Anyone running a HB sized P90 in the neck with a PAF-style HB at the bridge?

Gabriel

Reaction score
I find myself playing my LP with the neck pickup and very little gain, with volume at 7-8 and I like those quacky almost strat-ish sounds I get. And given that for pretty much anything else I use the bridge pup, I thought I could replace the neck pickup with a P90 (BTW I love P90s).

My bridge pickup is an antiquity humbucker (as is the neck currently). Anyone successfully pairing a low output bridge bucker with a P90 in the neck? Any recommendation or even better clip?

Thanks in advance! :dude:

cooljuk

Transducer Producer
Reaction score
I don't have a clip, but YES!

When I started working on my "Buckhummers", my PAF sized P-90 types, I was very focused on getting the neck to sound how I wanted. The bridge came out pretty much dead on the first time without too much adjustment. While tweaking the neck pickup, I kept one of my Low Output PAFs in the bridge of my SG to use as a reference point as I worked through coil, magnet, screw options on the Buckhummer.

It's a neat combination, and it served my purpose, but I think if I were to keep a PAF/P-90 combination in a guitar it would have to be a (vintage) high output PAF in the bridge with a bright magnet like an A4 (and a lower output P-90 neck). That would give a little more impact to the "channel switching" that could be done with the selector switch. I love going from a sweet warm, but clear, neck to a raspy, throaty, growl of a hot and bright bridge PAF!

zoork_1

Reaction score
I've played a Harmonic Design Z-90 and Burstbucker II for some time. The Z-90 deliver a nice "punchy" tone - still with clarity - that go well with my BB (at least to my ears).

/z

River

Reaction score
[SC]http://soundcloud.com/river-bottom-blues-band/a-capella[/SC]

Playing '92 Standard w/Phat Cat neck, 490R bridge. Bridge flipped to tame it, as I EQ to the neck.

6979999223_5756ea79b1_c.jpg

Through:

7480979542_ae51cb2fbe_z.jpg

Best pickup combo, ever, that isn't a Tele vintage spec set.

zoork_1

Reaction score
[SC]http://soundcloud.com/river-bottom-blues-band/a-capella[/SC]

Playing '92 Standard w/Phat Cat neck, 490R bridge. Bridge flipped to tame it, as I EQ to the neck.

6979999223_5756ea79b1_c.jpg

Through:

7480979542_ae51cb2fbe_z.jpg

Best pickup combo, ever, that isn't a Tele vintage spec set.

Nice guitar and amps there....:cool:

mdubya

Reaction score
I have a Duncan Phat Cat to go in the neck of my SG, to partner with the 57 Classic + in the bridge. I haven't gotten around to installing it yet though. I lowered the 496R (I think that is what it is) and raised the pole screws and now I really don't dislike it anymore. :hmm:

I will put the Phat Cat in one day, though.

Hector Arcadius

Reaction score
River, it's been a while since I last saw that Standard of yours and, honestly, I had missed it. What an amazing top that is...

Gabriel

Reaction score
River, I love the clarity and I've seen you praise the phat cats in several threads.

I would have jumped on one already if it hadn't been for the shinny cover that will be a miss-match with the rest of my hardware (my antiquity at the bridge is uncovered though). But after your clip I will probably ignore it.

Thanks!

hamerfan

Reaction score
I use Phat Cat neck with a A5 and a A3. This goes well with a SD 59 bridge.

mad dog

Reaction score
Yes, in a Samick SAT650. Very nice ES-335 type. The stock neck p/u is too soft sounding, bridge rather nice. So I lucked into a pair of used Stephens Design "the pig" p/us, HB sized P-90. One of those in the neck makes for a very useful sound. Clearly different, sharper on its own, also changes the middle sound for the better.

MD

WebGringo

Reaction score
mean 90 neck and a slightly modified hot n soggy from mhd with a A2 mag in the bridge of my es guitar, that is one sweet combo, for sure.

zontar

Reaction score
Well I have LP copy with a P-Rail in the neck and a JB in the bridge--so it doesn't quite fit the description of the OP--but I love the combination of those pickups.

100_3088.jpg

corbo

Reaction score
Have a RS guitarworks Solar flair , which has a fralin p90 in the neck and a Fralin HB in bridge position, guitar I use the most< love the combo

SrDeMaFp

Reaction score
Mean 90 N & Duncan AIIPro for me. Great combo!

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
I am trying to get a deal done on a Phat Cat for my neck position. The stock Burstbucker Pro would remain in the Bridge (2006 Les Paul Standard) . I guess the Burstbucker Pro is sort of PAF right? The guy I am trying to get the Phat Cat from has a set of Phat Cats and at the moment wants to sell them together at a great price. My initial thought was to still run the humbucker at the bridge and sell the bridge Phat Cat but I am wondering if I should try the 2 Phat Cats together.

mdubya

Reaction score
I am trying to get a deal done on a Phat Cat for my neck position. The stock Burstbucker Pro would remain in the Bridge (2006 Les Paul Standard) . I guess the Burstbucker Pro is sort of PAF right? The guy I am trying to get the Phat Cat from has a set of Phat Cats and at the moment wants to sell them together at a great price. My initial thought was to still run the humbucker at the bridge and sell the bridge Phat Cat but I am wondering if I should try the 2 Phat Cats together.

If you like the Burstbucker Pro, that is all that matters.

The Phat Cats are very good sounding P-90's. I don't think you could go wrong trying both.

I am pretty sure I would prefer both Phat Cats over the BBP/PC combo. But, as I noted previously, I am using a 496R in the neck of an SG, and lowered into the body with the pole screws raised up, it delivers great, unexpectedly good tone.

jamman

Reaction score

I think the BB's use a Long magnet

Latest Threads