Anyone replace their LP Custom's 490r/498t pups? if so with what?

logen99999

Reaction score
Hey guys, I love the way the 490 and 498s sound in my custom, but they are definitely more suited towards slightly more modern tones. they scream apatite for destruction. it's great but I can help wonder how other pups would sound in it. anyone replace their stock LP custom pups? if so what did you go with and how did it change the tone?

Reaction score
I found them too hot for my tastes - I changed them to a Seymour Duncan :Vintage Blues" set [which I a matched set of 59's]. I also removed the PCB board, installed a Stew-Mac "premium" wiring kit, and completely shielded the guitar at the same time.

The difference was like.... well, like a whole new guitar... a whole new BETTER guitar.

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Try changing the magnets. A4 A8

Malchik

Reaction score
I found them too hot for my tastes - I changed them to a Seymour Duncan :Vintage Blues" set [which I a matched set of 59's]. I also removed the PCB board, installed a Stew-Mac "premium" wiring kit, and completely shielded the guitar at the same time.BETTER guitar.
Was it a Custom? I thought they were still wiring them with regular Gibson stamped pots and a ceramic caps.

David Garner

Reaction score
I changed the magnets to A3 (490) and UOA5 (498) and really liked them, but I recently swapped them for a Classic 57/57+ set, and I'm never going back.

57 Classics are looser in the bottom end, sweeter on the top end, and smoother in the midrange to my ears. They have a perfect 70s tone through a Marshall 18 Watt. They sound nice and vintage-y through a Deluxe Reverb. I love them.

Ddavid

Reaction score
Any Gibson made in the last few years gets a PCB board and 300K pots.

Yuck.
Really? I haven't heard that before. I thought Les Paul Customs and all other Custom Shop guitars were wired using the traditional method.

episode666

Reaction score
I've put duncan distortion in the bridge position with the gold cover, looks stock but delivers the brootal :)

Ides of March

Reaction score
Yup I removed the 490/498 out of my 11 Custom and put a JB in the bridge and a 59 in the neck... great tone.

chrisj1602

Reaction score
I am about to change mine, I'm going for Bare Knuckle but not decided which yet, might go for the PG Blues set.

Reaction score
If I changed mine out, I'd probably go Seth Lovers.

Shawn Lutz

Reaction score
Question: Anyone replace their LP Custom's 490r/498t pups? if so with what?

Answwer: No, it has never been done before

ElhazGuy

Reaction score
I'd put what my Trad Pro has in it: BB 3 (b) and 57 (n). I just love how they bring me some large amount of possibilities when it comes to tones/frequencies.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
What style of music do you play?

If you're looking for Vintage Blues-Rock:
Cheap effective solution: Seymour Duncan's '59.

Expensive try-out solutions: Boutique pickups.
Hit "search" on this Forum!

framos

Reaction score
I tried the BB2/BB3 and 57/57+ combos in mine, and stayed with the latter.

EDIT: I don't own the guitar anymore.

Raidersfan

Reaction score
I changed the magnets to A3 (490) and UOA5 (498) and really liked them, but I recently swapped them for a Classic 57/57+ set, and I'm never going back.

57 Classics are looser in the bottom end, sweeter on the top end, and smoother in the midrange to my ears. They have a perfect 70s tone through a Marshall 18 Watt. They sound nice and vintage-y through a Deluxe Reverb. I love them.

I also swapped mine for the 57/57+ set, and absolutely agree. :dude:

frankv

I have a new love.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
:)
Hey guys, I love the way the 490 and 498s sound in my custom, but they are definitely more suited towards slightly more modern tones. they scream apatite for destruction. it's great but I can help wonder how other pups would sound in it. anyone replace their stock LP custom pups? if so what did you go with and how did it change the tone?

I have had almost every major "vintage" set of pickups. Throbaks ( 2 different sets ) Wizz, SD bonamassas, SD ants, JB/Jazz and 59.... I have come to the conclusion that I am not in the camp of vintage sounds..I want modern. Everytime I try a different vintage voiced set I find myself very disappointed. I'm trying one more time with a set of Shaws... After that I want powerful nasty mofos in my LP... I listen to the Beano album..Claptons sound..boring... not for me and most likely never was. I hear all this talk about vintage this and that... boring. Its 2014, its about time I moved on boys.

This is prolly why I love my 14k 498. Gee I sure do miss my 1980 set of dirty fingers.

Veeing Fly

Reaction score
I guess I'm the odd duck here. When I bought my used 89 LPC it had the stock Bill Lawrence circuit board pup in the neck, and I forget what in the bridge (Seymour?). I swapped those out for a 498/490 set so I would get what Gibson had in mind for today's LPC's. I usually play with a gnarly tone with a ton of gain, and this guitar sounds like a beast.

Latest Threads