Anyone score one of the Adam Jones Les Pauls?

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Yep.
One of his more recent "lame format" videos where you just watch him shop for guitars.
He popped open a link to the forum, mentioned that it used to be a good source of information, but is now irrelevant or something like that.
I've tagged him a couple of times to get his opinion... no reply.

Ya... check his posting history. Contributed absolutely nothing to the forum other than being a paying member at one point.
He posted the video, people defended the forum in the comments, he came back long enough to say that he's sorry he ever contributed.
Fuck him.

He's been "taken" by fake guitars more than once... meaning he has flipped and sold fake guitars likely more than once.
Thanks for that insight. I haven't been around here long enough to have experienced that.
I'll keep that in mind. He is after all, a dealer.

KS 5150

Reaction score
No thanks. I'd probably go with a MIJ or have the Gibsons re-sprayed.

But I was under the impression the modern "lacquer" Gibson uses has so little nitro in it, that fading is not nearly the issue as it was 25+ years ago.
Nope, they still amber quite easily. I have a 2009 white Explorer that I bought new, that is now noticeably turning cream after 10 years. It always stays in its case so no exposure to UV light,

spartacus slim

Reaction score
A regular Custom Shop SB (even a Made to Measure) will be worth 2/3s what the original buyer pays for it in a year or two (at best), these AJs will only appreciate in value.
I agree in principle, but what I wonder is: will the AJs appreciate significantly from the current high prices that are due to widespread scalping in the pre-release period? Seems possible to me that they might even come down in price eventually if enough of them sit unsold at such inflated prices...

1all's Pub

Reaction score
I agree in principle, but what I wonder is: will the AJs appreciate significantly from the current high prices that are due to widespread scalping in the pre-release period? Seems possible to me that they might even come down in price eventually if enough of them sit unsold at such inflated prices...
Yeah, I doubt these HYPEr-inflated secondary market market prices will last. My comment was based on the Gibson MSRP and I think these AJs will likely always be worth more than their MSRP.

jeggz

Reaction score
If you came across a stolen one on Craigslist for a good price, would ya buy it?

GearHo

Reaction score
Not so long ago, anything Norlin was looked at as inferior compared to custom shop, and vintage.

Now with this Tool guy , all of a sudden outrageous prices are being commanded, regardless of all the previous experience drawn from past owners.

10-13 lbs guitars with pancake bodies and t top pickups are now so wonderful that it takes five figures to get one.

welcome to bizarro world.

ARandall

Reaction score
Not so long ago, anything Norlin was looked at as inferior compared to custom shop, and vintage.
Thats because our deliberate obscurification processes were working.....save for the 1974 white model of course.

Now with this Tool guy , all of a sudden outrageous prices are being commanded,
Well, silverbursts only became so expensive when Gibson said they were doing an AJ sig model. Of course Tool releasing an album helped too. But they have been more pricey for at least the last decade

regardless of all the previous experience drawn from past owners.
Well, its either 'you see what you want to see'.......or our successful obscurification yet again.

10-13 lbs guitars with pancake bodies and t top pickups are now so wonderful
Well, maybe more and more people are unfortunately not listening to myth and actually trying them with an open mind. One however must not discount the gradual improvement in the standard of guitarists and technique too since they were new in the 70's. Maybe its just good guitarists that make them 'wonderful'.

But please, in the regular forum do continue to slight this era as you are doing such a good job of here. Its only the good fight you are aiding in that will keep the prices low for those of us who love this era to continue.

GearHo

Reaction score
Thats because our deliberate obscurification processes were working.....save for the 1974 white model of course.

Well, silverbursts only became so expensive when Gibson said they were doing an AJ sig model. Of course Tool releasing an album helped too. But they have been more pricey for at least the last decade

Well, its either 'you see what you want to see'.......or our successful obscurification yet again.

Well, maybe more and more people are unfortunately not listening to myth and actually trying them with an open mind. One however must not discount the gradual improvement in the standard of guitarists and technique too since they were new in the 70's. Maybe its just good guitarists that make them 'wonderful'.

But please, in the regular forum do continue to slight this era as you are doing such a good job of here. Its only the good fight you are aiding in that will keep the prices low for those of us who love this era to continue.
well thank you for setting me straight, here Is my 76 les Paul custom, put your money where your opinion is I will take 7k for it

ps it weighs 11 lbs, has a pancake body and original t tops those are facts not slighting at all.

I have yet to See any number of comments making me believe that norlin era guitars are preferred over the vast majority of recent historics, again fact not slighting anything.

nor has my experience owning both norlin era guitars and historic, or vintage make me feel any differently.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
^ Thats ok. I don't care one way or the other about changing your opinion.....Us Norlin aficionados are in fact trying to get you to say bad things about them. Keeps the demand and therefore price low for us.

I have yet to See any number of comments making me believe that norlin era guitars are preferred over the vast majority of recent historics
The Norlin era subforum is full of them. You probably don't hang out there so haven't seen them.

Torshalla

Reaction score
Pretty cool from Gibson to replace them and make them a little extra special...

AJK1

Reaction score
well thank you for setting me straight, here Is my 76 les Paul custom, put your money where your opinion is I will take 7k for it

ps it weighs 11 lbs, has a pancake body and original t tops those are facts not slighting at all.

I have yet to See any number of comments making me believe that norlin era guitars are preferred over the vast majority of recent historics, again fact not slighting anything.

nor has my experience owning both norlin era guitars and historic, or vintage make me feel any differently.
I had a 72 Custom like yours (see my avatar) and it was a great guitar
I should never have sold it

GearHo

Reaction score
^ Thats ok. I don't care one way or the other about changing your opinion.....Us Norlin aficionados are in fact trying to get you to say bad things about them. Keeps the demand and therefore price low for us.

The Norlin era subforum is full of them. You probably don't hang out there so haven't seen them.
I started a thread about 70 s lips “ 70s can’t be that bad” go read what I said about These guitars.

for fucks sake, you commented on that thread, did you not read my comments? Or are you just trying to be a tool....I see you have not one, but two ten pound norlins, and are building a silver burst. Don’t get all poochie lipped because I feel slightly different than you.

I have owned this 76 custom since 2001, i Am the second owner, it has outlasted many other guitars.

so your condescending remarks are not only misplaced they are inaccurate as well.

The one thing you got right is you aren’t going to change my opinion, nor do I care to change anyone else’s, it’s a discussion forum, if You can’t handle others tnat disagree with you then too bad for you.

You really think my fuckin opinion is going to help keep prices low so you “aficionados” can gobble them up, check Reverb, those days are over, and I am just as thrilled as you “aficionados “

Last edited:

GearHo

Reaction score
I had a 72 Custom like yours (see my avatar) and it was a great guitar
I should never have sold it
I didn’t sell mine for the same reason. If anyone wants to offer me close to the asking prices of these ugly ass silver burst LPs it will be packed up in ten minutes.

Latest Threads