Anyone succeded in quieting the hum/buz of theri Les Paul?

luisgarciaalanis

Reaction score
My Gibsons and in fact my strat to some extent do the same thing. I completely re wired with new pots n caps my Gibsons and thought i had messed it up, but they where the same before. I think its the ground in my house tbh.

Quick test, plug the ipod to the amp guitar Jack, low volume, and if its the ground you should hear that hum/buzz as well.

I even bought the Hum-X and made Zero diff :(

Indrek

Reaction score
Les Pauls with humbuckers don't buzz or hum if they're wired right. "humbucker" says it all.
Yes, because the pickups are the only part of a guitar's electronics that can pick up hum :rolleyes:

OP: Out of interest, when you tried the Micro-CUBE, did you run it on mains or battery power?

luisgarciaalanis

Reaction score
Yes, because the pickups are the only part of a guitar's electronics that can pick up hum :rolleyes:

OP: Out of interest, when you tried the Micro-CUBE, did you run it on mains or battery power?

mains, guitar hum/buzzes and iPod does not hum buzzes (tried the ipod on both the line-in and the input jack), mas gain/volume :( wouldn't this rule out being bad AC? plus all the stores I went to?

Indrek

Reaction score
mains, guitar hum/buzzes and iPod does not hum buzzes (tried the ipod on both the line-in and the input jack), mas gain/volume :( wouldn't this rule out being bad AC? plus all the stores I went to?
It would, assuming your problem had just one cause. More likely than not there's a number of them, each contributing to the hum. Try the Micro-CUBE on battery. If you get the same hum as on mains, then that would indicate that bad AC isn't one of the causes (or at least not a significant one). Also check that the bridge ground wire is present and forms a solid electrical connection.

Personally, I would suggest shielding the pickup, switch and control cavities properly, with conductive paint or copper tape. Why Gibson doesn't do something as elementary as this themselves is beyond me.

luisgarciaalanis

Reaction score
It would, assuming your problem had just one cause. More likely than not there's a number of them, each contributing to the hum. Try the Micro-CUBE on battery. If you get the same hum as on mains, then that would indicate that bad AC isn't one of the causes (or at least not a significant one). Also check that the bridge ground wire is present and forms a solid electrical connection.

Personally, I would suggest shielding the pickup, switch and control cavities properly, with conductive paint or copper tape. Why Gibson doesn't do something as elementary as this themselves is beyond me.

I ordered Shielding copper tape a couple of days ago lets see how that goes. The bridge is grounded to the guitar input jack the same location location where I grounded the shieldwire and the ground coming from the bridge Pickup. I checked continuity with the DMM

bryvincent

Reaction score
all electric guitars hum at high gain and volume. how much it hums depends on the pickup - SC vs HB, Alnico vs Ceramic Mags(i find pups with ceramic mags hums less), active vs. passive, shielded vs unshielded cavities etc., the venue- how is it wired, nearby appliances/electronics, even nearby factories within the electrical grid etc..
thats why if you check out some famous pros' live rig, most have noise gates/suppressor or AC line conditioner. and those who don't, you'll notice their hand goes straight to the volume knob instantly after playing or in a pause.

5F6-A

Reaction score
shielding kills some of the magic in tone..... I would not do it....

BTW ... are you Spanish by any chance ? :hmm:

siore

Reaction score
I agree bryvincent. Some also get the illusion of having gobs of gain by having multi-amp setups, in which you don't have to set the amp's gain very high (less noise). It sounds huge and tight at the same time! When they go to their lead sound, they usually kick in a pedal. It will be humming with the additional gain, but it isn't really noticeable since the guitar player is playing lines, and he switches it off once that part is over.

luisgarciaalanis

Reaction score
all electric guitars hum at high gain and volume. how much it hums depends on the pickup - SC vs HB, Alnico vs Ceramic Mags(i find pups with ceramic mags hums less), active vs. passive, shielded vs unshielded cavities etc., the venue- how is it wired, nearby appliances/electronics, even nearby factories within the electrical grid etc..
thats why if you check out some famous pros' live rig, most have noise gates/suppressor or AC line conditioner. and those who don't, you'll notice their hand goes straight to the volume knob instantly after playing or in a pause.

What you are saying contradicts the video I posted where the guy has high gain with no noise and no noisegate :(

bryvincent

Reaction score
What you are saying contradicts the video I posted where the guy has high gain with no noise and no noisegate :(

there is still noise on that guitar just way less than the other one on the clip. of course because the cavities are shielded properly and the pups are probably has ceramic mags which i said in my experience are less noisy than the ones with alnico(specially A2, stronger mags has less noise i guess). notice too that the player is on a different place or at least different position on the two guitars. in some cases of humming, the hum will go away(significantly less) just by turning 90 degrees from the noise source.

sangandongo

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Right now I have no pots, just the pickup connected to the jack, with its ground to the ground of the jack and the ground of the bridge of the guitar to the ground of the jack. So there is not even the possibility of a ground loop.

I had one cable until 5 days ago that I bought a monster cable, and it made no difference.

I am really puzzled, there is something I am missing because I have tried 3 different pickups.

But also on the guitar stores I went all gibsons I tried where humming on the amps I tried them.

The hum/buzz I am talking about is while on turning the gain up. The less gain the less hum. Consistant accross all amps, my guitar alone was tested on at leas 14 amps from my 3 to the ones on the guitar stores.

The test is simple, put the guitar on the stand, connect it to the amp, and crank the volume and gain. There is a permanent buzzing sound :(

That is why I ended up removing all the electronics and connecting the pickup to the jack alone to try to eliminate any possible sources of hum like bad wiring or ground loops :(

You are emitting electromagnetic interference.

Dude, honestly, I find this to be very dubious. Sounds like you're the one making noise. I do not think that you're actually going to stores and testing Les Pauls and finding they all have noise issues.

This thread is spurious at best. If you're looking for an answer, I say you have a grounding issue or dirty electricity or perhaps some fluorescents in your area.
:hmm:

circusboy28

Reaction score
Sangadongo - that seems to be what everyone is missing here. This guy is saying that EVERY guitar through EVERY amp he plays hums. If he's not taking the piss, which is possible, he's simply worrying about the unavoidable noise that comes, to a greater or lesser extent depending on the equipment, when you turn up the volume/gain.

It's a non issue, there is nothing wrong, if you play guitar loudly there'll be some noise, which will disappear when you play. If you can't understand that...

loneguitar

Reaction score
Nope, he's saying that every guitar he plays through every amp hums/buzzs. He says he went to Guitar Centre and heard the same buzz through every guitar into every amp when he turned up the gain. I think he's just hearing the increased noise that every amp makes when you turn up the gain and dime it.

Mate - it isn't a problem, it's what happens when you turn the wick up!!

That was my thought as well, if you can fluctuate the hum by turning down the gain on the amp. This happens will all amps.

Rikochet

Reaction score
it happens on everything when you turn the gain up, in fact its happening on my les paul plugged into one of those vox headphone amp things.

z-clay

Reaction score
I have never had that problem with Les Pauls but a couple of old Strats have drove me crazy over this issue.

River

Reaction score
OK, wait a sec. I just read the preamble to that video. This is another "I'm concerned about Gibon's lack of QC of late" thread, isn't it? From a new member who hasn't posted about much, if anything, else and who is guaranteeing us the guy in the video is not using a noise gate.

Chasenblues, popcorn will not suffice. I'm running out for some Cheezy-Pooofs. I'll share.

Latest Threads