Anyone using a Dr. Z Z Plus? Thoughts?

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm considering a Z plus that's a few months old that I can get at a pretty decent price.

It has the larger ultra lite cab vs the slightly smaller studio cab.

It's loaded with the Z-12 speaker made by eminence.

I'm currently using my 5e3 Tweed Deluxe and a 65 PRRI, and looking for something still in the fenderish 6V6 family. but with something a little extra.

I"m intrigued with the way the Doc has the two 6V6's laced up in parallel, but I'm curious about the available headroom with this configuration.

From you tube clips the cleans sound pretty good, and seems to like pedals.

Yea I know it's a 15 watt 6V6 Class A amp , but seems the good Doc may have pulled a rabbit out of his hat with this amp.

Anyone have any time through one of these combos?

Thanks! :thumb:

Pappy58

Reaction score
I can only comment on Maz18 and Route 66. I had the Maz, have the 66. I wish that was opposite. The Maz was a fat screamer. The 66 is a 30 watt :rofl:head and I play it through a Avatar 2x12...it only get to come when we play outside or in a very large room. Its a major compressed clean and takes all the pedals. One thing for sure, the Dr doens't make anything that sounds bad.:cheers2:

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well , although the silence is deafening, :dunno: I went ahead and ordered the Z plus. :thumb:

Should be here by Sat., and I'll post a NAD after I give it a good run.

Another NAD...I'm starting to feel like a halfway house for amps.

King Minimoose

Reaction score
That's like his gold standard isn't?

I think Ken Fischer had a little input in some way to that if not mistaken. Or the Dr. followed some of Ken's logic from his Trainwreck.

View attachment 458450
The Z-Wreck was designed in conjunction with Ken and Dr. Z for Brad Paisley, who didn't want to take his trainwrecks with him on the road anymore (since they are rarest amps in the world, though most people ignore them over dumbles, which I still don't understand. My dad was friends with Ken so I'm biased in no way haha). The Z-Wreck is Trainwreck through-and-through; very responsive and incredibly loud. The Z-Wreck Jr. is much more applicable for the vast majority of people, even though Ken didn't like master volume knobs

fry

Reaction score
the Dr doens't make anything that sounds bad.
This is a fact. I’ve owned a couple, and a friend of mine owned one, they all sound awesome. I had a Monza, it was kind of a one trick pony, no way you can get a decent clean out of it. The sound was phenomenal, though.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Funny, some people like them, some don't.

A good friend of mine doesn't like them..............he's not a mug player either, having earned a living playing in a Rock Band for many years & is now a noted Luthier.

He prefers Friedman & Bogner............& his old Bad Cat Hot Cat.

What I am trying to say, is just because someone likes any brand of Amp, doesn't mean you will. I have learned this first hand myself (although i have never played a Z so can't comment on them).

My 2c FWIW................oh & rolling Amps is cool.

:cheers2:

RAG7890

Reaction score
I'm considering a Z plus that's a few months old that I can get at a pretty decent price.

It has the larger ultra lite cab vs the slightly smaller studio cab.

It's loaded with the Z-12 speaker made by eminence.

I'm currently using my 5e3 Tweed Deluxe and a 65 PRRI, and looking for something still in the fenderish 6V6 family. but with something a little extra.

I"m intrigued with the way the Doc has the two 6V6's laced up in parallel, but I'm curious about the available headroom with this configuration.

From you tube clips the cleans sound pretty good, and seems to like pedals.

Yea I know it's a 15 watt 6V6 Class A amp , but seems the good Doc may have pulled a rabbit out of his hat with this amp.

Anyone have any time through one of these combos?

Thanks! :thumb:
IMHO Class A is killer...............15W Class A 6V6 will more than likely have some balls & it won't be quiet.

Have you played one of these as yet?

Good luck.

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMHO Class A is killer...............15W Class A 6V6 will more than likely have some balls & it won't be quiet.

Have you played one of these as yet?

Good luck.

YEP!

I bought it, And been playing with it some the last two days before I write up a NAD.

I recently had a Marshall SV20 C, and it didn't even last long enough for a NAD!

Rags, you hit it right on the head! This thing has BIG Balls, and yes it's loud!

This is 15 Gigging watts, not 15 bedroom watts!

This is more like a hot rodded Deluxe Reverb.

It does have a 7 Watt mode, where it drops out the second 6V6, and as expected, gets dirtier and with less headroom.

I've never heard 6V6's sing like in this amp!

It sounds really awesome, but quiet playing is not it's forte. It really shines when it's up on the step in it's sweet spot.

And it can get quite bright, but can be toned down.

Gotta say this cab is huge! either my Princeton Reverb or my 5E3 will fit inside the Z Plus cab with no problem.

And has a foot switch that when engaged will bypass the tone stack for crunch, and a pot on the foot sw. so you can dial in the amount of T/S bypass you want. Pretty cool and works awesome!

I'll probably do a NAD with Pics in a day or so.

Did I mention it's loud? :shock:

cherrysunburst00

TUBE AMP JUNKIE FOR LIFE BAD ASS
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
YEP!

I bought it, And been playing with it some the last two days before I write up a NAD.

I recently had a Marshall SV20 C, and it didn't even last long enough for a NAD!

Rags, you hit it right on the head! This thing has BIG Balls, and yes it's loud!

This is 15 Gigging watts, not 15 bedroom watts!

This is more like a hot rodded Deluxe Reverb.

It does have a 7 Watt mode, where it drops out the second 6V6, and as expected, gets dirtier and with less headroom.

I've never heard 6V6's sing like in this amp!

It sounds really awesome, but quiet playing is not it's forte. It really shines when it's up on the step in it's sweet spot.

And it can get quite bright, but can be toned down.

Gotta say this cab is huge! either my Princeton Reverb or my 5E3 will fit inside the Z Plus cab with no problem.

And has a foot switch that when engaged will bypass the tone stack for crunch, and a pot on the foot sw. so you can dial in the amount of T/S bypass you want. Pretty cool and works awesome!

I'll probably do a NAD with Pics in a day or so.

Did I mention it's loud? :shock:
HA HA. ALL Z amps are L O U D! Mini Z, Monza, (both EL84) and most recently Cure (6V6).

CONGRATS

cherrysunburst00

Reaction score
I can only comment on Maz18 and Route 66. I had the Maz, have the 66. I wish that was opposite. The Maz was a fat screamer. The 66 is a 30 watt :rofl:head and I play it through a Avatar 2x12...it only get to come when we play outside or in a very large room. Its a major compressed clean and takes all the pedals. One thing for sure, the Dr doens't make anything that sounds bad.:cheers2:
I've been SO GASsing for a Maz 8

cherrysunburst00

Reaction score
Make ya a good deal on this one!

I'm thinking it's just going to be a bit loud for my small music room.

This behaves more like a 30 watt amp.
Try an attenuator? Swart Night Light is really nice. Also Z has a nice one too.

That's always been an issue with Z amps. Monza was tamed with a ppimv, and Cure has a level control to tame it. Mini Z is still L O U D even with built-in attenuator, but I really dig its sound

Latest Threads