Anyone try LUNA yet?

redking

Reaction score
I was getting really frustrated with Logic ProX sputtering and crashing on me, even after I have frozen most of the tracks in the session, so I got fed up yesterday and downloaded UA Luna and bought the Neve Summing mixer and Studer A800 extensions and imported one of my Logic sessions into LUNA. Man, I was blown away with what it does for your drums as a starting point! You load up the drums through a drum bus and simply run it through the Neve Summing mixer and the drums punch you in the gut. Then you hit the low impedance switch on the summing mixer and then they kick you in the face! I will have to do a couple of comparison bounces to hear Logic vs. Luna back to back, but I have to re-do all of my fades first as you lose all that work when you export the session out of Logic.

tazzboy

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Right now Luna is only available for Apple/Mac Users with UA stuff.

LPSGME

Reaction score
Ummm? The UA web site says:

"Seamlessly integrate with other DAWs and easily import sessions using the industry‑standard Advanced Authoring Format (AAF)."

- It doesn't sound "easy" if you can't transfer fader moves. Is that correct that LOGIC fader moves won't import into LUNA?

"Easily use your favorite AU plug-ins and AU virtual instruments inside LUNA".

- It sounds like they are saying LUNA will run any party's AU plugins. Is that so?

"The First Recording Platform with Deep Apollo Integration"
LUNA gives Apollo owners the fastest recording environment for music production, editing, and mixing. In addition to its seamless hardware‑software integration with Thunderbolt‑equipped* Apollo and Arrow interfaces,
Can it be used with converters other than APOLLO?

Does that mean it only works with APOLLO converters? And if so, why would that be?

redking

Reaction score
Ummm? The UA web site says:

"Seamlessly integrate with other DAWs and easily import sessions using the industry‑standard Advanced Authoring Format (AAF)."

- It doesn't sound "easy" if you can't transfer fader moves. Is that correct that LOGIC fader moves won't import into LUNA?

"Easily use your favorite AU plug-ins and AU virtual instruments inside LUNA".

- It sounds like they are saying LUNA will run any party's AU plugins. Is that so?

"The First Recording Platform with Deep Apollo Integration"
LUNA gives Apollo owners the fastest recording environment for music production, editing, and mixing. In addition to its seamless hardware‑software integration with Thunderbolt‑equipped* Apollo and Arrow interfaces,
Can it be used with converters other than APOLLO?

Does that mean it only works with APOLLO converters? And if so, why would that be?
From a business perspective - UA considers itself to be the best in the world for both the hardware and software side of it, so they are betting on themselves by creating a whole recording environment around their products that includes the hardware, converters, plugins and DAW. The theory being - once you get hooked, you will never leave. To me, this is like the Apple model, although along the way Apple stopped giving a crap about their creative users to pump up their share price by catering to selfie takers. If UA can stay true to putting their user first, they have a good shot at success with Luna. Since they are a privately owned company as far as I can tell, it would make sense for them to continue to operate this way. If they sell out to an investment firm or do an IPO in the future, then the whole aspect of share price > customer comes into play for them too.

I don't see them changing from keeping this a closed system - ie. needing an Apollo interface to be a part of Luna. However as far as 3rd party plugins go, you can load externally developed plugins into Luna and they work fine. I am using my Pulsar Smasher 1176 on my snare for example and I will likely buy the Soundtoys rack to supplement as well. You still have the same problem of running out of DSP to run their UA plugins even in Luna since the plugins do not switch to running natively on your computer. Only the Luna extensions run natively on the computer for now (Neve Summing, Studer A800, Moog minimoog and the Ravel Piano). They say they are developing more of these. Also, Luna is not fully functioned yet, so some essential things are not there for now - eg. there is no track freezing to save processing power. They say all these functions are coming down the road. So for professionals that rely on certain functions, it might not work for them yet unless they have a bunch of outboard gear they rely on. For me, it will work fine.

As far as file export/import - I think it is exactly the same as if you were moving AAF files between any 2 DAW's, eg. from Logic to Pro Tools - the plugins and saved "moves" within the DAW do not follow the tracks as far as I know unless you bounced the result of all those actions to audio files. I purposely didn't do that because I want to use the tools within LUNA to try them out. The only thing that transfers is the exact location of the audio within the grid.

I don't expect everyone to love it, but it works for me way better than Logic so far - Luna seems to run very smoothly using a lot less RAM compared to Logic so far, but I have not done any recording yet - just a rough mix. With Logic, it overloads and craps the bed one out of every 5 or 6 times I press play or record. I know there are work-arounds to make Logic work more smoothly, but I hate screwing around with stuff like that - I just want it to work. I will produce a rough mix comparison between the 2 in the next few days. I don't even know how to bounce a track yet! :rofl:

Last edited:

LPSGME

Reaction score
I don't see them changing from keeping this a closed system - ie. needing an Apollo interface to be a part of Luna.:rofl:
I can see perhaps requiring Apollo converters for integration with UA software (when using their plugins in zero latency mode while recording). But I still don't see any reason for limiting LUNA to only the Apollo converters when mixing in no zero latency mode.

If they want to maintain some degree of UA product exclusivity, they should at least allow LUNA to work for people who have UA satellite systems with third party converters.

In any case the NEVE plugin sounds pretty nice in the demos.

redking

Reaction score
I can see perhaps requiring Apollo converters for integration with UA software (when using their plugins in zero latency mode while recording). But I still don't see any reason for limiting LUNA to only the Apollo converters when mixing in no zero latency mode.

If they want to maintain some degree of UA product exclusivity, they should at least allow LUNA to work for people who have UA satellite systems with third party converters.

In any case the NEVE plugin sounds pretty nice in the demos.
Who knows? - Maybe they will develop an option for UA Satellite owners down the road. I think this first version is the Minimum Viable Product for now to get it kicked off and into the market place.

This guy has done a video about his biggest issues with Luna so far.

redking

Reaction score
OK here is my completely unscientific comparison of 2 mixes of the same song in Luna vs. Logic. Bear in mind, I spent many hours on the Logic mix, whereas I spent about an hour or 2 on the Luna mix. Also there are different plugins being used. So is this a fair comparison? Probably not! But what do you guys think?

For me, the instruments seem more separate on the Logic mix, and seem more squished together in Luna. Some people might consider each of those a preference on their own. I think the bass sounds better and pokes through nicer on the Luna mix. The drums and hi-hat in particular are way different and in the Luna mix, the hi-hat was so sibilant I had to eq some high end out of it, whereas I don't think I did much of anything to the hi-hat or room mics on the Logic mix.

More than anything, it is the difference of many hours of work to get the Logic mix and a fraction of the time to get the Luna mix to that point, which I will continue to refine.

https://soundcloud.com/redking-377761695%2Fos-luna https://soundcloud.com/redking-377761695%2Fos-logic

LPSGME

Reaction score
Brought up the hi-hat and snare a bit in Luna to make Luna and Logic a closer comparison
IMHO the Logic mix has a slightly lower volume level by a db or so, which I believe is visible in the graphic.

But the Luna mix also has some appealing saturation and harmonics that are not in the Logic mix.

But I'd bet that a plugin or two added to the Logic main bus could make it comparable if not better.

That's the thing with all these amazing plugins - one ever knows what they will do to any particular mix until tried.

Ashby

Reaction score
I've spent some time with Luna. IMHO it makes sense for one narrow segment of users: people who spend a _lot_ of time switching back and forth between their DAW and the UA console AND who don't need a powerful DAW. For those people, it will be a godsend to use Luna to avoid that switching back and forth. But they need to be prepared to give up many features their current DAW has. For everybody else, it makes zero sense to use Luna.

TheDevice

Reaction score
I've been using it, pretty happy. I treat it like tape machine, very little editing or virtual instruments so it does mostly what I need. I am waiting for fader control surface integration though

Latest Threads