overdrive or distortion in that it basically filters it out. The other drawback is that Boss '63's goe for crazy $$$$ these days (I guess because they are discontinued).
When it comes to choosing a reverb pedal, it can come down to what type of reverb tones you are looking for. The Catalinbread Topanga does a fantastic job with simulating in amp tube driven spring reverb but is just ok when it comes to the big outboard unit drip. The EHX Oceans 11 pedal does a killer, pretty spot on surf drip and all the other reverb settings are excellent (plus you get tremolo too) and they are priced well. If you don't need the surf drip, there are plenty of decent reverb pedals to choose from out there (the MXR sounds good too) but IMO the EHX Oceans 11 pretty much does it all.

Matopotato

Reaction score
I like the EHX Oceans 11, but it easily gets a bit trebly and shrill in my opinion.
The options and tweaks are a bit overwhelming too and from time to time i just have to reset it when lost. And I do have the schema from the manual printed out...

jwinger

Reaction score
The new UAD golden reverb sounds incredible in every demo I've heard. Sounds like it could be a new standard to my ears

pmonk

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Years ago I picked up a Premier 90 Reverberation Amp Reverb and it continues to do the job

Latest Threads