Anyone score one of the Adam Jones Les Pauls?

dmac in SC

Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One could say the same about you and your opinion.

Surely you have google??

I just love the fact that so many people are generally prejudiced against Norlin era guitars. So much the better for those who love their quirks and are wanting to keep buying them cheap!!

I expressed no opinion. I asked a question, and in the time it took you to insult me, you could have answered the question...and yes I do have Google but I am so uninterested that I will never seek the answer.

btw, i actually do like the silverburst look

Hogie34

Reaction score
One could say the same about you and your opinion.

Surely you have google??

I just love the fact that so many people are generally prejudiced against Norlin era guitars. So much the better for those who love their quirks and are wanting to keep buying them cheap!!
I’m not. I love Norlin era guitars. About as vintage as I’ll be able to afford.

I don’t like the color that the silver burst ages into. I think the silver burst when it’s still silver is as bad ass as it gets. It’s when it turns to booger burst or baby sh** burst that I lose interest . To each their own .

ARandall

Reaction score
I expressed no opinion. I asked a question, and in the time it took you to insult me, you could have answered the question...and yes I do have Google but I am so uninterested that I will never seek the answer.

btw, i actually do like the silverburst look
If you'd merely wanted to ask a question, then you would have used google and not needed to post at all. No, your posting here (and your belligerent, judgemental and aggressive tone) was not asking at all.
Its amazing how much whinging goes on when merely the very same attitude is simply reflected back on the original perpetrator.

ARandall

Reaction score
No thanks. I'd probably go with a MIJ or have the Gibsons re-sprayed.

But I was under the impression the modern "lacquer" Gibson uses has so little nitro in it, that fading is not nearly the issue as it was 25+ years ago.
Fading is dyes.
Yellowing is lacquer......specifically the amount of additives in it to reflect the damaging portion of light.

And the 'so litlle' bit is not the case. It is the lacquer that forms the coat. This 'so little lacquer' formulation is probably still over 99% of the total solids.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Price scalping on these is wild, especially how those looking to flip them were already listing them at massively inflated prices before they had even taken delivery of pre-ordered guitars.

Looks like these signature models aren’t very accurate to the original guitar in terms of some details like body shape, knob placement etc...

That said, best of luck to anyone who has their heart set on getting one. I hope you find a reasonable deal somewhere, though I think it won’t be easy. Maybe after the marketing hype cools off?

questionman

Reaction score
Trogly posted his unboxing of the VOS and aged versions

Sorry but I have a hard time understanding the hype. 10K for the aged seems like a lot. And maybe the aging looks better in person but IMO from the shots he had it really didn’t, especially the back of the neck. It’s cool that they are reissuing guitars other than the“normal” block of bursts but honestly....could they pick an uglier guitar? And price it any higher?

1all's Pub

Reaction score
No thanks. I'd probably go with a MIJ or have the Gibsons re-sprayed.

But I was under the impression the modern "lacquer" Gibson uses has so little nitro in it, that fading is not nearly the issue as it was 25+ years ago.
I don’t think that it’s because it has “so little nitro”, I think it would be more correct to say that the modern guitars have stuff added to the nitrocellulose lacquer (like plasticizers) that slows the yellowing of the clearcoat. (Someone correct me if I am wrong.)

So it’s not a matter of their being less nitro, but rather the addition of other additives to the mix. That said, the clearcoat on my 2010 Silverburst Custom is starting to yellow slightly, but the guitar still looks silver rather than green... give it another 20-30 years though and I suspect it will start to “green up“. Which I am fine with... mostly cuz I’ll probably be be taking a dirt nap by then anyway. Ha!
291D4E50-6E9C-4AB0-8774-695F3EFC7316.jpeg

Oddball667

Reaction score
I dont understand the price , cant you have a custom made the way you want it for about the same?

1all's Pub

Reaction score
What’s not to understand. It’s a celebrity reissue. Those ALWAYS cost more.

And judging by how fast this one sold out, Gibson is probably thinking they didn’t charge enough. Ha! ;)

Pearly Gates Reissues are for sale on the used market for anywhere between $12k & $20k. Guitars like this are a moment in time, once they’re done, they’re done. Only so many ever... simple supply & demand. And if a person is a big Tool fan (I’m not BTW, I just have always had a thing for SBs), you only get once shot at it, so I totally get it.

A regular Custom Shop SB (even a Made to Measure) will be worth 2/3s what the original buyer pays for it in a year or two (at best), these AJs will only appreciate in value.

Last edited:

CB91710

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep.
One of his more recent "lame format" videos where you just watch him shop for guitars.
He popped open a link to the forum, mentioned that it used to be a good source of information, but is now irrelevant or something like that.
I've tagged him a couple of times to get his opinion... no reply.

Ya... check his posting history. Contributed absolutely nothing to the forum other than being a paying member at one point.
He posted the video, people defended the forum in the comments, he came back long enough to say that he's sorry he ever contributed.
Fuck him.

He's been "taken" by fake guitars more than once... meaning he has flipped and sold fake guitars likely more than once.

Latest Threads