Anything from the 2014 gib Usa lineup ya really wanna see?

mobprop667

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We just did our big 2014 order for the shop, and for the first time it was tough.
Trying to gauge a market for guitars that I haven't seen yet.
Anyone have any early favourites?
What is gonna die a horrible death?

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
To me the LP and SG 'Futura' models look interesting, just for the pickup combo :thumb:

mobprop667

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am kinda digging those too, but gibson is trying to put etune on everything but too end models.
I was thinking about ordering a ton of normal tuners to do retrofits.

tzd

Reaction score
Andertons is offering to 'de-Min-E' any Standard purchased from them for the cost of the set of replacement tuners, before shipping to the customer.

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
Though a fan of robot's, to install such a controversial system as "standard" is bloody stupid.
Why the heck didn't they leave it as an option which customers could request or not as they required.
I do not understand the thinking behind that strategy decision at all.

JMB1984

Reaction score
If it were me I would look at the dealer costs and stick to the models I can profitably 'blow out' at lower prices when those 2014 inlays are still lingering around Dec/Jan.

As for favorites, I dig the Melody Maker and the Traditional with P90s I saw posted in a video somewhere. Possibly from NAMM? Not sure if it's an exclusive though.

tzd

Reaction score
Not that I'd buy any of it, but if someone comes to me and say he must and will only buy a 2014 model Les Paul, the only one I'll recommend is the LPJ, ** and only in a solid color *** It's the only one that is reasonably priced.

Guitardad47

Reaction score
I would love to try the Custom Classic LP in natural finish. It look's bad ass!

Reaction score
The Standard should be as solid as the last 2 years. Ditto for the Trad. I like the new Melody Maker. I want a Peace real bad, but I'm predicting it will be a flop....possibly bad enough to become a collectors item.

I don't like the 3 knob models and I'm not particularly crazy about anything with a 9 volt battery plugged into the rear cavity. I kinda like min-etune, but agree it's not right to force it on the buyers.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd like to have the new Melody Maker and/or the Futura. As long as there is a P-90 onnit and it's not stupidly overpriced, I'm in! :)

But! I decided after getting a BFG that all my Gibsons from here on out will have at least one P-90 so I guess I'm a moot! :)

Z.K.

Reaction score
I'll skip Gibson this year for sure, I'm going to go with the new ESP USA line instead.

rockstar232007

Reaction score
Well, I really haven't been interested in anything Gibson has put out in the past 20 years, so...

Other than their standard/regular production guitars (Standards, Classics, Customs, etc), as far as I'm concerned, everything else (specifically the newer, min-etune-equipped guitars) are complete crap.

Just my .02.

USAPatriot

Reaction score
Though a fan of robot's, to install such a controversial system as "standard" is bloody stupid.
Why the heck didn't they leave it as an option which customers could request or not as they required.
I do not understand the thinking behind that strategy decision at all.
I'd say it's a matter of cost and preserving the integrity of their inventory. When my 2014 Standard came in, I got a big box. Inside the big box was a slightly smaller Gibson factory box, still factory sealed. And inside that was the cased guitar, a Min-Etune'd Standard.

Had I ordered that same guitar...and I ordered it by specific serial number because I wanted THAT guitar with THAT top, without the robots, someone would have had to have broken the seal on the factory box and swap out the robot tuners for Grovers or whatever. That broken factory seal is problematic as the buyer now doesn't know if he's gotten a floor model, a customer return, or whatever. Plus there's the added cost, borne by the dealer, of doing the work. That either makes the guitar more expensive or the dealer eats the cost, or Gibson reimburses them for the cost. Regardless, it slows things down and really does threaten the integrity of the inventory chain. When I unboxed mine, the first thing I looked at was the factory seals on the Gibson box, to make sure they were intact, not cut and repaired or replaced. The only way to avoid that is to order from the custom shop, where your wish is their command...for a price. I was happy to take on the Min-Etune, actually. I feel the technology has finally matured and is good enough for mass marketing. And the ratio on the tuners is 40:1, versus the normal 14:1, so it's much more accurate than Grovers...you have many more gear teeth available while still being in tune. That makes the tuner more forgiving, especially if you're tuning it by hand and not using the robot's servos. I'm sure Gibson and the dealers could arrange to set things up the way you suggest, but it's going to cost more and it's going to slow down deliveries too, especially if you're ordering a specific guitar. Not so much if you're willing to just let them pick one for you. -Rod-

tzd

Reaction score
I'd say it's a matter of cost and preserving the integrity of their inventory. When my 2014 Standard came in, I got a big box. Inside the big box was a slightly smaller Gibson factory box, still factory sealed. And inside that was the cased guitar, a Min-Etune'd Standard.

Had I ordered that same guitar...and I ordered it by specific serial number because I wanted THAT guitar with THAT top, without the robots, someone would have had to have broken the seal on the factory box and swap out the robot tuners for Grovers or whatever. That broken factory seal is problematic as the buyer now doesn't know if he's gotten a floor model, a customer return, or whatever. Plus there's the added cost, borne by the dealer, of doing the work. That either makes the guitar more expensive or the dealer eats the cost, or Gibson reimburses them for the cost. Regardless, it slows things down and really does threaten the integrity of the inventory chain. When I unboxed mine, the first thing I looked at was the factory seals on the Gibson box, to make sure they were intact, not cut and repaired or replaced. The only way to avoid that is to order from the custom shop, where your wish is their command...for a price. I was happy to take on the Min-Etune, actually. I feel the technology has finally matured and is good enough for mass marketing. And the ratio on the tuners is 40:1, versus the normal 14:1, so it's much more accurate than Grovers...you have many more gear teeth available while still being in tune. That makes the tuner more forgiving, especially if you're tuning it by hand and not using the robot's servos. I'm sure Gibson and the dealers could arrange to set things up the way you suggest, but it's going to cost more and it's going to slow down deliveries too, especially if you're ordering a specific guitar. Not so much if you're willing to just let them pick one for you. -Rod-
All that pristine factory sealing did not save you from getting a broken Min-Etune system with the guitar, did it?

RedSkwirrell

Reaction score
I was happy to take on the Min-Etune, actually. I feel the technology has finally matured and is good enough for mass marketing. And the ratio on the tuners is 40:1, versus the normal 14:1, so it's much more accurate than Grovers...you have many more gear teeth available while still being in tune. That makes the tuner more forgiving, especially if you're tuning it by hand and not using the robot's servos. I'm sure Gibson and the dealers could arrange to set things up the way you suggest, but it's going to cost more and it's going to slow down deliveries too, especially if you're ordering a specific guitar. Not so much if you're willing to just let them pick one for you. -Rod-
Yep.
Not criticising the system.
I got a robot of my own (albeit not the MinE system; see sig).
Just seems that the point of having an easily detachable system is that it's also easily attachable.
Sell the guitar without and offer the MinE as an optional extra for those who want it.
When it was first marketed this was how these system were being sold.
The fact that dealers and users are taking the thing off immediately implies that would be the way to go.

I support the use of the system but many don't.
Why should they have to pay more for something they don't want and then remove it anyway?

Doesn't make any sense.
I will support robot-haters who boycott this method of supply.

LesPaul90

Reaction score
I'm betting you will be seeing lots of those MinE-Tune systems for sale on Ebay as people replace them with std tuners.

dspelman

Reaction score
Had I ordered that same guitar...and I ordered it by specific serial number because I wanted THAT guitar with THAT top, without the robots, someone would have had to have broken the seal on the factory box and swap out the robot tuners for Grovers or whatever.
If you're special ordering the guitar done that way, you'll already have realized that the factory tape won't be on the box when you get it. If all that is important to you and you still want to replace the MinETune, you'll simply have to do it yourself.

I think both the dealer and the custom realize what it means if you want the guitar with the Min E Tune removed.

Latest Threads