Anyone tried an A2 bridge with an A5 neck?

Musha Ring

Reaction score
I know the whole sound will vary depending on the pup, but I'm curious if anyone has tried it.

I have a spare set of Burstbucker 61s and a single 57+ I really like the sound of. Was thinking of dropping the 57+ in the bridge and the 61r in the neck.

goldtop0

Reaction score
A5s are generally the most strident sounding of the magnet lineup.
Tried that some years ago(put an A5 magnet into a neck Custombucker) and it completely changed the sound of my LP from subtle/sweet to raucous/brutal which I didn't like.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
My vintage wire WIZZ were A5 bridge/A2 neck, which was apparently the combo in a lot of vintage Bursts. The bridge was shrill at high volume, but the neck was just sublime.

ARandall

Reaction score
If you have the pickups just sitting there, then the time you have spent posting and waiting for replies about what others guess it could be like could have been used to for you to install them and for you to know what it is like.

AJK1

Reaction score
If you have the pickups just sitting there, then the time you have spent posting and waiting for replies about what others guess it could be like could have been used to for you to install them and for you to know what it is like.
You’re getting old and grumpy mate
Don’t you know young people can’t think for themselves lol
It is funny though, the amount of questions asked that could be just solved on their own initiative
Old school ain’t so bad.....

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Maybe you're right. I do seem to be 'triggered' more often than not by this sort of thing.

In my own head it seems like some sort of 'hanging with the cool kids' thing. If enough people approve they'll try it out - not realising that its got zero to do with anyone else's opinion and everything to do with what they like after having heard it in person - only you have your set of ears after all.

I got abused then put on ignore once by a guy on the Duncan forum who was trying to get people to give him a comparison of their views on Seth's vs Antiquities (IIRC) - when he had those very pickups mounted in guitars he owned and could do the comparison himself. :dunno: :facepalm:
You can only lead a horse to water after all.

jonesy

GLOBAL WIRING GURU
MLP Vendor
Reaction score
Try a set of A3's or A4's in both neck and bridge sometime :)

A5's can be too bright and A2s are often dull, of course this depends on the DC and wind of the pickup. YMMV

BadMongo

Reaction score
Try a set of A3's or A4's in both neck and bridge sometime :)

A5's can be too bright and A2s are often dull, of course this depends on the DC and wind of the pickup. YMMV
In the pickups I've wound (admittedly only a few sets), A4s have been the best sounding almost every time - sort of a throatiness in the attack that I really like. And though I never would have guessed it based on their typical description, the absolute best set I've wound was both A3s in a pretty low wind, turned out both chimey and chewy and are just a joy to play. Did do one slightly hotter set with an A8 in the bridge as well, seemed like everything I liked about UOA5s mixed with the parts I like from ceramics - but that's moving further and further from the original question.

garybaldy

Reaction score
I have a Tokai Firebird which had Creamery vintage style Firebird mini humbuckers retro fitted. A5 in bridge and A2 in neck. The A5 has the higher DCR. Neck was really muddy and over powering, bridge was thin and ice picky to the extreme. I swapped them around with bridge set as high as possible and the neck as low as possible. the guitar is superb now.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have swapped a few magnets about, substituted a5's, a2's and imguess i am still at a novice level picking out whats happening with each magnet. I.e. a comment above states that they find a5 shrill in the bridge, the wizz pafs i have with a5 i found 'smooth' sounding, took quite heavy distortion well, weren't amazingly hot, the winder states they are designed to push a non master volume amp that bit harder.

i bought another set from same part of the world with A4's in and found them quite shrill. They were really low dc resistance both under 7.

As mentioned already, you just gotta try them, its not an unheard of combination, it all depends on your pickups and guitar. Will be nothing like my experience, or could be similar.

i am trying to put more time into practicing at mo, and addressing some key issues, rather than tone chasing or other stuff. Been a smidge over a year since i took up the guitar seriously after a long layoff where my playing was basic at best.

Spudvader

Reaction score
I have a Les Paul Custom which comes with standard set a2 neck and a5 bridge, I swapped the magnets around, so a5 in neck and a2 in bridge and it done what I thought it would do. Brightened up the neck and made the bridge a bit rounder sounding. Ended up putting a rough cast a4 in the bridge and keeping the a5 in the neck

IGRocker

Reaction score
I have in the past on a set of Stewmac Parsons Street ‘buckers. Worked really well with that set. I tried it on my pair of Wizz (that replaced the Parsons), and wasn’t a fan. They now have have an A4 bridge and A3 neck, and I haven’t touched them in going on 6 years now!

2Muchgear

Reaction score
Ever tried A4'S?
I started magnet swapping a year or two ago. Seemed that my humbucker were all A2 (except for one Lester with BB pros). A4 was the LAST magnet I tried (I swapped in A3, UOA5, A8, short A5 Over time). I now find an A4 in the neck of a couple of LP’s (R8 with KZ115’s and R9 with Ants) and an A4 in combination with either short A5 or A3 in two P90 guitars (one R6 and one ‘61 SG Special).

i think it’s a less is more thing. I usually play straight in and seem to be able to eq easier with vol/tone knobs.

Spurg

Reaction score
I wrote another post on here about my experience with ReWind pickups ( https://www.mylespaul.com/threads/rewind-p-a-f-pickups.455348/ ) . But after extensive research and hours of audio samples, I had James build me a low output PAF set with an A5 in the neck and an A2 in the bridge. I love this combo and ended up doing the same set for another Les Paul for my dad. The middle position, which rarely got used before, now gets used all of the time. Play around with the volume and tone knobs as well to really dial it in.

dasherf17

Reaction score
You’re getting old and grumpy mate
Don’t you know young people can’t think for themselves lol
It is funny though, the amount of questions asked that could be just solved on their own initiative
Old school ain’t so bad.....
Some of the "newer ones" (I was, too) didn't want to take the risk of mucking anything up by diving in semi-clueless (not meaning any disrespect, just speaking of mi'self) too cautiously...

Gryphon

Reaction score
Anyone tried an A2 bridge with an A5 neck?

I know the whole sound will vary depending on the pup, but I'm curious if anyone has tried it.

I have a spare set of Burstbucker 61s and a single 57+ I really like the sound of. Was thinking of dropping the 57+ in the bridge and the 61r in the neck.
My first magnet swap effort was to swap over the A2 and A5 in my neck 490R and bridge 498T. Huge improvement to the neck, but I felt the bridge needed more oomph so went for a UOA5 which is like a weaker A5 - and that worked.

Spudvader

Reaction score
Do most humbuckers have same sized magnets? Can you swap magnets without damaging the pickup?
If you are careful then you shouldn't have any issues. Watch a few videos and read enough until ur comfortable doing it, it's not that hard. I've swapped a bunch of magnets in a bunch of pickups, I've only ever seen a double thick ceramic magnet, all the alnico ones I've had have been the same size. It's a really good way to shape the sound or change the output of a pickup and it's a whole bunch cheaper than buying a new pickup. Have fun :dude:

Latest Threads