Anyone willing to let me try their early 90s Standard near Lincoln Park, NJ?

Tim Bridge

Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is allowed in this forum but I was wondering if anyone near Lincoln Park, NJ who owns an early 90s LP Standard is willing to let me try it out for a bit? I'm thinking of buying online but I'd really love to see how one from that era feels first -- and none of the B&M stores around here have anything in stock w.r.t. used LPs at all, let alone from that era.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
I have a 1990 Standard.

I've also got a 2017 Classic. Only way I'd tell them apart blindfolded, would be 490/498 vs 57s. That's why I used to say, "the new Classic, is the old Standard."

Rob the Photog

Reaction score
How do the neck profiles compare between your ‘90 Standard and your ‘17 Classic? I had a ‘95 Classic for a long time, but the neck was too thin for me so I got a Traditional. Just wondering how 90’s Standard necks feel.

GibsonKramer

The Three G's
Reaction score
How do the neck profiles compare between your ‘90 Standard and your ‘17 Classic? I had a ‘95 Classic for a long time, but the neck was too thin for me so I got a Traditional. Just wondering how 90’s Standard necks feel.
Pretty much the same. 60s slim. I haven't ever measured it, but its not anything I pick up on. If I switch from say the 90s Standard to a "Modern" Standard, with a taper neck, pretty noticeable. Same with a 50s.

Naw... Same neck basically.

rogue3

Reaction score
Pretty much the same. 60s slim. I haven't ever measured it, but its not anything I pick up on. If I switch from say the 90s Standard to a "Modern" Standard, with a taper neck, pretty noticeable. Same with a 50s.

Naw... Same neck basically.
Ahhh...feel the same here too! Those necks from 1990 and before, slim, sleek, svelte,nice to run on.The funniest thing is back in 89/90, i thought they were beefy.:doh:...But compared to many of today's lesters, nyet!...i've learned.

Now same as '17 Classic?...Gibson is then onto a good thing in my book!

David Garner

Reaction score
I can't help you with the "let me play your guitar" part because I live in Georgia, but I have a 1993 Standard and a 2016 Traditional, and I can give you some thoughts.

The 93 Standard has what Gibson called a "59 profile" neck at the time, which to me is pretty much Goldilocks -- not too wide, not too thin, not too deep. Just right. The 2016 Traditional also has a very nice neck, but to my hand it feels wider and a hair flatter (not as deep, but more width to the neck side to side). The Trad isn't a thin neck by any means, it just feels slightly different from the 93. Both are extremely comfortable. I prefer the 93 Standard personally, but I have zero issues playing either one. My old PRS DGT was really similar to the 93 if that helps at all, though my DGT (which I traded for the 2016 Traditional) was a 2008, and I don't know if they might have changed the neck profile since then.

Latest Threads