Anyone see a 1956 Les Paul epiphone P90 pro in candy apple red yet?

snowscientist

Reaction score
Saw one on ebay from Japan, it was a 2017 model made in china like the other limited chicago blue P90 that I own. Anyway it looks incredible, cream kluson style tuners, cream p90s, cream guard, looks like a metallic dark candy red with cream binding. Only problem is with shipping it would be well over $800 to the USA. Does anyone know if this 2017 model would be released in the USA? How come Japan gets all the cool Epiphone releases? Anyone see this at the recent NAMM show? Really would love to find one without paying crazy shipping...

LSAR

Reaction score
Sounds gorgeous - something like those Gibson Gem models (I might have the name wrong) from a while back.

If it's like the Chicago Blue it's probably going to be worldwide but retailer specific - Japan tends to get their hands on things before the rest of the Epi-world.

Last edited:

theperm

Reaction score
I got my eyes on one also haven't seen them in the U.S. - @snowscientist how is the quality of the limited chicago blue p90 you have? did you ever get your hands on the candy apple red one??? I recently picked up a Tak Epi from Japan about 6 months back... came in like 3 days crazy. Thing is gorgeous. Couldn't be happier.

snowscientist

Reaction score
Have not gotten a candy red one yet, was actually looking for a gift for my brother. My Chicago blue one is nice, but I bought that used with upgrades already on it so it plays very well. The neck pickup does not lay parallel to the strings, but the sound is good so I don’t mess with shimming it. I would still love to see the candy red p90 guitar in person though, let me know if you see one.

snowscientist

Reaction score
Wow that looks great. From Japan of course. Please let me know how it plays and feels when you get it, very excited to hear more....

theperm

Reaction score
Arrived on Sunday. Incredibly fast shipping. I got it from Japan in like 3-4 days. My initial thoughts are wow. The action needs adjusting and the bottom fret ends may need polishing, but oh man... quality piece. And gorgeous. Feels solid. Electronics super tight. Haven't gotten a chance to plug it in and turn it up. But I will this week. Will post more info on how it sounds.
20180506_131525.jpg

Ambrola

Reaction score
I have an old Gold Top 56 with 9 90's. And I swear it plays and sounds as good or better than my LP's. I always pick it up when I want to play. I guess it is 10 or 15 years old?

theperm

Reaction score
The build quality really is unbelievable. I've always been a gibson guy and back in the day tried epiphone and thought they felt cheap. Not anymore. My budget also isn't what it used to be. I have to say i own several gibson models including a Lp custom and this feels just as good if not better than them.

snowscientist

Reaction score
Have you had a chance to play it through an amp yet? In for updates on how it sounds and feels with an Amp now that you have had it a few days....

theperm

Reaction score
@snowscientist yes actually rehearsed with it on Friday night. Best gtr I've ever owned really sounds and plays amazing. Even my bandmates were like wow. The pickups are the real deal. All I really had to do was raise the height of the bridge pickup and it was tone heaven (i like it as close as possible to the strings) Its a little on the bright side but nothing the tone knobs could not tame slightly (and they work well) and some minor eqing on my amp. I believe the pots are full on 500k which i usually have to replace on my gibbos since the 300k volume tend to be muddy, but i haven't measured them. Really shines with the mids around 3 o'clock and treble around 11. Playing through a Crate usa v series class a 30 watt head with JJ el84s. Guitar is worth every penny and then some. Gigging with it on Saturday. I ordered an epi hardshell case for it which came Friday. Action was great out of the box. Stays in tune ok not perfect. Just installed some dunlop strap locks and up and running. I was prepared to maybe pick up some Duncan antiquity p90s but really doesnt need any modifications. They actually sounded much better than the p90s that came in my LP special 50s tribute which i replaced with kinmans. At home the p90s were a little noisy but in the studio the gtr was surprisingly pretty quiet. All in all super happy. I'll try and post more pics later in the week!

Last edited:

lespaulfreak93

Reaction score
That's HOT! Any CAR LP is a stunner, just ask @DarrellV :thumb:
Happy late NGD, P90's and Candy Apple Red sound like the perfect recipe for a real winner.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
Arrived on Sunday. Incredibly fast shipping. I got it from Japan in like 3-4 days. My initial thoughts are wow. The action needs adjusting and the bottom fret ends may need polishing, but oh man... quality piece. And gorgeous. Feels solid. Electronics super tight. Haven't gotten a chance to plug it in and turn it up. But I will this week. Will post more info on how it sounds. View attachment 308104
20180506_131525-jpg.308104

:wow::wow::wow::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool: :dude::thumb:

Stunning! Just gorgeous! And you say it plays as well as it looks! +1 :thumb:

I'm not jealous..... much! :squint:

LOL! Enjoy that beauty, and please, post more :photos:

You were right, @lespaulfreak93 ! Thanks for the heads up on this one! Gotta get @frozenotter to see this too!

Welcome to the CAR club!! Exclusive membership.. LOL! :laugh2:

My humble 1982 Gibson.... paid a heck of a lot more for it than you did..:mad2: (JK) :D
Back around when I got it... OEM knobs and switchgear
After a boatload of mods...

Last edited:

theperm

Reaction score
@DarrellV that's a beauty as well! I think pretty much any Gibbo in CAR is stunning. Happy to be in the club! :) The more I play this bad boy the more I dig it. I was waiting for the right one to come along so to speak... lol. What kind of pickups do you have in there?

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
@DarrellV that's a beauty as well! I think pretty much any Gibbo in CAR is stunning. Happy to be in the club! :) The more I play this bad boy the more I dig it. I was waiting for the right one to come along so to speak... lol. What kind of pickups do you have in there?

Well, sir, I got lucky in that the year I wanted (1982) had Tim Shaw pickups in it. They have become somewhat legendary in that they were only made for about 6 years.
Zebras too!

I play a lot of clean stuff, but do like to crunch it up sometimes and these things sound really sweet to my ears. It seems from what I've found in here that some found them kinda meh, while others really like them, like me...

You may remember Tim was commissioned by Gibson to recreate a new style PAF for the Heritage 80 series. While not everything he wanted, many would agree he got pretty close and they were a noticeable difference sound wise from the T-Tops before them. Closer to the old 50's tone.

If you get bored you can read the whole journey my guitar has been through here, including rewinding the Shaws and building a custom Shaw with one of our winders here.

http://www.mylespaul.com/threads/th...standard-2-shaws-and-1-notta-shawatol.403157/

theperm

Reaction score
@DarrellV Wow that's a crazy story... never knew about the Tim Shaw era... I started playing in the early 90's so I must've just missed it. My first real axe was a 1990 or so Gibson 61 SG Reissue that had 57 classics. That sounded great but neck was too small for me. I like a fat rounded 50's neck so I eventually sold it.

Rays 10LESPAULS

Reaction score
Saw one on ebay from Japan, it was a 2017 model made in china like the other limited chicago blue P90 that I own. Anyway it looks incredible, cream kluson style tuners, cream p90s, cream guard, looks like a metallic dark candy red with cream binding. Only problem is with shipping it would be well over $800 to the USA. Does anyone know if this 2017 model would be released in the USA? How come Japan gets all the cool Epiphone releases? Anyone see this at the recent NAMM show? Really would love to find one without paying crazy shipping...
Hey guys, i have a 2017 Candy Apple Red 56 Pro. They are a
They are an American Music Supply exclusive. I love mine, plus my Gold Top 56
20200727_132242.jpg

6string6

Reaction score
damn that's a nice looking guitar! Here's hoping that Gibson does something like this next year, or maybe a Ferrari Red like the one Jared James Nichols plays. Or an Oxford Gray!! Just please Gibson give us more options for P90 LPs other than gold

Latest Threads